Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Speedvision....
Speed Vision? That's about as old school as Brushed motors
Old 09-14-2010, 05:14 PM   #92
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
Hacking the software is never going to be "impossible" but it's highly unlikely. There's only a handful of guys that are going to know what they're looking at.

The timing esc's aren't killing Onroad racing, the overall cost and time to setup the cars is.

Build a TC that is low maintenance and easy to setup, forgiving to drive and won't break because you tapped a board. Make it look like something you see on Speedvision....they will buy it.
Very good points. But yor last point is the best but will probably never happen until we stop continually reducing the minimum weight of the chassis. Funny thing is lipos are starting to get heavy so soon we will all have overweight cars anyway.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #93
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Sponsor/no sponsor is bull crap. Lots really fast guys aren't sponsored and are way faster then my sorry a$$
Old 09-15-2010, 08:59 AM   #94
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Brushes humm the only reason I went back to electric cars was due to brushless.

Due to brushless the sport has grown considerably in locally areas with lots of nitro racers and nitro only clubs moving to electric and running electric classes.

Electric is as strong as I have seen it in the last 10 years, almost as strong as it was 15 years ago when no one ran nitro at all.

Running one class will not work for a bucket load of reasons; can you imagine having 50 racers plus and possibly 80 at club days not to mention big events; raw power and speed, sure the new timing ESCs are faster in the top end but they still do not have the shear grunt that low turn motors do.

I run a 10.5T and I wont run mod for the following reasons, huge amount of power difference for the first 1-2m out of a corner which is particularly hard on tyres and drive line components which requires many more replacement parts increase cost conserably.

There also needs to be a class to support up coming racers sure everyone can start in novice with a silver car of RTR low powered brushless system if they enjoy the sport they will move up but the step up to mod is just way too far and well beyond

Final note on this topic brushed motors should be flat out band, classes locally still allow them and with the changing regs brushed motors will probably be slightly faster. If brushless motors are banned or brushed motors return I along with probably 50% of the guys I race with will quit overnight and run nitro.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #95
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
All I know is guys every day crack software that has TONS of encryption and such.....I doubt any ESC has anything special to prevent it, you will probably be able to just download and open it in notepad.....write in your new specs and upload to the ESC......
Sorry Eddie that's not the way this software works. This isn't a script that runs in the background. First you would have to write the software in a particular language, then compile it into a digital format that you load into the ESC's memory. Very difficult even for someone who knows what they're doing.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:19 AM   #96
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
Brushes humm the only reason I went back to electric cars was due to brushless.

Due to brushless the sport has grown considerably in locally areas with lots of nitro racers and nitro only clubs moving to electric and running electric classes.

Electric is as strong as I have seen it in the last 10 years, almost as strong as it was 15 years ago when no one ran nitro at all.

Running one class will not work for a bucket load of reasons; can you imagine having 50 racers plus and possibly 80 at club days not to mention big events; raw power and speed, sure the new timing ESCs are faster in the top end but they still do not have the shear grunt that low turn motors do.

I run a 10.5T and I wont run mod for the following reasons, huge amount of power difference for the first 1-2m out of a corner which is particularly hard on tyres and drive line components which requires many more replacement parts increase cost conserably.

There also needs to be a class to support up coming racers sure everyone can start in novice with a silver car of RTR low powered brushless system if they enjoy the sport they will move up but the step up to mod is just way too far and well beyond

Final note on this topic brushed motors should be flat out band, classes locally still allow them and with the changing regs brushed motors will probably be slightly faster. If brushless motors are banned or brushed motors return I along with probably 50% of the guys I race with will quit overnight and run nitro.
I agree with so much of that, it holds true in many ways, this power and speed we now see in electric, all while delivering power in such a driveline friendly way, how do you fault that?.

To be fair I run a track where you can use it all, but still it's fantastic when a 10.5 can run with just about anything, and get big run time if you wanted it, I know from the point of view of electric old you maybe don't want the speed?, but damn coming from nitro myself I love it so much.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #97
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

With ESC's like Hobbywing/SpeedPassion that use a different firmware for stock spec and boosted, you could probably use a binary diff to compare the two files and flip some bits around in the sections that are different until you get one that flashes the light but still lets you adjust things. Hopefully the stock version has all the boosted code pulled out of it, though, and not just disabled with an extra loop.

The firmware thing isn't foolproof, but it's probably good enough for most racing. It's even less likely to be a problem if we start going toward spec ESC's that don't allow firmware updates.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:18 AM   #98
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

or you could just.... www dot radio shack dot com back slash, flashing L E D
Old 09-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #99
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Sorry Eddie that's not the way this software works. This isn't a script that runs in the background. First you would have to write the software in a particular language, then compile it into a digital format that you load into the ESC's memory. Very difficult even for someone who knows what they're doing.

Can't be anymore difficult than spinning a silver can on a lathe & grabbing the shaft just to advance the timing ...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #100
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

With all this "hacking" talk I think some are not taking a few things into consideration..
  1. How many people will spend the time to do it? And have the skills to do it?

2. If someone did do it, how wide spread would it actually become? I mean would you run around saying you're cheating??

3. Since a boosted car in significantly faster than a non boosted car, you would fail the eye test when racing. Somebody would know somethings up.

4. You would gain nothing more than showing how insecure you are in your manhood by cheating in a race for a bowling trophy...if there's a prize at all.

5. And if you're that big of a loser then you're probably cheating already...sobeit.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #101
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Thumbs down

The racers that will "want" to cheat in this class are most likely the same that do "cheat" with silvercans.
For the life of me I don't understand the mentality.

If you want to go faster, why not sack up and race in a class where the challenge is based on driving rather than cheating

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #102
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie;
With all this "hacking" talk I think some are not taking a few things into consideration..
  1. How many people will spend the time to do it? And have the skills to do it?

2. If someone did do it, how wide spread would it actually become? I mean would you run around saying you're cheating??

3. Since a boosted car in significantly faster than a non boosted car, you would fail the eye test when racing. Somebody would know somethings up.

4. You would gain nothing more than showing how insecure you are in your manhood by cheating in a race for a bowling trophy...if there's a prize at all.

5. And if you're that big of a loser then you're probably cheating already...sobeit.
Happens all the time in Nascar with well known drivers. When people want to win they will try anything. All it takes is one person to figure it out. With the power of the Internet it will spread quickly. A simple download is all it would take. They are not going to make it obvious. Just a little edge. It is only a matter of time. It would be near impossible to detect, it could be going on right now. This technology is very new.
HPI E-Firestorm
Traxxas Stampede
Chip73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:40 PM   #103
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip73 View Post
Happens all the time in Nascar with well known drivers. When people want to win they will try anything. All it takes is one person to figure it out. With the power of the Internet it will spread quickly. A simple download is all it would take. They are not going to make it obvious. Just a little edge. It is only a matter of time. It would be near impossible to detect, it could be going on right now. This technology is very new.
For Nascar...I get that. For any professional sports I get what motivates people to cheat...$$$, fame and ego. But for a hobby/sport like ours, that's is way over the top. We get no money, no fame, and if someone gets an ego boost for cheating to win an RC race...I pity them. BUT there are those who will.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #104
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
If you want to go faster, why not sack up and race in a class where the challenge is based on driving rather than cheating
I wonder the same all the time... All I ever hear is a bunch of excuses
Old 09-15-2010, 09:15 PM   #105
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post
[*]Since a boosted car in significantly faster than a non boosted car, you would fail the eye test when racing. Somebody would know somethings up.
Ah but boost is a variable thing. If you can code boost into a spec profile, you should be able to code it so it's just a bit of boost. A slight but not enormous edge.

And even if all you could get was a full blown, boost to the max profile, there's nothing stopping you from dropping a few teeth, running and old, slow motor or some such thing to reduce the ballistic nature of the car while maintaining a slight edge.
wingracer is online now   Reply With Quote