R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-19-2004, 10:43 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default "soaking" brushes?

hey everyone,
i read about someone soaking their brushes in tribo and they said it made them perform better.

has anyone else tried this? does it work?

and does it have to be tribo? or will say... trinity black death do the same thing? or just other comm drops in general

im thinking of doing it myself... but only if it actually works

thanx
robbie

Yokomo * HobbyWing * Sanwa
xray racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:24 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i hread this on another forum but if u soak harder brushes like putnam greens or the 99 brushed from trinity for a while few weeks they would become softer and break in easier meaning less wear on the comm i think thats the only benefit.
syntex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 03:11 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Im with syntex1 on this one......Using tribo, I soaked several pairs of 767's, 4499's and 766 actrons between 1 week and 3 months in tribo.....and all I noticed was a little less wear on the comm.....no power advantage at all......some even chipped and crumbled a little during break in...........

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 07:15 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

with Tribo, less is more... scratch the face of the brush with an xacto in order for Tribo to soak in, then put a drop or two on the face, keep it vertical for 15minutes, et voila, 15 minutes after the tribo's gone in the brush, you can break them in... that's pretty much all you need.

After lots of packs... I have noticed no performance gain using tribo, no matter what BJ says. BUT it does help a LOT with comm wear and brush lifespan... I can use Quasar brushes for more than 20 runs with Tribo (that's on 12T, we're in Europe here ). And the comm suffers a lot less and requires fewer cuts.

Once again... with comm drops in general, less is more...

Later
Paul

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 08:56 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Never tried the soak thing, but with tribo, less is more. I use the smallest part of a drop on the com, turn the motor one way, then another small part of a drop and turn the motor the other way. It works for me. A few weeks ago I was running off road and my motor was getting tired. Needed a tune up but I dont usually do that pitting in the grass at night so I gave it my tribo treatment and the motor was MUCH faster.

I have found it works but I only use it for the mains. It seems the motor needs to be sparyed out every time after I run a pack through the motor then re tribo.

David Root

I am going to try the scratch and drop method so thanks for the tip.
David Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 09:58 AM   #6
Tech Elite

glad to help

The train stops at the train station. The bus stops at the bus station. In my office I have a workstation.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:05 PM   #7
tornado

Ho ho ho guys.....I'm new to this. Wots tribo ?
Old 06-21-2004, 01:03 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to S-T-R-l-K-E-R

tribo is a brand of comm drops. it is supposed to make your electric motor run faster, cooler, and makes your motor more efficient.

one of the things that you guys have posted is that you felt no change in the performance of you motor. one reason why this has happened is comm drops has little effect on brushes that have a high silver content. infact i have noticed that comm drops even made the motor perform worse when used with brushes with high silver content.
S-T-R-l-K-E-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 01:09 AM   #9
tornado

Ooooohhhhhh...!!! comm drops eh....never tried them.... r u guys sure by soaking the brushes in it will improve performance ?? Wots da logic behind this ? ...Care to share ?
Old 06-21-2004, 01:47 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

im not sure if my concept on soaking brushes is correct but carbon is a natural absorbant so if you soak it in comm drops; well in theory it should absorb the drops.
Old 06-21-2004, 02:19 AM   #11
Tech Elite

actually what we said below is that soaking's no good... you should only use such products in VERY limited amounts (i.e. one or two drops max).

As I said... from my experience, with Tribo Qbrushes and Orion sprint brushes, no performance difference... BUT they last really really really longer, which is good enough already ;^)

Later
Paul

Old 06-21-2004, 10:18 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

i used to drop few drop in high silver brush but it made the comm worse. soaking it and dry it before used no difference, for my experience.
rcsabah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 08:54 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by rcsabah
i used to drop few drop in high silver brush but it made the comm worse. soaking it and dry it before used no difference, for my experience.
-never use comm drops on brushes with high silver content
Old 06-21-2004, 09:07 PM   #14
tornado

Got it! no tribo on silver brushes