R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-26-2005, 10:12 AM   #106
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to odawg315

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec
I overhead some guys saying that Paragon Ground Effects is pretty toxic and can make you sterile.
wow, my wife wanted me to get snipped after our 2 kids, but now ill just use more tire sauce!!!

***this is a joke, please nobody send me threatening pm's etc, this is only a joke."
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #107
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Rabara
Perhaps the guy was already ill with something else and the paragon help with the dizziness.

thats what im thinking.
dakrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #108
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbs
paragon is and has been proven to be the safest out there... yes it stinks... but the stink is the wintergreen ... wintergreen addatives are the least harmfull thing in there...

all these other tire sauces out there are actually very bad,, there chemical makup is alot worse.... they are scentless killlers... just because somthing stinks. doesnt mean its bad..
How can something that contains Toluene, sound familar, it's the light ends carcinagin that is in things like parts cleaners, and even gasoline, be proven safe.

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:20 AM   #109
Tech Master

nice avatar

Velocity R/C Magazine - vrcmag.com
Rob Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #110
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

i never said it was safe.. i said it was the safest tested...99% of the chemicals we use in rc are in some way dangerous...Motor spray is proly the worst...

Motor cleaner is mostly the same as brake parts cleaner.. i was talking to a mechanic about it one time.. he said he has seen guys who use it every day.. said some of them needed skin graphs.. why.. because with prolonged use it can eat away your skin.... ive used it pretty much once a week for years.. i still have all my skin...

best thing to do is wear rubber gloves...
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #111
Tech Elite

anything in your pit box will be hazardous. motor cleaner, batteries, tire prep (even simple green - slight skin risk), your carbon fiber chassis, and your good luck troll doll. Most of this is known to racers but not spectators.

Only through education will you make things better and safer.

food for thought: When going to a race such as this years USGP @ Indy, you may not know that a tire might fly off and hit you, and you may not know that tossing a bottle of water out on the track (debris) may flip a race car over and kill the driver (something similar nearly happened in indy 500 practice this year) - in either case ignorance is not a defense in a court of law.
Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:31 AM   #112
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I am sorry, but you would never be able to prove the tire additivie caused it....which would be the main burden in a lawsuit.

Tire sauces have been used for years.......and we have never seen a lawsuit, just a lot of complaining....

The F1 example is poor....right on the ticket is your waiver.....the only way you could sue in those cases is if you could prove they were negligent, which isn't the easiest thing.

Basically what you are saying.....is if I park my car near a baseball field and a ball hits it, I can sue....or if I go to an Iron Maiden concert and it damages my hearing.....I can sue...you can't win on either. It's called assumption of risk and it would get dismissed long before they even think about selecting a jury.....

In the end, your lawsuit, even if you could prove it, would be against Paragon....which I doubt you would ever win either.

Later EddieO
Old 06-27-2005, 10:54 AM   #113
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to komkit Send a message via AIM to komkit Send a message via Yahoo to komkit

I get depression, fatigue, pleasurelessness, anxiety, irritability, sleepiness, and sometimes agitation or paranoia.

That happens when I didnít smell the Paragon for 24 hours.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:59 AM   #114
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by komkit
I get depression, fatigue, pleasurelessness, anxiety, irritability, sleepiness, and sometimes agitation or paranoia.

classic signs of addiction

403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:27 AM   #115
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A-Ko

One rumor that I hear the inventor of Paragon is 6' under due to it's toxicity. Sounds like a job for MythBusters. Many tracks do ban the stuff it is either the smell or the toxicness of the stuff. I do have a friend that does get sick if exposed too long to the stuff indoors, he has missed mains and days of work directly as a result. I know if I goto an uncontrolled indoor track, I get to feeling a little sick myself.

Anyway the thought of all these chemicals is a little scary. A doctor friend who is in this hobby, calls motor spray nuclear waste, after he looked at its chemical make-up. At that point we switched to rubbing alcohol. I try and use rubber gloves as much as I can, motor spray as little as possible if at all (usually ony for bearings) and take whatever measures to stay away from the chemicals.

Just because your skin does not fall off does not mean that your body and viatal organs is not absorbing the chemicals found in motorspray or tire cleaner.....
USVTA National Points Member #101
A-Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:35 PM   #116
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to odawg315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason
anything in your pit box will be hazardous. motor cleaner, batteries, tire prep (even simple green - slight skin risk), your carbon fiber chassis, and your good luck troll doll. Most of this is known to racers but not spectators.

Only through education will you make things better and safer.

food for thought: When going to a race such as this years USGP @ Indy, you may not know that a tire might fly off and hit you, and you may not know that tossing a bottle of water out on the track (debris) may flip a race car over and kill the driver (something similar nearly happened in indy 500 practice this year) - in either case ignorance is not a defense in a court of law.
hey thanks mason!!! good to see you active on the boards!!
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:52 PM   #117
Tech Addict

I also get sick from this stuff. I have tried everything even pitting in the car, so that I could get fresh air. I have been called a wuss too many times to count. I almost tried a mask, but didn't want to to look like Michael Jackson on the driver stand. I Barely made it home many times. I love racing, but luckly I usually get real busy around indoor season. I have been using paragon traction action without getting sick. The brands that have make me sick are: niftech, Paragon, and the one i thought was going to put me six feet under BUGGY GRIP.

If you get sick from this stuff a word of advice. Stay away from the Hacket brothers, they even use it one their radio wheel
Formula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:55 PM   #118
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula1fan
I have been called a wuss too many times to count.

Pay no attention to them...they're just wannabe tough guys...too hardcore to admit the nausating affects of their precious tire juice.
403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:01 PM   #119
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason
in either case ignorance is not a defense in a court of law.

Ummmm, it is in our America. ex: Fat guy sues McDee's for getting a heart attack. Woman sues McDee's for spilling hot coffee in her lap. Woman sues NYC for attemping suicide by subway car and she didn't die.

If you get the right jury, ignorance is a great case for a lawsuit.
ChadCapece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:56 PM   #120
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by komkit

Preach on my Brother!!! I've been racing Carpet for 17+ years, and the smell of PARAGON has NEVER made me sick. Jack the Gripper, and Zip Free give me headaches, and the occasional nosebleed, but I've never had an issue at Paragon facilities. Oddly, when you go to a track that allows Paragon, EVERYONE uses it. They may switch to Niftech when Bite gets TOO high. People love to expound on how well JTG and ZF, and TQ work, but most of these people run on tracks that DON'T allow Paragon. Virtually any Tire Sauce will work on a track that already has a nice groove of Paragon, but you can't say that for the other makes of compound. I've run at more than a few tracks, and I've been to those that mandate one form of traction over the others, and this is what I've discovered.

TQ Tracks: The track is always greasy, regardless of set-up, or tire choice. The track has bite, but it's not the greatest.

JTG Tracks: The track has bite similar to Paragon until you really start testing the grip level, then you notice it tends to "give-up" earlier than Paragon.
Tires also seem to wear quite a bit faster using JTG.

Zip-Free tracks: Very close to JTG, with a bit less bite, and I believe a FAR MORE OFFENSIVE odor than ANY traction compound with the exception of Old School red dot.

Many odorless compounds tend to close the cell structure of the tires as well, which changes their handling properties, and not always in a good way.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote