R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-23-2004, 05:41 PM   #16
Tech Initiate

Don't use a sprayer....Do it NorCal style

Poke a hole in the bottom of the bottle. Faster, cheaper and works .

What track uses this method? Just wondering not trying to start any fighting?
RedBullRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:24 PM   #17
Tech Master

At Sheldon's where the sprayer usually gets jammed I've seen Dan do that on more than one occasion. I've also seen John do it @ HT too.
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 06:49 PM   #18
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

To clarify things, I have seen Billy at speedworld do it when he has sprayed before.We do it at Hobbytown Newark but we are careful with how we poke holes so it spreads in a mist and so its even.The guys at Sheldons have less experience and I have seen them do what Matt has said.It works great if you do it correctly.

We also sometimes spray the track with a light mist of water after the rootbeer has dried.The grip comes up like crazy after you do this.Dont ask me why,but we learned this by seeing what happened after freak rain/sprinkles after we had sprayed Soda or vht on 2 different tracks.After the light rain the track dried again and the grip was higher then when we first sprayed soda in the morning.Anyone have an explination for this?
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 07:55 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to TeamPink91

I might sound stupid, but what is vht.
TeamPink91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:50 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

We had a racer the worked for PEPSI he was able to get us some stale pepsi syrup used in the fountain machines(ya it actually has date codes) Anyway we mixed it with hot water and it worked well. WE run in the 20-30C temp range. I would understand high temps being an issue with any adadtives.

For sugar water we used the restarant dish water hose: 140F water at very high pressure. IT mixes the sugar well enough for good application.

Down side of either is we attracted bees.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:30 PM   #21
Tech Adept

"I would reccomend what we call the Fred Hubbard mix, Grape Soda and Grape Snow Cone Syrup

Fred learned that from me If you have the money VHT works the best, but the snow cone syrup, soda thing works too it just takes longer to dry if the skies are cloudy.
sponger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:07 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default leave it to nocal'ers!

on the bottle thing, put 4 real small holes in a cap to get a decent spray-stream without much spotting. this way you can stop when you want (turn the bottle upside up), and once you get a 'really' good cap/nozzle, you can simply swap it between bottles.
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 11:34 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

Cool NorCal Style

Wow, I guess it is true peopel can learn something new everyday. I guess the technic is a method to master. The example of the multi hole lid would work as a mister and just use the power of the sode as a sprayer. Has anyone checked with Smart and Final to get boxes of soda syrup. I know when I had work in the food industry I purchased them there of something like 12 bones a box of syrup
RedBullRacin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:47 AM   #24
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

OK, I think I'm going to try to find some fountain syrup around here.

BTW- we have used VHT many times. It is expensive, but we've noticed that it "feels" different than sugar based traction compounds. I don't mean it has more traction, I mean the bite is just different. Hard to explain without feeling it for yourself...
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:54 AM   #25
Tech Adept

If you find a rental center that rents or sells food stands and supplies you can get soda syrup.

Near me there is a center that rents cotton candy machines, popcorn machines and soda machines for local school fairs backyard parties etc.

They have the syrup right on the shelf when you walk in.

Note, I live in CT can't help you in CA but might be something to look at in the yellow pages
LeadFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:45 AM   #26
Suspended

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDogRacing
OK, I think I'm going to try to find some fountain syrup around here.

BTW- we have used VHT many times. It is expensive, but we've noticed that it "feels" different than sugar based traction compounds. I don't mean it has more traction, I mean the bite is just different. Hard to explain without feeling it for yourself...
Vht bite and Soda feel different for sure.They both have good bite but the Vht will usually result in a car that either pushes a little more or requires different tires then Soda.We ran Vht and the CS tires we run on soda dont work well.Sorexs were the ticket.The opposite is true if you spray soda.This is just on the 2 tracks I have run on regularly so it may differ for other. but I do notice a differnce for sure.

VHT is 14-16 a gallon plus the stuff you have to cut it with will end up costing you another 5 bucks.It takes about 4-6 gallons of cut vht to spray our track.Thats 45 for the vht and another 6 for the other stuff. 50 bucks right there.

Or I can spray bargain brand rootbeer at 60 cent s a 2 litre.
usually 20 do the trick. 12-15 dollars at the most.
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:27 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Never tried it but i bet Mcdonalds orange juice would work. I recall they had a syrup based orange drink they would give or sell for sporting events. It tasted really bad but it would be a good traction adative.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:52 PM   #28
Tech Elite

Why not just boil some water, put in like 5 pounds of sugar, the mix it with water in a 5 gallon bucket? You can't tell me that carmel color and Red40 make for traction.... Its all about the sugar.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 01:40 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to b4racer

how about jello mix.. ..if its a hot surface...

or cool aid mix..
b4racer is offline   Reply With Quote