R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #46
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
Ok, so here is the deal. Android cannot deal with the comma as a decimal separator due to problems in the OS. These bugs may be fixed in later releases of Android, but that won't help most phones that are out there now. If you simply use the "period" as your decimal separator, will the app work on your phone set to Swedish ? Or does it fail in that manner too.
No, it will fail.
The built in calculator app uses a decimal point, overriding the locale setting, so there should be a workaround for this problem.

Found this for another android app:
OnTrack has been updated to 1.8.2 in the Android market. This version is a minor update with the following changes:
In some locales the comma is used as the decimal separator instead of the period. Unfortunately there is a bug in Android 1.5 that doesn't allow users to enter a comma in these locales for decimal fields. The problem that arose is when editing an entry, OnTrack would copy the value into the edit field with a comma making it an invalid number. OnTrack now automatically changes the comma to a period to workaround this Android issue. In all all other places in OnTrack a comma should be displayed if this is what your locale uses as the decimal separator.
MackanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:36 PM   #47
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Just wanted to introduce the next version of a new app I just placed on the AndroidMarket. It is named "RC Gears". It is a simple rollout and final drive calculator.

It is version 2.0 and now costs $0.99. The original version was named "Gears!". I renamed this version because of name clashes with a toolkit that Google used to develop by the same name. RC Gears is more appropriate for this app anyway. I have added the ability to store up to 5 sets of calculations by model name. This makes it easier to use when racing multiple cars on the same day.

You can post here for any questions or problems you might have.

I hope it is self-explanatory, but if not, here is a quick start...

When app first opens, you can type in a model name for the first page of settings you will define.

Next you need to enter your cars Internal Drive Ratio. For pan cars/direct drive axles, you would enter 1.0. For all other cars enter the correct value, like 1.83 for a Losi JRX-S Type R touring car...

Next pick you tire type, foam or rubber. This determines if you are gonna calculate Roll Out or Final Drive Ratio. For Foam it will use tire diameter to calculate a Roll Out value. For Rubber, it will calculate Final Drive Ratio.

Next, you must enter values for all but 1 of the remaining fields. Then hit the calculate button. If you left a field blank, then that field will be calculated. If you have values in all the fields, then the Final Drive Ratio or Roll Out will be recalculated based upon the other values.

Next to the Calculate button are two arrow buttons. They allow you to quickly navigate to the other pages for storage. You settings are remembered as you leave one page and go to another. This version will allow 5 different models to be stored.

That is it.

I am interested in fixing any errors you might find, and adding other features in the future, so feel free to post anything here (be nice ).

jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:29 AM   #48
Tech Initiate

Hi
Thank you for fixing the decimal problem in this version. Great work. Great app.
You are $0.99 richer.
/Mackan
MackanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:29 AM   #49
jrp
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackanG View Post
Hi
Thank you for fixing the decimal problem in this version. Great work. Great app.
You are $0.99 richer.
/Mackan
No problem. Please let me know if you run into any other problems. I am considering i18n all the text as well. Do you think that would improve it for you as well ?
Old 10-16-2010, 07:25 PM   #50
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Arrow

Quote:
No problem. Please let me know if you run into any other problems. I am considering i18n all the text as well. Do you think that would improve it for you as well ?
Very nice... thank you!
oldpugva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:39 PM   #51
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

im gonna check this out!

Hey android users. If you hate that u can search the market via your pc. check out appbrain.com.. It helps u find apps way faster including this one.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 PM   #52
jrp
Tech Master

Default Android App

I had someone report a force close when entering a value in the Internal Ratio field. I am unable to reproduce this. If anyone has experienced this, please post the details on here so I can fix the issue.

- Steps to cause force close
- Version of Android
- Phone model

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:30 PM   #53
jrp
Tech Master

Default Issue

I just uploaded an update to the Android Market to hopefully fix the force close seen by a few. If you experience any issues with the app, please post here and I will look into asap.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:41 AM   #54
Tech Initiate

Hi JRP you have a PM about me not beeing able to download your app to my X10 Mini
MickeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:58 AM   #55
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For Iphone it's call Ratio Calc, It is awesome you can choose onroad and offroad.
RC_BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #56
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Will you be adding pre-set internal ratios for popular vehicles? Ones i would like to see...

-Cyclone (all the editions, at least the ones with different internal ratios from previous iterations)
-Tc5
-JRXS R
-The Xray Cars

umm...getting a brain fart right now for other cars.

A feature like that would be nice i think, i used the GearChart.com calculator that used a feature like that for tons of stuff.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:26 AM   #57
jrp
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
Will you be adding pre-set internal ratios for popular vehicles? Ones i would like to see...

-Cyclone (all the editions, at least the ones with different internal ratios from previous iterations)
-Tc5
-JRXS R
-The Xray Cars

umm...getting a brain fart right now for other cars.

A feature like that would be nice i think, i used the GearChart.com calculator that used a feature like that for tons of stuff.
Sorry. No plans to add that. It would be constantly out-of-date anyway. Plus you can change the internal ratio on the vehicles by changing the pulleys and such. Its pretty easy to remember what the internal ratio of your vehicles are, and with the 5 different models, you can easily store most of what you need. Enter it one time, then just tweak it as you need to make a gear change...

- RC Gears for Android - Find it in the Android Market
Old 12-04-2010, 07:42 AM   #58
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

what kind of roll out are most using with todays software(tekin)do most start with a certin tire size and adjust gearing
Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #59
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Quote:
Sorry. No plans to add that. It would be constantly out-of-date anyway. Plus you can change the internal ratio on the vehicles by changing the pulleys and such. Its pretty easy to remember what the internal ratio of your vehicles are, and with the 5 different models, you can easily store most of what you need. Enter it one time, then just tweak it as you need to make a gear change...
It wouldn't be as out of date as you think.... oh well then.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #60
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
I've been running this app since you started it and it does the job just fine, I wonder if you might want to update the UI at some point to be a little nicer to use. Gear-it on iPhone seems a little cleaner with the sliders and all that.

Just some constructive feedback