R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #1036
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonest View Post
Had a race last weekend but the track was kinda bumpy and I stripped two spur gears. It could be due to the loose motor screws or could be due to the cut mount. Anyway, the car don't really feel nice at this track after tihe motor mount is cut. Will try at another track and see how it felt.

I wouldn't recommend you to cut the mount unless u got spares mount lying around. Not sure if we could use the 416 mounts on the 7.
Ok thanks for this precision, i have race sunday, i try with HPI spring.
I wait for cut motor mount, i've no spares.
See you soon.
KRYS06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #1037
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Regarding the cut mount, I have mine cut and the car feels really good. I cant really say if the mount made it that much better, but I have found it didnt make it worse.

"He who dies with the most toys wins" - Phil Harris
Jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:38 PM   #1038
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I seem to have a normal amount of rear traction. I've run on high grip asphalt(stock spec) and medium to low traction asphalt(mod).
M3dreamin2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:38 PM   #1039
Tech Master

I wouldn't advise cutting the mount. I think it was a bodge to try to find a set-up which is being taken out of context. The 417 won at snowbirds with the uncut mount, I would just tune the set-up of the car before hacking anything.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #1040
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
I wouldn't advise cutting the mount. I think it was a bodge to try to find a set-up which is being taken out of context. The 417 won at snowbirds with the uncut mount, I would just tune the set-up of the car before hacking anything.
...and removing screws from the top-deck isn't a bodge either?
Sorry, but I disagree massively with that statement.. just because something is done to try and improve the car doesn't make it a "bodge"... it's called development and testing.

In the first days of the 416, people were cutting the rear brace to make the car flex more.. was that a "bodge"?

I can tell you now... Viktor, Marc and Jilles all ran the cut mount at the TITC. They all tried single and split, Marc at one point only changing that part. On that track, and those conditions, it seemed to work. Snowbirds was a very different track and conditions, and it's quite possible that the fixed mount was the best solution.. but if you look at Jilles snowbirds setup vs his TITC setup, they are massively different.

For me personally, my car has not been better since cutting the mount. It works for me, and I'm quite happy to leave it on the car.

To leave a little thought... how many other (current gen) cars out there can you name have a one-piece lump of alloy in the centre of the car....
Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #1041
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Several people at Snowbirds said it was the highest grip they'd seen since the foam tire paragon days. That SXT sauce is no joke. Plus, there was a ton of people there. If I could do it over, I would have run a WE with the original 2pc top deck.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #1042
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to entitymugenmtx

Guys I need help, I'm looking to get a new kit it's going to be the TRF417 or the T3 2011 give me all the feed back thanks.PROS AND CONS
Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 PM   #1043
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

can someone tell me whats the lowest weight they have been able to get their car too?

as ive struggled to get down to 1350grams
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #1044
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by I)arkness View Post
can someone tell me whats the lowest weight they have been able to get their car too?

as ive struggled to get down to 1350grams
What electrics and so on? I had to add about 30g to get back up to 1400g, and thats with HW speedo and big LiPo (and steel screws!), so should be able to get to 1350 with lighter electrics.

HiH
Ed
Old 03-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #1045
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

speed passion GT2.1 prostock
lrp vector x12 21.5t
low profile savox servo
ip 6200mah 60c lipo
futaba radio gear
speed passion heat sink with 2 fans

chassis has alu screws, topdeck steel
std speed6 body
I)arkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:50 AM   #1046
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Cut Mount

Can someone PM me a pic of a cut mount? Really curious.

I raced on a pretty bumpy with low traction track on the weekend. Found the setup I adopted worked very well apart from these 2 sweeping right handers - both at the end of straights.

I found the car really understeered a bit on these. I lowered the ride height to the front and kept the droop the same as with the higher height but still not much of an improvement. I then removed the screws from the top deck and this had a huge positive effect but still in those sweeping right handers I really had to back off a bit too early. So I couldnt pull anyone in as well as I should have.

Any clues on what else I can try?
emerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 AM   #1047
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by emerge View Post
Can someone PM me a pic of a cut mount? Really curious.

I raced on a pretty bumpy with low traction track on the weekend. Found the setup I adopted worked very well apart from these 2 sweeping right handers - both at the end of straights.

I found the car really understeered a bit on these. I lowered the ride height to the front and kept the droop the same as with the higher height but still not much of an improvement. I then removed the screws from the top deck and this had a huge positive effect but still in those sweeping right handers I really had to back off a bit too early. So I couldnt pull anyone in as well as I should have.

Any clues on what else I can try?
Cut Mount - http://www.rctech.net/forum/8717512-post830.html

Otherwise, what was the rest of your setup like? sounds like you needed the rear to be a little stiffer.. maybe shocks in more on the tower, a little higher rear rollcentre (0.5 less shims under the camber links). However, without knowing much more about the settings, difficult to advise..
Old 03-22-2011, 01:31 AM   #1048
Tech Master

Re-cut motor mount

I think the context of the mod is the important issue. I don't disagree with you that it was the best option at that time. You guys were there and doing it and I wasn't.

I just think people should understand that it was used as a way to explore a possible solution for rear grip on that track, but it's not the absolute route for everyone.

I work in R&D and you would take that fix and analyse the actual effect on the chassis. Following that you would look at how all other components would/could work to achieve that effect. It may be the best solution, but until you investigate the rest it cant be stated that it is. I suppose I also dont like splashing cash around, and the willingness for some to cut a 50 mount without spending some time tuning your car seems odd.

People here are racing all different circuits and classes, it's impossible that a car will be perfect in all situations out of the box. People should spend time tuning their car to their driving style. Forums like this are great as you can get pointers from others but its just that, you may find that to get the best out of a car that you will need a set-up thats against the norm.

I only race at club level, (although usually place in the top 3 every week) But have been racing for over 20 years.

As to the larger mount, I like the stiffness as it means I can tune the suspension and make that do the work, giving me a consistent race car. (again thats just my preference), and also I dont run Mod motors on large asphalt tracks.

I am off to Ardent for a few hours to test the car with a 5.5t and see what I can achieve with and without my cut mount.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G

Last edited by Qatmix; 03-22-2011 at 02:37 AM. Reason: fixed spelling
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:07 AM   #1049
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Cut Mount - http://www.rctech.net/forum/8717512-post830.html

Otherwise, what was the rest of your setup like? sounds like you needed the rear to be a little stiffer.. maybe shocks in more on the tower, a little higher rear rollcentre (0.5 less shims under the camber links). However, without knowing much more about the settings, difficult to advise..
To be honest apart from those corners the car handled pretty well. I was actually quite surprised how the car handled because I had never been able to get the 416 to have this kind of response on this track and I only had 40mins of testing the night before.
The setup was a bit of a mix of the Gilles and Sean Williams at Camarillo with a slightly shorter wheelbase. I cannot print my setup as a pdf unfortunately otherwise I would send it to you.
I used tamiya yellow front and back with 5.7 to front height and 6.5 to rear. Droop at front was 5.5 and droop at rear was at 5. Oh and I levelled out the downstops to 4mm. The other thing I did which I need to check was the block spacers. 1m to both rears and 0.5 to ff and 0 to fr if that makes sense.
I will next time I get a chance is try to see how th conventional setup compares. And finally 1 degree toe at front 3 to rear with 1.5 camber to front and 2 to rear. I think I might need to go with 1 degree camber to front.
As I said it's a bit of a weird setup but for some reason it worked for me.
emerge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:47 AM   #1050
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Re-cut motor mount

I think the context of the mod is the important issue. I don't disagree with you that it was the best option at that time. You guys were there and doing it and I wasn't.

I just think people should understand that it was used as a way to explore a possible solution for rear grip on that track, but it's not the absolute route for everyone.

I work in R&D and you would take that fix and analyse the actual effect on the chassis. Following that you would look at how all other components would/could work to achieve that effect. It may be the best solution, but until you investigate the rest it cant be stated that it is. I suppose I also dont like splashing cash around, and the willingness for some to cut a 50 mount without spending some time tuning your car seems odd.

People here are racing all different circuits and classes, it's impossible that a car will be perfect in all situations out of the box. People should spend time tuning their car to their driving style. Forums like this are great as you can get pointers from others but its just that, you may find that to get the best out of a car that you will need a set-up thats against the norm.

I only race at club level, (although usually place in the top 3 every week) But have been racing for over 20 years.

As to the larger mount, I like the stiffness as it means I can tune the suspension and make that do the work, giving me a consistent race car. (again thats just my preference), and also I dont run Mod motors on large asphalt tracks.

I am off to Ardent for a few hours to test the car with a 5.5t and see what I can achieve with and without my cut mount.
Sensible post. It seems the stiffer the chassis setting, the more consistent and precise it feels. I go faster both on single lap and 5 min this way (carpet). The TRF team are a group of Alien fast drivers, their driving skill is so amazing, I cannot relate to their setups, I just can't handle it
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote