Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Big Bore T.C. shocks VS. Regular T.C. Shocks >

Big Bore T.C. shocks VS. Regular T.C. Shocks

Big Bore T.C. shocks VS. Regular T.C. Shocks

Old 04-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)
Default Big Bore T.C. shocks VS. Regular T.C. Shocks

Hello all I am wondering what major differences between Big Bore T.C. shocks would be vs the standard shocks. What would I expect to feel on the track, and such?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecaptain
Hello all I am wondering what major differences between Big Bore T.C. shocks would be vs the standard shocks. What would I expect to feel on the track, and such?
The only thing I think you would notice is you'll have more "dampening" on the standard shocks vs. the Big Bores. But I think you'll have to drive the wheels off both style of shocks to really see or notice the difference.

Some of the top manufactures haven't even converted to the Big Bores. So I don't think there is much benefit with the Big Bores other than a lower CG.

Team Durango done excessive testing for months with both style shocks prior to releasing there kit and released there kit with standard shock styles. I know AE still uses standard, Tamiya still uses them and I think Volkner still uses the standard shocks on his 14BD7

Comes down to more dampening I believe
Old 04-01-2014, 08:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by NEED-MORE-SPEED
The only thing I think you would notice is you'll have more "dampening" on the standard shocks vs. the Big Bores. But I think you'll have to drive the wheels off both style of shocks to really see or notice the difference.

Some of the top manufactures haven't even converted to the Big Bores. So I don't think there is much benefit with the Big Bores other than a lower CG.

Team Durango done excessive testing for months with both style shocks prior to releasing there kit and released there kit with standard shock styles. I know AE still uses standard, Tamiya still uses them and I think Volkner still uses the standard shocks on his 14BD7

Comes down to more dampening I believe
Interesting, I bet with the big bore shocks theres more of a tuning window to get the correct shock package.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I would imagine it would benefit parking lot bumpy tracks. Just like off-road big bore shocks.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If they include them on all the kits...how are they supposed to make money in upgrades?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I thought they only use bigger bores when running short shocks to get the same fluid displacement. I haven't seen a large bore long shock yet. Correct me if I'm wrong
Old 04-01-2014, 10:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Interesting, I bet with the big bore shocks theres more of a tuning window to get the correct shock package.
Well Im more of a fan regarding the Big Bore shocks. I did a little digging between the two and the advantages of the standard is you have more dampening.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Unless you're dropping your car from shoulder height a few times a race like offroad, standard bore stuff is fine. Big bore would just be a bit more weight way up high in the car.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:31 PM
Tech Adept

a nice artical explaining how dampers work.

http://www.kaztechnologies.com/filea...z_Tech_Tip.pdf
Old 04-02-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Champion

That is a very interesting article. I read about halfway through and dont have time to sit down and finish it. Anyways so it sounds like the only difference between the big bore shocks and the regular shocks is more dampening, and a lower cg. Now I have another question regarding shock pitons. Currently I am running 3x1.2mm shock pistons with about32.5 weight front and 27.5 rear (AE oil dont have cst on the top of my head). Anyways if I get a different pistons and drill them out to have say 10 holes 6 on the outside and 4 on the inside and go up to an = pack amount numbers wise anyways. For example if I am running 400 cst front @ 3.6 (1.2x3) then to run 10 holes at .5mm each then I would need to go up to 550 cst to get an = pack. What would be the benefit or running smaller more holes vs larger fewer holes?
Old 04-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

That is a very interesting article. I read about halfway through and dont have time to sit down and finish it. Anyways so it sounds like the only difference between the big bore shocks and the regular shocks is more dampening, and a lower cg. Now I have another question regarding shock pitons. Currently I am running 3x1.2mm shock pistons with about32.5 weight front and 27.5 rear (AE oil dont have cst on the top of my head). Anyways if I get a different pistons and drill them out to have say 10 holes 6 on the outside and 4 on the inside and go up to an = pack amount numbers wise anyways. For example if I am running 400 cst front @ 3.6 (1.2x3) then to run 10 holes at .5mm each then I would need to go up to 550 cst to get an = pack. What would be the benefit or running smaller more holes vs larger fewer holes?
I believe you would get more high speed damping (over bumps etc) with the smaller holes.
Someone helpfully sent me a link to this chart recently, it's for Xray but should give you some idea;

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/xray...art2013_05.pdf
Old 04-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I believe you would get more high speed damping (over bumps etc) with the smaller holes.
Someone helpfully sent me a link to this chart recently, it's for Xray but should give you some idea;

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/xray...art2013_05.pdf
Hm that Is interesting, too bad it doesnt go up to more than 4 hole pistons.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Tech Champion

I have another questions regarding B.B. vs Standard. What is the weight difference between the full assembled shocks, including springs and such.