Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Old 09-17-2012, 06:35 AM
  #3916  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (11)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by yobouno
Thanks Taman, not the cheapest out there, but hopefully they have one in stock.

Anyone has any wisdom on getting the car built right with a setup to share?

cheers.
See this:
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...miyaTRF417.htm

I personally really like the ETS setup from marc rheinard and viktor wilck. You can browse through these setups and see kind of a common base setup. Sometimes they deviate with 0.5mm shims somewhere etc but this is really just finetuning. There are also build tips in this thread.

GL
napoleon1981 is offline  
Old 09-17-2012, 03:07 PM
  #3917  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
yobouno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 358
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by napoleon1981
See this:
http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/tami...miyaTRF417.htm

I personally really like the ETS setup from marc rheinard and viktor wilck. You can browse through these setups and see kind of a common base setup. Sometimes they deviate with 0.5mm shims somewhere etc but this is really just finetuning. There are also build tips in this thread.

GL
Thanks.
yobouno is offline  
Old 09-17-2012, 05:27 PM
  #3918  
CL
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (34)
 
CL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 844
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by yobouno
Thanks Taman, not the cheapest out there, but hopefully they have one in stock.

Anyone has any wisdom on getting the car built right with a setup to share?

cheers.
You can also try to get one from here:

http://shopping.rcmodel.hk/product_i...ducts_id=19156
CL is offline  
Old 09-17-2012, 11:10 PM
  #3919  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by yobouno
Thanks Taman, not the cheapest out there, but hopefully they have one in stock.

Anyone has any wisdom on getting the car built right with a setup to share?

cheers.
I don't know where u live, but try modellbau seidel, its in Germany but the have some good prices.

plus they have Trf417x in stock
Cp Grafix is offline  
Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 PM
  #3920  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 101
Default

Hi Craig M, I have bought a Cso lower deck.

I don't have problems with it jet, it flat and the deck is 2,25mm all around.
i have just put it on my car, and without any isuses.

I drive on carpet track this winter, hopefully the car as outdoors.
Anyone got a good starting point for med carpet with sorex 28 jb's.
Cp Grafix is offline  
Old 09-18-2012, 02:13 PM
  #3921  
Tech Adept
 
NItrox416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 170
Default

Hi all,
someone could explain me the difference in the set up between D/D, C/C, C/B in the front.
Excuse me for the quite silly question but I've just exchanged my trf416 with a trf417x
Thanks for help
NItrox416 is offline  
Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 PM
  #3922  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NItrox416
Hi all,
someone could explain me the difference in the set up between D/D, C/C, C/B in the front.
Excuse me for the quite silly question but I've just exchanged my trf416 with a trf417x
Thanks for help
C/C is narrower than D/D so the front will roll more, but the shocks are laid down more with D/D so the steering is smoother. C/B introduces 0.5 degree arm sweep over C/C which gets the car into the corner better, this is most noticeable in tight corners where you will have a lot more steering. Generally D/D is used on large flowing tracks, and C/B everywhere else.
CraigM is offline  
Old 09-18-2012, 02:41 PM
  #3923  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

FYI guys I've requested the mods update the name of this thread to "Tamiya TRF417 / TRF417X / TRF417WX" so we can keep all the 417 info in the one place.

Now if December would just hurry up!
CraigM is offline  
Old 09-18-2012, 02:41 PM
  #3924  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
yobouno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 358
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Cp Grafix
I don't know where u live, but try modellbau seidel, its in Germany but the have some good prices.

plus they have Trf417x in stock
They offer ridiculous postage price to send out of EU zone. I live in Australia. Anyway got one from Banzai Hobbies, not the cheapest at least they have one in stock and their website looks reliable. Thanks everyone.
yobouno is offline  
Old 09-19-2012, 06:15 AM
  #3925  
Tech Adept
 
NItrox416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 170
Default

Originally Posted by CraigM
C/C is narrower than D/D so the front will roll more, but the shocks are laid down more with D/D so the steering is smoother. C/B introduces 0.5 degree arm sweep over C/C which gets the car into the corner better, this is most noticeable in tight corners where you will have a lot more steering. Generally D/D is used on large flowing tracks, and C/B everywhere else.
Arm sweep gets better the car into the corner and so gives you less steering in the exit? In the setups I saw on petitrc, also from yours, that is used usually c/b and d/b I'd never seen d/c, there is a particularly reason?
Thank you very much for the help.
NItrox416 is offline  
Old 09-19-2012, 07:17 AM
  #3926  
Tech Initiate
 
Smokem Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 39
Default

Our new 417MX chassis have just arrived - http://www.smokem-racing.com/417MX.html.

Limited stock available on the first run so get in quick!

Last edited by Smokem Racing; 09-19-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Smokem Racing is offline  
Old 09-19-2012, 04:08 PM
  #3927  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (34)
 
CraigM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7,009
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by NItrox416
Arm sweep gets better the car into the corner and so gives you less steering in the exit? In the setups I saw on petitrc, also from yours, that is used usually c/b and d/b I'd never seen d/c, there is a particularly reason?
Thank you very much for the help.
Normally C/B D/B is for technical tracks and D/D for large tracks. You don't normally need sweep on large tracks because they rarely have slow hairpins, but I'm sure D/C could work some places if C/B gave too much steering.

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. Sweep gives more castor as the car rolls, so when I say "gets into the corner better" I mean it has more steering and rotation as the car gets towards the apex.
CraigM is offline  
Old 09-19-2012, 10:52 PM
  #3928  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
yobouno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 358
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by CraigM
Normally C/B D/B is for technical tracks and D/D for large tracks. You don't normally need sweep on large tracks because they rarely have slow hairpins, but I'm sure D/C could work some places if C/B gave too much steering.

Maybe I didn't explain myself clearly. Sweep gives more castor as the car rolls, so when I say "gets into the corner better" I mean it has more steering and rotation as the car gets towards the apex.
This discussion interest me, why would you set your toe using the suspension mount instead of using your steering linkage? What is your final toe on the front of the car?

I was planning to set mine up with the following:
front toe +2
front camber -1.5
2 holes damper with soft oil and medium spring

rear toe -4
rear camber -1.5
3 holes damper with soft oil and soft spring

The track I race in is medium size track in Adelaide, half technical half speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
yobouno is offline  
Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 PM
  #3929  
PDR
Tech Elite
iTrader: (31)
 
PDR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,152
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by yobouno
This discussion interest me, why would you set your toe using the suspension mount instead of using your steering linkage? What is your final toe on the front of the car?

I was planning to set mine up with the following:
front toe +2
front camber -1.5
2 holes damper with soft oil and medium spring

rear toe -4
rear camber -1.5
3 holes damper with soft oil and soft spring

The track I race in is medium size track in Adelaide, half technical half speed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Others might come up with better explanations, but with regard to sweep, have a careful read of this. Toe and sweep are related, but distinct tuning options. I can't say I understand them, but guys like Craig are consistently fast, so I tend to listen to them.

On that basis, check out Craig's setups, which are well suited to medium outdoor tracks, just like our home track at SMA. His blog at http://tchub.wordpress.com/ is worth having a look at.

For a personal introduction, come over for the NSW State Titles in October

Phil.
PDR is offline  
Old 09-19-2012, 11:55 PM
  #3930  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (7)
 
yobouno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 358
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by PDR
Others might come up with better explanations, but with regard to sweep, have a careful read of this. Toe and sweep are related, but distinct tuning options. I can't say I understand them, but guys like Craig are consistently fast, so I tend to listen to them.

On that basis, check out Craig's setups, which are well suited to medium outdoor tracks, just like our home track at SMA. His blog at http://tchub.wordpress.com/ is worth having a look at.

For a personal introduction, come over for the NSW State Titles in October

Phil.
thx
yobouno is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.