Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tire width

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Default Tire width

I got too much grip, so I'm looking for some new tires.

I'll probably try out a tire called "M1", which I now got good grip on our track - too much actually, for my needs. This is with 24 mm.

How will it affect the handling, if I go down to 21 mm? I assume less grip, and maybe more acceleration due to less rotating mass. Correct?

These tires comes premounted on rims, are those kinds of rims usually made so they'll reduce the total chassis width?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

As long as the rim offset is the same then they shouldn't effect chassis width. I've never used 21mm rubber so I'm not sure..
Old 06-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Tech Elite

21mm, is that width of the wheel?
Old 06-11-2004, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Neil Rabara
21mm, is that width of the wheel?
Yes. They come with rubber tire, insert and rim. The price is extremely low, so I've just ordered them. Might be a success, otherwise, I just throw them out...
Old 06-11-2004, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Talking

hey cole,

how can you have too much grip? wouldn't that indicate a setup change is necessary? or are you just too fast for the others and are looking for a challenge?

seriously though, can you not harness the grip that the 24mm's have? oh, and yes, your argument is right with grip vs. rotating mass. but it's not a linear proportionality. you typically sacrifice grip faster than you gain the accelleration.

lata
Old 06-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Tire width

Originally posted by Cole Trickle
I got too much grip, so I'm looking for some new tires.
There are other ways to take away grip without sacrificing the width of the tire. Go stiffer on the suspension, or put a stiffer upper deck, or even change the body. Changing the contact patch of the tire is dramatic.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:21 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Neil and Seaball.

I got so much traction, that I easily make traction roll. And yes, I've already reduced droop, stiffend up the suspension etc.

Problem is, we have some bumps in our track, so I'm already on the edge about having stiffer suspension.

These tires are approx. 1/3 of the normal price for 4 tires/inserts/rims. So it's worth a try. Besides, they come pre-glued, and I hate gluing tires

But if it wont work, I'll guess the next step will be harder inserts.

Funny thing is, I'm always running harder suspension and inserts, than most other guys at the track. Recently, we had a race. One of the mates was wondering I could drive as fast, as I did, with such a hard setup. But it works for me that way. So what the heck...
Old 06-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

I've purchased these M1 tires in 24 and 21 mm width. I havent tried them yet and worse, I cant go to the track in the next 2 weeks

Anyway, the width seems to also affect the firmness. The tires are pre-mounted on the same kind of wheels and with the same compound of insert. But the simple fact that the distance between the two tire walls are smaller, also make the a little harder.

I look forward to try the out, but I'll appreciate if someone will share their experience on this.