Like Tree2Likes

Xray T3 2011

Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 PM
  #1636  
Tech Master
iTrader: (101)
 
mickrcarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Marietta Ohio
Posts: 1,522
Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default







just some pics of my anodized Black (by owensracing) T3 2011
mickrcarver is offline  
Old 03-08-2011, 01:21 PM
  #1637  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
jammincrtjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: GA
Posts: 969
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Looks really good!
jammincrtjames is offline  
Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 PM
  #1638  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (12)
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,267
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Nice Pics !!
RC MARKET is offline  
Old 03-08-2011, 02:02 PM
  #1639  
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,914
Default

Originally Posted by kcunamay View Post
Got my T3'11 conversion kit and thought I'd share chassis pics. Left is the '11
I'ts interesting to note, that my Smokem T3 chassis is almost identical (same width etc) to the T3'11 except for some other cell tape slots and the single point steering.
Skiddins is offline  
Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM
  #1640  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (8)
 
Integra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 12,486
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by omegaf View Post
yea, it seems there is no way to stop it. i was only hoping that a higher ride height and stiffer springs would make it harder for the chassis to hit the ground. But if you say the setup is ok like this then i will leave it.

i don't understand why the cars are made like this though. even my nitro cars are the same. you don't ever want the chassis to hit the ground because that would take weight off the wheels and cause loss of traction at best or the whole thing could end up flying in the air on a big bump. surely there has to be a way to control suspension travel?


Do you honestly think you are smarter then the engineer's who design these vehicles ?


Not tying to be an Ass, But really. Our cars are designed to " Chassis Slap " for good reasons.
Integra is offline  
Old 03-08-2011, 02:17 PM
  #1641  
Tech Master
iTrader: (2)
 
DS Motorsport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,448
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by omegaf View Post
yea, it seems there is no way to stop it. i was only hoping that a higher ride height and stiffer springs would make it harder for the chassis to hit the ground. But if you say the setup is ok like this then i will leave it.

i don't understand why the cars are made like this though. even my nitro cars are the same. you don't ever want the chassis to hit the ground because that would take weight off the wheels and cause loss of traction at best or the whole thing could end up flying in the air on a big bump. surely there has to be a way to control suspension travel?
In both cases you will have an infinite springrate, when the chassis hits the ground the springrate becomes infinite and when you want the suspension to be stiff enough for the chassis never hit the ground you will need an infinite springrate as well.

However when you make the suspension stiff enough so the chassis will never hit the ground handling will suffer tremendously. So the chassis hitting the ground now and then is the best option. You could reduce this to a minimum by tuning in the suspension (rideheight, springs and dampers) to perfection but when you clip a curb it will still scrape over the curb. If it doesn't you have your rideheight set to high.
If it never hits the ground you have your rideheight to high as well.

Just get used to the fact the chassis will be scratched after the first five minutes you ran the car.
DS Motorsport is offline  
Old 03-08-2011, 02:41 PM
  #1642  
Tech Master
iTrader: (17)
 
Owen RaCing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Valley
Posts: 1,940
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by mickrcarver View Post

just some pics of my anodized Black (by owensracing) T3 2011
Straight dope!

(The funny part is, looking at those pictures i'm so used to blacked Xray's that I forgot they come orange and your car was any different. LOL)
Owen RaCing is offline  
Old 03-08-2011, 05:05 PM
  #1643  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
Today released new option parts
I used the new bulkhead clamps on the weekend, they're a great tuning option. Has anyone used arrowmax CVDs before? Just wondering how long they last, the price is nice

Originally Posted by Cristian Silva View Post
Big thanks to Paul from Flying Fox for the aweswome gear Diff, first time running one I found it had a better feel, power out of corners and consistent throughout the whole run than a ball Diff which lead me to a state titles win.
It's a territory not a state! Well done tho bud
CraigM is offline  
Old 03-08-2011, 06:08 PM
  #1644  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (3)
 
Gav-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 490
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Yeah, ran the clamps last week... A massive improvement imo.

Gave me a LOT more grip. a big +1 from me.
Gav- is offline  
Old 03-08-2011, 08:28 PM
  #1645  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (129)
 
Dusttt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Lake Forest
Posts: 2,373
Trader Rating: 129 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by RC MARKET View Post
Today released new option parts
When and where can I get these clamps?
Dusttt is offline  
Old 03-08-2011, 09:19 PM
  #1646  
The Evicerator
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 4,145
Default

Originally Posted by Dusttt View Post
When and where can I get these clamps?
I believe that RC America is set to receive some in their next shipment sometime this month!
Steve Weiss is offline  
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 PM
  #1647  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Gav- View Post
Yeah, ran the clamps last week... A massive improvement imo.

Gave me a LOT more grip. a big +1 from me.
What hole & shims did you use gav?
CraigM is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 12:21 AM
  #1648  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 189
Default

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
In both cases you will have an infinite springrate, when the chassis hits the ground the springrate becomes infinite and when you want the suspension to be stiff enough for the chassis never hit the ground you will need an infinite springrate as well.

However when you make the suspension stiff enough so the chassis will never hit the ground handling will suffer tremendously. So the chassis hitting the ground now and then is the best option. You could reduce this to a minimum by tuning in the suspension (rideheight, springs and dampers) to perfection but when you clip a curb it will still scrape over the curb. If it doesn't you have your rideheight set to high.
If it never hits the ground you have your rideheight to high as well.

Just get used to the fact the chassis will be scratched after the first five minutes you ran the car.
It is true to a certain extent. The chassis hitting the ground will definitely bounce off hard. However, when the suspension bottoms out and the spring compacts, the tyres still absorb part of the bump. it is a lot better to have the suspension bottom out and let the tyre absorb the bump than let the chassis take the hit. I do see your point though. I might try a simple mod for suspension travel if i can come up with a good idea.
omegaf is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 06:50 AM
  #1649  
Tech Master
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 1,263
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by omegaf View Post
It is true to a certain extent. The chassis hitting the ground will definitely bounce off hard. However, when the suspension bottoms out and the spring compacts, the tyres still absorb part of the bump. it is a lot better to have the suspension bottom out and let the tyre absorb the bump than let the chassis take the hit. I do see your point though. I might try a simple mod for suspension travel if i can come up with a good idea.
If you don't want the chassis to hit the ground when the suspension bottoms out, put some washers on the shock shaft outside the shock body to limit the travel. Unnecessary in my opinion, along with many others but it should give a result close to what you want. We've limited the travel of the shocks back in the day with rubber o-rings to try to keep cars from traction rolling but not for keeping the chassis from bottoming out.
CraigX is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 09:55 AM
  #1650  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (15)
 
M-Technic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 2,562
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Are you trying to eliminate chassis scrape to keep your chassis looking brand new? If so, just buy a chassis protector. If you are doing it because you think it is bad for handling, well, putting any type of limiter on the shock or otherwise will have the same effect once the limiter is hit (just the same as if the chassis hit).

I guess I don't follow what you are trying to achieve.
M-Technic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.