Wiki Posts
Search

1/12 run on concrete

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)
Default 1/12 run on concrete

I am wondering about running 1/12 on concrete. I am wanting to run a tbar with 17.5. I have run on carpet quite a bit but just am wondering what would be some good things for setup to consider different than carpet. What kind of track prep would be suggested for concrete?
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tha Skinny
I am wondering about running 1/12 on concrete. I am wanting to run a tbar with 17.5. I have run on carpet quite a bit but just am wondering what would be some good things for setup to consider different than carpet. What kind of track prep would be suggested for concrete?
Praying would probably be of better benefit than anything else I can think of. A distant second would be blowing off the surface REALLY well. Third is a tie between running a link car so you can soften the crap out of the center and side springs, and coating your tires with shoe goo and then truing them down to 57 mm once they've dried.

Good luck!!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by andrewdoherty
Praying would probably be of better benefit than anything else I can think of. A distant second would be blowing off the surface REALLY well. Third is a tie between running a link car so you can soften the crap out of the center and side springs, and coating your tires with shoe goo and then truing them down to 57 mm once they've dried.

Good luck!!
Hahahahaha!! What's up Awd? Thought I may get an answer like that. I was looking last night and looks like bsr is making some 1/12 caps. Which we run alot of in this area. I may give those a try!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok, here how it works...it does not work even with caps. Now that I have said that there are exceptions. Alphacat who is on rctech has had some slight success with soaking down a concrete (or asphalt with sealer) track the day before a race with a bunch of grape soda. Still not a lot of traction but it got them through a race. There is a new concrete roadcourse in Guntersville, Alabama that swears they have not had any traction issues even with the little BSR D-drives with foam tires. I'm going to check it out and see how they are making it happen. I'm guessing the track even though it is smooth must have the right amount of roughness to let them race with no problems. You can check them out here on the Alabama thread. Very nice track.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mxrich
Ok, here how it works...it does not work even with caps. Now that I have said that there are exceptions. Alphacat who is on rctech has had some slight success with soaking down a concrete (or asphalt with sealer) track the day before a race with a bunch of grape soda. Still not a lot of traction but it got them through a race. There is a new concrete roadcourse in Guntersville, Alabama that swears they have not had any traction issues even with the little BSR D-drives with foam tires. I'm going to check it out and see how they are making it happen. I'm guessing the track even though it is smooth must have the right amount of roughness to let them race with no problems. You can check them out here on the Alabama thread. Very nice track.
Yeah i would say our concrete is not polished or anything, slightly abrassive in most areas. We are trying to comeup with a solution.