Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Old 04-19-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Smile

Maybe called TRF417 ver.II or TRF417MS?

Then when Team TRF wins the worlds then TRF417WE, and finally before TRF418, it will be called TRF417X or TRF417MSX (hopefully no more the MSXXX... name)

Old 04-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Adam,

I'll find you a good deal on an Xray if you decide to go that route! And give you Pauls number! LOL

EA
Now, this is some serious customer support!

Anyone can get me Jilles' or Marc's number? J/K
Old 04-19-2011, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eComet
I don't think he needs a different arms. He needs a different car. But I am not sure even if that would help him since he has been struggling for 4 years. I, too have some problem with the car at times, but so does everyone with different cars. I did eventually find a good setup with the help of local expert drivers.
The Tb03 arms are the soft version of the 416/417 (short lightweight) arm. They make more grip, and the car is more forgiving. I ran them all summer and most of the winter. My hobby shop has them on the wall, so I assume they are available in the USA.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by robk
The Tb03 arms are the soft version of the 416/417 (short lightweight) arm. They make more grip, and the car is more forgiving. I ran them all summer and most of the winter. My hobby shop has them on the wall, so I assume they are available in the USA.
The arms may grip more because it's more flexible. But the downside is they don't take impact very well. When hit, they will warp a lot easier than the carbon reinforced ones.

I would say instead of using soft arms, first try to remove screws on the upper deck to induce more flex.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by syndr0me
You know what Tamiya needs? A touring car that has some f'ing rear grip on something other than the most pristine surfaces. I've been driving these stupid piece of s*** cars for 4 years now, and that problem has plagued me everywhere I go. So you know what? I'm done supporting a brand that doesn't care about North America, and only works right when the stars align. I'll be selling all this junk and buying something that works, from a company that supports racing.
I'm sure someone from the US "team" will chime in with their great contribution. They'll probably say something like "this car always works for me."
Wow....thought you loved your Tamiya's..

Thanks again for the hospitality.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
TAMIYA was remake lower deck & upper deck coming 1-2 days arrive !
MAY release New ver. TRF417 w/ new gear diff !
Damn - And I just bought my first Tamiya TRF417. To soon I guess
Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BSYDOR
Wow....thought you loved your Tamiya's..

Thanks again for the hospitality.
"Loved" being the operative word. No problem, it was great having you guys in town.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:44 PM
Tech Lord

They should name it the TRF417 SCBRE (Still Can't Beat Ronald Edition)

It's funny because it's true.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by eComet
Now, this is some serious customer support!

Anyone can get me Jilles' or Marc's number? J/K
Sorry, but Marc is too busy racing off-road
Old 04-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

TAMIYA was remake lower deck & upper deck coming 1-2 days arrive !
Why does your online website either time-out or is soo slow it's near impossible to order???
Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Wink

They should name it the TRF417 SCBRE (Still Can't Beat Ronald Edition)

It's funny because it's true.
So if later Tamiya won another IFMAR, should they call it TRF417BTSOOE (Beat the Sh*t Out of Everyone Edition)?

It's a new car and it's still in development. Even the TRF416 that won the IFMAR needed some refining to make it work, i.e. shorter arms and motor bulkheads, etc., hence TRF416WE.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Lord

I'm not really sure I care who wins the worlds as long as it's open sauce. Losing every single race the last two years and winning a worlds with some secret sauce really doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Anybody buying a kit for that reason alone is dumb.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Cool

I'm not really sure I care who wins the worlds as long as it's open sauce. Losing every single race the last two years and winning a worlds with some secret sauce really doesn't mean a whole lot to me. Anybody buying a kit for that reason alone is dumb.
Well, in that case, you should have switched to XRay since the last IFMAR if you think the car can't handle without the sauce. I never heard anything about the "secret sauce" maybe I am new to RC (restarting since last year).

But at my local track, all kind of cars can get to be the winner. It's just driver and the setup. And I am pretty sure those drivers don't use secret sauce either.

I've also seen a TRF driver driving back to back with Hot Bodies driver, no special sauce either and both car are within 0.3 seconds of each other neck-to-neck. In the end, who made the least mistakes and had better luck with traffic won.

Instead of calling people dumb, why not try to think about how to setup the car or change driving style? If you think your Tamiya has poor grip, go try F1 on poor-prepared and bumpy asphalt. I was racing the UF1 series and the car kept spun out on me when I was at mid sweeper. Reason? I let go of the throttle and too much weight transferred to the front wheel, plus I did not have a good set of tires anyways. I changed my driving style to not fully let go of the throttle and the car cornered without spinning. I had to rewire the new driving style to my brain instead of driving it like a TC. And also, RWD can't brake like an AWD.

Brand is a preference, like Coca Cola vs Pepsi. If you have been struggling for 4 years, either you have no luck with Tamiya or you had the wrong setup all along.

Again, if Tamiya doesn't work for you, try other brand like XRay. But again, not everyone who drives a Tamiya has poor grip issue. My first TRF416X run at Tamiya circuit had severe understeer issue but the car is crazily planted, even with the not-so-good Tamiya B3s (Tamiya TCS-spec tires).

I do agree that Tamiya does not have as good support as XRay, but I am not a factory driver and I find tuning the car as much fun as driving it. Like I said earlier, I actually had one of my local top guy tuned the car for me, but it was very loose if I sticked with my old driving method. A fast car is usually a little loose so the rotation is faster and you can keep throttle and corner speed while you turn.

So what is the deal with the "secret sauce" thing?
Old 04-19-2011, 06:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I know Syn is gonna hate me for saying this... but here we go...

I was really struggling with my 7 until a while ago, I made some setup changes that suit me and the way I drive, and now it's a load better...and that's on a pretty low grip surface (so dusty that unless cars have been running for half a day, no point using additive!). Rear grip was a real problem, and still is too some extent if I become overly aggressive.

Still, sounds like you need a change... it's good to try different things. I've been tempted to switch a few times previously (yes, again!), given my current situation, but with the car now going much better and too my liking, I'm staying put. Although I have got my own project to think about....
Old 04-19-2011, 06:54 PM
Tech Lord

I'll keep my spares for a TA06 project down the road. For racing, who knows...

Change is good. See you guys on the other side.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.