Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:34 AM
Tech Initiate

hey

are u using hole in cap in dampers for less rebound ???

Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marek Gadomski
hey

are u using hole in cap in dampers for less rebound ???

Outdoors on asphalt, yes, but indoors on carpet or high traction no... just numbs the response too much.

HiH
Ed
Old 01-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by TryHard
Outdoors on asphalt, yes, but indoors on carpet or high traction no... just numbs the response too much.

HiH
Ed
thanks
Old 01-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

Originally Posted by RETRO R/C
Hi guys,

Going to be getting back into touring after a few years off. I have narrowed down my choices to a couple of cars - namely the X-Ray (used to run them all the time), Associated 6.1 and the 417.

What are the main "issues" with the 417 - what wears out really quickly? I want to go something different - and the Tamiya is where I think I would like to go. I drive for the Durango team in off road - so I dont mind something a little different. I am looking at the 417x.

I appreciate your time in answering

Cheers

Darryn
the front c hubs they are garbage, buy some square aluminum ones and the car is perfect, I recently sold my 417x, if you want to run different spurs, you will need the extra spacers, and if running on carpet you will need the steering brace carbon, I bought these parts, sold the car then they arrived, lol, anyway other then the c hubs the car is really good
Old 01-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zaraz
the front c hubs they are garbage, buy some square aluminum ones and the car is perfect, I recently sold my 417x, if you want to run different spurs, you will need the extra spacers, and if running on carpet you will need the steering brace carbon, I bought these parts, sold the car then they arrived, lol, anyway other then the c hubs the car is really good
Weird been running Tamiya for nearly 4 years, only ever broke 2 c hubs in that time. Stay away from alloy parts they tend to tweak in a crash and you dont quite know. I have a 417 and wasnt quite happy with it, but by all reports the 417X is a far better car.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

No offense, but if you hit stuff, they will break The better option for more durable C-hubs, rather than aluminium (as mentioned, they bend) are using the plastic TA05 ones. They are softer, and flex a bit more (so car doesn't feel quite as responsive on them), but are much more durable. TAM51293
Old 01-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (95%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
No offense, but if you hit stuff, they will break The better option for more durable C-hubs, rather than aluminium (as mentioned, they bend) are using the plastic TA05 ones. They are softer, and flex a bit more (so car doesn't feel quite as responsive on them), but are much more durable. TAM51293
same track, hit the same boards with the serpent and nothing broke, the tamiya 417x one hit and boom, c hub gone, not a car for indoors, especially if you are trying to dial it in errors will be made, but to have the c hubs break so easily, not just me a lot of problems with tamiya c hubs, and the ta05 are better, so dial the car in with them then switch to the composite ones, thats what I did, but could never get the car to work indoors, and the square c hubs are on the money try them I loved mine, never bend or broke other parts
Old 01-20-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxepower
Novak elec.
do you have a link of a place that carry them? i do not see any anywhere
Old 01-20-2012, 09:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

same track, hit the same boards with the serpent and nothing broke, the tamiya 417x one hit and boom, c hub gone, not a car for indoors, especially if you are trying to dial it in errors will be made, but to have the c hubs break so easily, not just me a lot of problems with tamiya c hubs, and the ta05 are better, so dial the car in with them then switch to the composite ones, thats what I did, but could never get the car to work indoors, and the square c hubs are on the money try them I loved mine, never bend or broke other parts
Driving skill determines the amount of c hubs you break during practice or race. Ive had a 417 for a year and broke all but 3 c hubs.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hotdognobun
who carrys white 12 or 14 gauge wires other than tekin?
EDIT..my mistake saw u wanted white.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 AM
Tech Regular

Default Preferred bearing type used on 417?

Do we all prefer the stock bearings?

If not, what is everyone's preference?

Anybody try so called, maintenance free ceramic bearings? worth it?

Appreciate any experience...

Thx!!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

The stock bearings are great. Just pop them in, no messing about with washing them out and lubing them. I run 13.5t and they are still silky smooth and I haven't touched them.

Not using the kit bearing is a just a waste of cash IMHO.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

i went with Boca ceramic orange seal. It cost almost half of cars price! i feal no advantage over stock! we ll see after a long run how it last? stick with stock and if anyone is looking i have the 417x teflon sealed bearings for sale
Old 01-22-2012, 02:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Been driving tamiya for quite some time. Everything from a tbo3 to my current ta06 & 417. Rarely broke a chub despite some really spectacular crashes. I think i go through more front and rear uprights...

Also comparing your serpent to your tamiya isnt all that fair. Did they hit the exact same barrier at the exact same speed at the same exact angle? Just sayin'...
Old 01-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default 417 setup

Hi Guys,
I have just got a 417 and i am looking for a link to some setups for carpet with rubber tyres
Many thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.