Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Old 07-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by COLD AS ICE
May be a good idea to rebuild them. Take them apart and clean with motor spray, wipe them off and blow with air compressor. Put some grease into the outdrive itself and on the barrel piece that the set screw and pin go through. Try using the Hudy graphite grease, it works wonders. I do this routine about every 3 race weekends. Sometimes more. I usually run in the super stock class (13.5 blinky) and never have chatter issues except when the cvd's need cleaned and greased. Hope this helps!!
Yep, cheers, I just need to strip them down.. I think its the fact that after a year of racing every week, they are still not even worn (racing 13.5). Gotta love the quality.

I have a nice set of Double Cardan's arrive through the post today so I will replace them and pop the CVD's in my project 4cell speed run 415 chassis
Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
Actually the change to the roll centre is minimal, you notice the camber change much more which has the opposite effect - less spacers, more camber change, more grip, more aggressive
Yes, that too. The best way is still trying out on the track to see the effect.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Actually the change to the roll centre is minimal, you notice the camber change much more which has the opposite effect - less spacers, more camber change, more grip, more aggressive
Sorry, but that's incorrect. A shorter tie rod will yield a sharper curve in camber change, where as tie rod angle has a more direct affect on initial roll center.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Sorry, but that's incorrect. A shorter tie rod will yield a sharper curve in camber change, where as tie rod angle has a more direct affect on initial roll center.
Try it and see
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I am having some slight issues with leaking on the diff. I followed Jilles reccomendation regarding the build, and I wondered if anyone has used the x rings for the out drives, If so, What has your luck been?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Try it and see
I don't want to argue with you, im just stating the facts as i know them, about how the physics behind roll center work. You are free to do what works for you!

If you would like more information on how roll center works, here is a great read.

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

Both Elvo and the Hudy/Xray setup guide will tell you the same thing I have. And yes, I have tried it 100 ways back and forth in both offroad and onroad and the physics stated in both places can be easily seen in practical application.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Have anyone counted the weight of tamiya gear diff (with oil) before and after the race ?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
I don't want to argue with you, im just stating the facts as i know them, about how the physics behind roll center work. You are free to do what works for you!

If you would like more information on how roll center works, here is a great read.

http://users.telenet.be/elvo/

Both Elvo and the Hudy/Xray setup guide will tell you the same thing I have. And yes, I have tried it 100 ways back and forth in both offroad and onroad and the physics stated in both places can be easily seen in practical application.
I think both of you are correct in the sense that, the length of the link does play a part in the camber change as well as the roll center.

Look at it this way, the shorter the link, the more effect on both the roll center and camber gain. For longer link, the effect of roll center is more than the camber gain.

The only way to find out is, indeed, to try out on the track.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Akita
Have anyone counted the weight of tamiya gear diff (with oil) before and after the race ?
You mean measuring the oil viscosity before and after the race? Or measure the actual weight of the gear diff?
Old 07-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i guess some people think of more steering when it turns fast on entry while some think of it when in the middle of the turn... based on experience (probably relatively shorter than most here) more shims less aggressive turn-in but more grip on that side in the middle of the corner and the opposite for less shims. for me camber link shims affect the balance of the car in the middle of the corner which can also translate to more aggressive turn-in (must balance the shim height between front and rear at most 1mm-1.5 difference). but i feel that the change is more apparent in the middle than entry and then magnified on sweepers.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by eComet
You mean measuring the oil viscosity before and after the race? Or measure the actual weight of the gear diff?
I mean if anyone know what's the correct amount of oil when you re-built the diff and if anyone have wastage of oil after the race .
Old 07-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
I am having some slight issues with leaking on the diff. I followed Jilles reccomendation regarding the build, and I wondered if anyone has used the x rings for the out drives, If so, What has your luck been?
I would use the method Craig has worked out HERE havent had any leaking issues since building this way
Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tmomedrano
i guess some people think of more steering when it turns fast on entry while some think of it when in the middle of the turn... based on experience (probably relatively shorter than most here) more shims less aggressive turn-in but more grip on that side in the middle of the corner and the opposite for less shims. for me camber link shims affect the balance of the car in the middle of the corner which can also translate to more aggressive turn-in (must balance the shim height between front and rear at most 1mm-1.5 difference). but i feel that the change is more apparent in the middle than entry and then magnified on sweepers.
If you look at Satoshi's setting, he's using quite a bit spacers for the inner camber link. This is to allow for more grip for an outdoor/control tire track condition. Backs up your explanation.
I tried this too, and upping the shims made the car feel a little lazy, but had more roll capacity = more grip.
http://kentech.blogs.se/2012/03/27/t...tyle-13319769/
Old 07-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by silverhkswrx
Try and get some Kyosho 5mm red O rings, this apparently stops the leaking. I just put them in my diff
Old 07-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3
Try and get some Kyosho 5mm red O rings, this apparently stops the leaking. I just put them in my diff
the kyosho does a good job at stopping leaks. But they also hold tighter on to the outdrives so you can't use the same diff oil.
On the tamiya oring, the ring itself spins in the housing. but the kyosho makes it so the outdrive spins inside the ring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.