Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Old 09-14-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Is there a new iteration / variant of the trf 417 coming out that I should wait for if I decide to go the Tamiya route?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

LOL these threads make me laugh sometimes...Kentech just posted about the new car 417wx and people are asking if there will be a new car coming...I am not slamming on you bossplaya...but sometimes the answer is right in front of you if you look.

I suspect it will be few months before the kit is available, but the 417WX is coming!
Old 09-14-2012, 02:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yeah I saw that, but since I'm completely new to the hobby I wanted to make absolutely sure. I'm not gonna make assumptions. I'd rather ask "dumb" questions and get flamed by people like you if it means that more knowledgeable people are gonna point me in the right direction.

Thanks anyways bro.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BossPlaya
Yeah I saw that, but since I'm completely new to the hobby I wanted to make absolutely sure. I'm not gonna make assumptions. I'd rather ask "dumb" questions and get flamed by people like you if it means that more knowledgeable people are gonna point me in the right direction.

Thanks anyways bro.
Either way it is worth waiting for...Tamiya builds a great car and you wont be sorry especially if you plan to run it outside.

Good luck...
Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

My only concern is the price of the kit and parts. My local track stocks Tamiya parts and there are people that run the car there, so support isn't an issue.

I heard something about leaky diffs and diffs being difficult to deal with on the car? I'm a person with limited time so I want to get a car with minimal issues.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Not really, if you build them with zero rebound they pull back in for the first few movements then pop back out to about 2mm rebound

Seems like every time I dew build my shocks with zero rebound it's always perfect but it does have a negative rebound when you pull on the shaft I thought this was bad but when I try running the car it handles really well however I stop running my shocks with zero rebound cause I thought having negative rebound is not good... But I guess not
Old 09-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BossPlaya
My only concern is the price of the kit and parts. My local track stocks Tamiya parts and there are people that run the car there, so support isn't an issue.

I heard something about leaky diffs and diffs being difficult to deal with on the car? I'm a person with limited time so I want to get a car with minimal issues.
top right, search is your friend

if you want minimal issues get an xray
Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CraigM
top right, search is your friend

if you want minimal issues get an xray
At our club its the later X-rays that seem to be pretty delicate (t3 11/12's) the trfs don't break.

Diffs need you to use Vg oil and green slime, in nearly 12months racing since installed Mine don't leak and still feel smooth.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Speculation on the trf417v3 kit contents? 2.5mm hole-less lower, 2.5 mm upper, one piece servo mount, diff v3.0, aeration dampers, dcjs sounds about right.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Qatmix
At our club its the later X-rays that seem to be pretty delicate (t3 11/12's) the trfs don't break.

Diffs need you to use Vg oil and green slime, in nearly 12months racing since installed Mine don't leak and still feel smooth.
Thanks for the info. I really liked the quality of the parts & the look of the chassis (TRF) when I saw the Tc6 & the Trf side by side, not that the quality of the Tc6 seemed poor, it was just a general impression.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi, just a few quick questions.
Ran the car on friday and felt even better then before. Previously I used to run Blue/Yellow springs and 1X/1F rear blocks, and now (Friday) I tried Blue/Blue springs and 1XF/1E. (This combination is slightly narrower than 1X/1F)
The car felt very good, and the tires were screeching a tiny bit in my last race even though I was running on very very old tyres !
The only problem I got was in mid corner , if I held the throttle for a litle too long in a corner, it would spin out at the very midle/exit or the corner. That wouldn't happen often but it did a few time on ONE corner, which was a medium sized corner, and the car would spin ou as described only in that corner.

My question was how could i maybe fix this ? Thought of going White/Blue springs ...
Any recomendation how to get the rear even more planted, or maybe abit more corner speed ?

Cheers
Old 09-16-2012, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
Speculation on the trf417v3 kit contents? 2.5mm hole-less lower, 2.5 mm upper, one piece servo mount, diff v3.0, aeration dampers, dcjs sounds about right.
No chance on those carbons, it'll be 2.25 lower and 2.0 upper. Dampers yes, shocks yes, servo mount yes, DCJs MAYBE - if so it'll come with steel spool cups as well. Diff will be the same, maybe the steel gears will be included but probably not since they are only really needed for mod.

Originally Posted by MatJ
Hi, just a few quick questions.
Ran the car on friday and felt even better then before. Previously I used to run Blue/Yellow springs and 1X/1F rear blocks, and now (Friday) I tried Blue/Blue springs and 1XF/1E. (This combination is slightly narrower than 1X/1F)
The car felt very good, and the tires were screeching a tiny bit in my last race even though I was running on very very old tyres !
The only problem I got was in mid corner , if I held the throttle for a litle too long in a corner, it would spin out at the very midle/exit or the corner. That wouldn't happen often but it did a few time on ONE corner, which was a medium sized corner, and the car would spin ou as described only in that corner.

My question was how could i maybe fix this ? Thought of going White/Blue springs ...
Any recomendation how to get the rear even more planted, or maybe abit more corner speed ?

Cheers
I don't think tamiya make a 1XF block. If they did it would be incredibly narrow. 1XA is the next narrowest block from X.

I would raise the height of your camber link on the front bulkhead by 0.5-1mm, it sounds like you are getting too much camber change at the front through that corner and making it bite. You could also try a bit more toe out at the front.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I'm looking for a TRF417X... I'm wondering if anyone know if there's any online store who has them in stock. I've tried most of the HK shops, non of them have them in stock.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yobouno
I'm looking for a TRF417X... I'm wondering if anyone know if there's any online store who has them in stock. I've tried most of the HK shops, non of them have them in stock.
Try these guys - have bought from them several times - good service

http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=13683
Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Taman
Try these guys - have bought from them several times - good service

http://banzaihobby.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=13683
Thanks Taman, not the cheapest out there, but hopefully they have one in stock.

Anyone has any wisdom on getting the car built right with a setup to share?

cheers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.