R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-09-2010, 10:58 AM   #16
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
You're complaining about carpet that's been down for 10 years??? Most tracks replace their carpet every 2 years.

Ozite (or whatever name CRC sells it under) has been accepted as the choice for on road racing for well over a decade now.
No, I'm praising our current carpet because it held up that well. For most of this year, we've pulled over 6 gallons of water out of the track on a weekly basis because there are no longer gutters on the building and the water runs in under the garage doors.

Yes, the carpet will be permenant, and we'd like it to last at least five years (should be no problem - the new place has climate control and the old place doesn't).

Currently we don't run on-road at all, but with the new track some of the oval guys said they'd come back. Right now we primarily run 2wd stadium trucks and short course as well as 2wd and 4wd buggies, all on carpet with wooden ramps and rubber tires. It's no normal carpet track, trust me.

What we wanted were some opinions on alternatives that would work well for everyone, first and foremost giving us longevity so it doesn't have to be replaced in 2 years.

Again, WE DO NOT PLAN ON USING OZITE!!!!! Quit saying it's the best for on-road - we know that, but this isn't a strictly on-road track and we can't afford it anyway.

I'll have to look into that Primafelt stuff - thanks for the info.

Alex - can I get some more of your input since you've run on the current track? I had brought some very tight-napped samples to John and he said it wasn't good for grip. But at $.49 a square foot, it's barely half the cost of the crc stuff and after driving on-road cars I think they have too much grip for their own good anyway
carcrusher46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I think you're applying the "fuzz factor" of older carpet to the newer stuff. The newer CRC-distributed ozite will not fuzz up like the old stuff at all, and provides a solid racing surface for all sorts of classes: on-road, oval, foam truck, etc.

While there may be other carpets besides ozite that work traction-wise, I have not seen many/any of them. Every track I'm aware of that installed non-ozite ended up either closing or changing to ozite because nobody wanted to run in terrible traction. It sounds like you have had a better experience with whatever you're running on, but if that's not available, I don't think there are too many out there racing on non-ozite carpet surfaces.

After 5+ years pretty much any carpet you lay is going to have problems with racing use.
futureal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:57 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Carpet tiles

Here's a pic of a carpet in Tracy, Ca. They are using carpet tiles.
Attached Thumbnails
Best Carpet for On-Road, but not Ozite?-carpet_tile.jpg  
Old 09-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #19
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I run indoors at a local church recreation center and we run on the carpet that is already down in the gymnasium. You can contact Aaron Benner at www.richfieldraceway.com for the specifics of the type of carpet. I have seen this same carpet at other indoor soccer facilities. I am pretty sure it is some type of hook and loop style carpeting.
jmackani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 06:05 AM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrusher46 View Post
No, I'm praising our current carpet because it held up that well.
What was the carpet you used that lasted 10 years? That's a long time for any carpet.

Sorry about going "ozite" on you, but over the years many have tried different and less expensive alternatives to it and have come up way short. On road guys are picky about everything because a tenth of a second makes a big difference. So if you're not interested in the ultimate setup some form of commerical carpeting would probably be best. Looks like there are a few suggestions here. You will have to do your own research since no one has really gone after this in a big way.

In the end, ozite is the best carpet for indoor on road racing.

Oh, c'mon you know you set yourself up for that!
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I want to say that what we're using is some sort of commercial stuff.

Personally, my opinion has always been that everyone races on the same track, and if you can't drive on it/set your car up for it then that is your problem. If one person can get around a track fast, everyone else can too. Now if the track surface is pulling up and such, then there's reason for complain but not "I don't like the track - it's too hard to drive" which, to me, translates into "I don't have the driver's skill to be fast" because driver number 2 over there just whipped your butt
carcrusher46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:56 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Since you are already running on a non-ozite carpet, I hope that you can find a similar non-ozite carpet with comparable grip characteristics. This will cause your racers the least amount of headache/cost.

Regardless of whatever carpet you choose to run, it is true that everyone will be running on the same surface. As such, everyone should be able to find a setup that works. However, have you considered that drivers may have to buy different tires or inserts to find grip when you change to new carpet? While you may be saving the track money, you might actually be shifting the cost to the racers.

I think the best suggestion anyone can offer for this specific situation is to do some research on the previous carpet. I would imagine that whomever purchased the carpet didn't pay in cash. If that is the case, you might be able to figure out the brand/manufacturer of the previous carpet through reciepts or credit card/bank records.

If tire wear truely isn't a concern for your racers, have you considered running a flat concrete track that has a rough surface (similar to sidewalks)?
Old 09-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrusher46 View Post
I want to say that what we're using is some sort of commercial stuff.

Personally, my opinion has always been that everyone races on the same track, and if you can't drive on it/set your car up for it then that is your problem. If one person can get around a track fast, everyone else can too. Now if the track surface is pulling up and such, then there's reason for complain but not "I don't like the track - it's too hard to drive" which, to me, translates into "I don't have the driver's skill to be fast" because driver number 2 over there just whipped your butt
That is absolutely not true. Don't you understand that anyone faster than me must be cheating???
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #24
Tech Rookie

Someone on here said they ran on a black carpet. I know we used to run on a black carpet. Locally kids use the same style to cover their speaker inclosers for their car speakers. I know our local audio store sold that kind of material.Just an idea.
hussel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #25
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hussel7 View Post
Someone on here said they ran on a black carpet. I know we used to run on a black carpet. Locally kids use the same style to cover their speaker inclosers for their car speakers. I know our local audio store sold that kind of material.Just an idea.
Yeah that was me. All I know is that the guy did a lot of research into the carpet choice and it was excellent.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote