R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-20-2004, 10:31 PM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

thanks black kat...

I almost forgot if I stare at the wall too long I'll ruin my vision...
Tempest2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 10:36 PM   #77
Tech Fanatic

Guys, just because some thing is odourless, doesn't mean it can't hurt you.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 10:37 PM   #78
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to volracer

I do not like knitting. But if who knows what is used in taction additives, body cleaners, motor cleaners etc. Of course our exposure during a race is limited, but is it not better to seek chemicals that are less harmful (BTW 3" of water will drown you)?
volracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 11:06 PM   #79
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Howard
So if I get heat stroke from staying out in the sun too long at a race I can sue the track owner for not telling me to get in the shade?
Most people know that over exposure to the sun can cause heat stoke or serious sunburn. You have a legal right to stand out in the sun till you pass out if you want to. However if you pass out due to chemicals in the air of an enclosed track which has not informed you of the dangers of the chemicals in the air, or had you sign a waiver stating the above they could be liable for any injury that is incurred.

If a spectator at a F1 race looses the ability to walk becuase a wheel came off in a crash, bounced over the barricades(which wasn't high enough) and hits them, they should not be allowed to sue? Of course they should.

Last edited by fatdoggy; 06-20-2004 at 11:18 PM.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 11:08 PM   #80
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to volracer

Here is a link with info about traction fluid and motor cleaners. You might be suprised. We still have time to develop R/C knitting needles.
http://www.chemistry.ohio-state.edu/...c/Paragon.html
volracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 12:15 AM   #81
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I wish I could say that that will lay this to rest, but someone will argue......
Phatkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:14 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally posted by Phatkat
By that logic, we should ban swaybars too, since they're just a crutch anyway:
WOW, talk about your apples and oranges.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 05:17 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally posted by volracer
You can not believe everything from California and here is proof.
http://www.snopes.com/toxins/dhmo.htm
BTW dihydrogen monoxide is water.
not to start a fight or anything but, i read the kids report, and everything in it was true, isn't it? are you saying that because he used a fancied up name for water that it isn't??
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 06:54 AM   #84
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
We still have time to develop R/C knitting needles
will there be a torque and rev version of these?
dontfeelcold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 07:13 AM   #85
Tech Regular

This is from that article on the ohio chemistry site:
Quote:
Of course, at this point one should go to the top of this page and read the first two lines which has been known for 500 years - dose does matter. Both methyl salicylate and hexanes are relatively safe, but one should try to limit the exposure to each to reduce the ill effects
This is the issue. If there is one person at the track practicing and they use some paragon, then perhaps its not dangerous. But when you get 60 guys in a track leaving cans open for 4 hours, you tend to vent a lot of it into the air. Its the same reason that standing next to an idling car wont kill you, but standing in a garage with 50 idling cars will.

In the end, though, it comes down to the individual track. If everyone at a track decides that they want to go home smelling like they came from a bubblegum factory, thats up to them. Personally, I dont care for the stuff, it just makes everything stink.
RC Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 07:47 AM   #86
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Not to rain on your parade about the big switch to knitting but,

Let's not for get that not all yarn is made from wool. Some is acrylic or polyester. We all know that the production of sythetic fabrics involves the use of caustic chemicals and dyes for coloring. The needles are usually made of aluminum which is made by mining Bauxite. Bauxite mining is very harmful to the environment and causes problems with ground water and destroys natural habitat for wildlife.
The needles are usually colored which means they're anodized. Another process using chemicals known to be hazardous and highly flammable under certain conditions.

Who knew that grandma was in such danger all these years?

Just can't have any fun any more can we!
Rick Vessell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:24 AM   #87
Tech Apprentice

Default No relevance

Um Slipknot, I read your little thign about Germany.... (and this has nothign to do wiht the orginal post so... I've seen it happen many times so I figure it's ok.) What tracks are you talking about. I only know of 3 in German and I'm sur ethere has to be at least 10 more. The thing I've noticed though about Germans (or Europeans to generalize) is that they are totally serious about their racing. Totally. There are old old old men racing, and have dedicated what it seems their whole life to it. Not just a lot but really a lot. At the track I normally go to, no one talks to me. No one says one word. No one comes over to check my rig, no one makes eye contact, well except the owner and the guy that works behind the counter. I think they think I can't speak german, but even still it's RC i bet they can speak a little english.
The only people i've know to be cool when it comes to RC in Europe is everyone except a german. This is no joke though, maybe I'm just living in a real crappy part of Germany but thank goodness I'm right next to Holland and Belgium. :-)
Committed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:32 AM   #88
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I believe Paragon's smell changes(goes South), once the applicator gets dirty( picking up the dirt and other traction compounds from the track) from not cleaning the tires after your initial run.

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:41 AM   #89
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Committed88 - Boy racing in Germany sounds like fun... not.

Phatkat - As RC Paperboy said, 50 plus racers using it in a building that has no ventilation for 11 hours straight... that is the situation at my local track through the winter. Can you say "eyes watering"?

On another note, in Australia tracks have insurance to cover their arses in case they get sued. Is this common practice in the US or is it not required?
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:21 AM   #90
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default I'm Asthmatic!!!

But there are tracks here that we need to use PARAGON!

The smell of PARAGON triggers my ASTHMA!!! I just take precautions, like bring my medications, apply it outside or pit far from the area of greater concentration of the fumes!!! I love the Hobby and won't let my disability prevent me from playing.

And when I use motor cleaner, I always, check firstthe direction of the wind so I'm exposed less!

What's worse is when you use the solder---- those fumes are odorless but many times as harmful as the fumes of paragon.

But the only think that I feel bad is I really can't do anything about the Nitro Fumes--- Wanted to try Nitro but doing that will be stupidity on my part cause I'll know I'll just have asthma when I get home!

Good think the Guy who almost passed out-- think of himself first before his addiction which is RC!!!

Peace and HapPy Racing!
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote