R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-08-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Best Carpet for On-Road, but not Ozite?

We're relocating our local track in the next few months, and the carpet at the old place is over 11 years old, so we will be putting brand new carpet at the new facility. We run a large variety of classes, from foam-tired oval to 1/8 electric all on the same track, and we're looking for the best option for a carpet choice that will provide the best overall life and good grip at a decent price. We WILL NOT BE USING OZITE at this track, not only because we can't afford it but it's terrible to race on as well in regards to vehicle cleanliness.

Just looking for some opinions from you carpet on-road racers, since us off-road guys will run on anything that we put in there.
carcrusher46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to traper285 Send a message via Yahoo to traper285

Here ya go! http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...&category_id=7
traper285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrusher46 View Post
We're relocating our local track in the next few months, and the carpet at the old place is over 11 years old, so we will be putting brand new carpet at the new facility. We run a large variety of classes, from foam-tired oval to 1/8 electric all on the same track, and we're looking for the best option for a carpet choice that will provide the best overall life and good grip at a decent price. We WILL NOT BE USING OZITE at this track, not only because we can't afford it but it's terrible to race on as well in regards to vehicle cleanliness.

Just looking for some opinions from you carpet on-road racers, since us off-road guys will run on anything that we put in there.
Carpet on road racers want ozite.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
Tech Addict

No, they don't. We all agreed that ozite is too expensive and that it clutters the vehicles with too much carpet fuzz compared to the other stuff out there. After racing enough on ozite myself, I have to agree - I'd rather take shorter tire wear over having to tear my cvd's apart every 3 weeks because they're wrapped in ozite.

Judging by the pics, we might be using the crc stuff at the current track - a bit out of our price range but it's still a possibility.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I wish I knew what carpet they used at the old carpet oval I used to race at back in the late 80s early 90s. That stuff was fantastic, clean, lasted over a decade and was NOT ozite or CRC.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

hey matt

ya ozite may be the best for tc an 1/12 but the offroad guys can get away with something cheeper

you can go withy some office carpet whick has a similar weeve pattern to ozite and has next to no nap height to keep it consistant lap to lap

the only other option is some indoor/outdoor carpet with the smallest nap possable (a tall nap is verry inconsistant and frustrating, that is what is down at latrobe right now
Alex "ACE" Kubilus
ACE design works
RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

not for nothing, but ozite has gone through multiple changes the past couple years. There were years of ozite that had incredible amounts of fuzz.

current day ozite is awesome. use some sticky fingers, paragone or jack the gripper and you will for sure have what you really want.. check out the iic vegas. thats the right way.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
No, they don't. We all agreed that ozite is too expensive and that it clutters the vehicles with too much carpet fuzz compared to the other stuff out there. After racing enough on ozite myself, I have to agree - I'd rather take shorter tire wear over having to tear my cvd's apart every 3 weeks because they're wrapped in ozite.

Judging by the pics, we might be using the crc stuff at the current track - a bit out of our price range but it's still a possibility.
CRC IS ozite. They have been the exclusive distributor for some time.

There are look alike products from home improvement stores and they do tend to be fuzzier.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #9
Tech Addict

We must be using some generic hardware store stuff then or something - it's pretty abrasive but the grip is good for anything I've ever ran on it - everything from touring car and mini coopers to clod busters and e-scale. Having it last for 10 years through numerous floods and little maintenance has been a plus too.

Personally I don't care what I race on since everyone races on the same track - heck I'd prefer a Euro-style off road track with varying surfaces but the on-road guys wouldn't like that too much.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:36 AM   #10
Tech Champion

ive heard that primafelt gt is good...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Will the carpet be layed down permanently or rolled up after each week?

If it's the forma, have you considered using asphalt? (you haven't mentioned what sort of venue it is etc so it might not be an appropriate suggestion.

Skidddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Will the carpet be layed down permanently or rolled up after each week?

If it's the forma, have you considered using asphalt? (you haven't mentioned what sort of venue it is etc so it might not be an appropriate suggestion.

Skidddins
Indoor Asphalt, good idea, but the initial smell and fume will be horrible without proper ventilation.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
We must be using some generic hardware store stuff then or something - it's pretty abrasive but the grip is good for anything I've ever ran on it - everything from touring car and mini coopers to clod busters and e-scale. Having it last for 10 years through numerous floods and little maintenance has been a plus too.
You're complaining about carpet that's been down for 10 years??? Most tracks replace their carpet every 2 years.

Ozite (or whatever name CRC sells it under) has been accepted as the choice for on road racing for well over a decade now.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
I wish I knew what carpet they used at the old carpet oval I used to race at back in the late 80s early 90s. That stuff was fantastic, clean, lasted over a decade and was NOT ozite or CRC.

That old carpet you are referring to is called Duraval II and it was manufactured by the Ozite company. It was discontinued and not available somewhere around the turn of the century. CRC works with the Ozite company to keep a usable version of carpet available so that we can race as close to the old Duraval II as possible. You will not find any better, and you will not be able to go to the Ozite company and purchase the stuff that CRC markets.
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidl View Post
That old carpet you are referring to is called Duraval II and it was manufactured by the Ozite company. It was discontinued and not available somewhere around the turn of the century. CRC works with the Ozite company to keep a usable version of carpet available so that we can race as close to the old Duraval II as possible. You will not find any better, and you will not be able to go to the Ozite company and purchase the stuff that CRC markets.
Nope, this track was TOTALLY different from Ozite. Back then, a few other tracks had a similar carpet but theirs didn't last. It would peel up in long strings and be shot in one year. But this one track (Winners Circle in Richmond, VA) had the perfect carpet. It was black, not grey, ZERO fuzz, fantastic grip and lasted well over ten years. I have never seen another track with this carpet, EVER. After this track, everyone went to Ozite.

If I remember correctly, Jeff Floyd actually chose the carpet, for anyone that remembers him.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote