Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree4Likes

Tamiya TRF417

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi to all. Help me choose a gear diff! I have a sakura gear diff v1, but the gears inside the differential wear quickly, and o-rings tight, so the differential works tight even with a small value of density!

Is sakura diff V2 is better than V1 ? Or better use the tamyia gear diff v2?
Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Use the Tamiya V2 diff.
Shim on both sides with 3 shims and use the supplied oil.
After running in it is smooth as butter.

regards Roy

Originally Posted by ezh_m5
Hi to all. Help me choose a gear diff! I have a sakura gear diff v1, but the gears inside the differential wear quickly, and o-rings tight, so the differential works tight even with a small value of density!

Is sakura diff V2 is better than V1 ? Or better use the tamyia gear diff v2?
Old 10-19-2011, 03:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Any idea yet on an upgrade pack ie: top & bottom deck & towers and motor mount?

Will they be sold seperate from the complete car?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chrisk
Any idea yet on an upgrade pack ie: top & bottom deck & towers and motor mount?

Will they be sold seperate from the complete car?
I seriously doubt that Tamiya will release an upgrade kit to a 417X...I am sure it will be a new car only, based on the pics from the Tokyo Hobby show.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I agree that Tamiya most likely won't offer an 'upgrade package'. That being said, Tamiya will offer each part/component individually. This is supported by the fact that every part for a TRF417 is currently available for sale. You'll just have to determine if the total cost (will be high) of purchasing the items individually is worth it.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

is that going to be a chassis for carpet..
Old 10-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by John.C
I agree that Tamiya most likely won't offer an 'upgrade package'. That being said, Tamiya will offer each part/component individually. This is supported by the fact that every part for a TRF417 is currently available for sale. You'll just have to determine if the total cost (will be high) of purchasing the items individually is worth it.
Truth is though, not many of the tweaks are essential maybe the bottom plate if you want more flex and have already cut the motor mount and top deck.

The mods just make the car more tuneable, and easier to adapt to different circuits. If you have sorted the car for your own track you won't go quicker unless you need even more flex than the cut mount, split blocks and cut top deck already give you.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Truth is though, not many of the tweaks are essential maybe the bottom plate if you want more flex and have already cut the motor mount and top deck.

The mods just make the car more tuneable, and easier to adapt to different circuits. If you have sorted the car for your own track you won't go quicker unless you need even more flex than the cut mount, split blocks and cut top deck already give you.
Agreed! It just so happens that I like all of the upgrades/changes that they've made to the new car. I even like the metal battery holders. I know some drivers didn't use the CF types on their 417 but the new metal types looks great. I don't know if I'll be any quicker with the new car but the idea that it 'may' and the excitement of building a new kit are good enough reasons for me to upgrade.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

So can some body tell me if the new trf417x is going to be for carpet with the new changes
Old 10-19-2011, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix

I do agree with this to an extent... but I've found recently that my car is faster on high grip asphalt surfaces as well as low to medium grip, with all the flex dialled in... and that does include the split blocks.
I know Jilles and the gang all used the "flexy" options at the Euro's a while back, and that was traction rolling grip levels.

It maybe that carpet results in a different effect on the grip level, where less flex helps to "un-bind" the car, but tbh I still reckon a X will be just as good on the rug... maybe more tricky to drive, but faster.

HiH
Ed
Old 10-19-2011, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by GeorgePravata
So can some body tell me if the new trf417x is going to be for carpet with the new changes
I haven't read or heard of the 417X or any of the revised parts as being designed specifically for carpet. In a traditional sense carpet specific chassis are thicker resulting in a stiffer car. I don't believe the revised chassis is thicker and/or stiffer. As Ed and others have mentioned the new chassis and motor mount provides more flex. Since I've never run TC on carpet I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. Good news is a new carpet track opened up so I'll have all winter to figure it out.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:00 AM
Tech Elite

Nice we just had a new track open for us race at. My TRF417 was way out to lunch. it was so bad I got sea sick...
Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Nice we just had a new track open for us race at. My TRF417 was way out to lunch. it was so bad I got sea sick...
= for a new carpet track opening up near you
= for the 417 not working so well

I'm going to run both cars when I get the X to see what works better. For me it's about getting the car easier to drive which results in faster and consistent lap times.

I'll catch up with you at Jackson come Spring/Summer. The X should be right at home there.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:00 PM
Tech Elite

yeah can you say way out to lunch with it.. I almost picked up a tc6
Old 10-19-2011, 01:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 88 (100%+)

What setup are you running...I posted one recently that works very well anywhere I go. The car works very well on carpet....

http://linewerx.com/Linewerx/Racing_...IIC%202011.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.