R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2010, 05:08 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Unhappy Photon, TCX or TC6? Which to get and why?

I've previously posted that I was getting back into TC RC. I've narrowed down my choices to these three cars. Honestly, all the TC's seem to have the same exact design with the spur in the middle sandwiched by two belts. Seems like the only true difference among the cars is the color of the anodized parts? I.e. - which do you prefer? Blue for TC6, Red for Photon and Purple for TCX!!

This is what I've gathered so far for each car:

Photon - seems like the best bang for the buck at roughly $380. This includes TWO chassis: one for foam and one for rubber racing. The USA spec also includes another set of suspension parts! Also, it looks like this car is presented very well. The website even had a Powerpoint outlining all the seemingly unique features of the car. On the downside, this car seems so popular that it's always out of stock. If I ever break any parts, I would assume this could be an issue.

TC6 - roughly $390. Upon looking at kit pics, for some reason, this car doesn't seem "complete". I mean, it looks like it's decontented somehow that Associated would most likely release a "team" or a "worlds" version in a few months or so. I can't necessarily put a finger on it, but it feels like something is missing. Also, aside from having the spur sandwiched between the two belts, it doesn't really seem like they did much improvement when compared to their older TC5. I.e. - what is unique about this car aside from the blue anodized parts? Also, TC5 or TC6's haven't been on the A main races as much (or at all). Seems like the same amount as Photon, but that's excusable for Photon since it's not as established as a manufacturer to me. I would venture to say that the top level pros aren't using them for a reason. On the real good side, if I break any parts, I'm confident that my LHS would most likely stock the parts.

TCX - roughly $420. Seems like the most "complete" kit out of the three. I like the anodized drive shafts, that it has a center belt tensioner, nice anodized twin crank steering. One thing I hate is spending x amount of money only to realize later that I have to buy more "option" parts. With Atsushi Hara and Andy Moore contributing to the design, I'm probably more confident of the car's capabilities. Plus, I think I like the color anodizing of this car the best. On the downside, parts availability might be in question. I've never had any parts issues with my previous HPI RS4 Pro car, so I don't know what happened since then that people seem to have the opinion of hard to get parts for Hot Bodies.

So am I missing something from above? If so, could anyone state their opinions based on what information they've gathered? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by M3Armand; 09-28-2010 at 04:41 PM.
M3Armand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
ark
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Tamiya! Proven performance, available parts, gear diffs, plenty of support.
ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark View Post
It's not part of my list... and it costs $100 zillion dollars...
Old 09-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
ark
Tech Addict

I know its not on your list but it costs the same as TCX, and same design features. Maybe you want a challenge lol
Old 09-03-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (98%+)

Quote:
+1 TAMIYA 416X WITH LIPO CHASSIS AND SPEC R GEAR DIFF IS WHAT YOU WANT..
Old 09-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

M3,

What brands does your hobby shop or track support? AE has traditionally been in more hobby shops that I have visited, and therefore their parts are easier to get. I'd also consider what cars other racers are running; dialing in your car at the track can be faster if you have several people running the same chassis.

I'm leaning toward a TCX myself, I've enjoyed the HPI/HB line of touring sedans (ok, not the Pro3, lol) since the original RS4 with the gearbox. I'm not thrilled at the price, but from a design stand point, the TCX seems to be clean and well thought out.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #7
ark
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplantlife View Post
The hot ticket at the moment for sure!

But M3Armand if you stick to your list, I would go for TCX. It has good drivers to test/tune, hotbodies always develop their products and parts should become more available again.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

TC6, did you see how fast it was at the worlds and the nat's?

the tcx didn't even make the A with Hara driving it....

the top wasnt at the worlds

It all comes down to parts, Associated makes them, your LHS has them

I know HB and TOP team guys who can't even get parts
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
AOD
Tech Regular

I live on a island and I have no problems getting parts for my Photon. It doesn't break anyway. I still have all the extra suspension parts from both my kits. Car is fast, reliable and the price is right. What more could you ask for.
AOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

"Also, TC5 or TC6's haven't been on the A main races as much (or at all)"

Results are a combination of driver/car/setup/and luck...

If you disregard the results and look at qualifying lap times the TC6 was right there with Juho, Olly, and Rick on pace but just making small mistakes costing them overall times...

Onroad Nats just a few weeks ago Kevin Hebert was right there and at times pushing Lemieuxs Xray around the track...

Olly Jeffries just took round 4 of the BRCA series beating Elliot Harper (Tamiya), Chris Grainger (Schumacher), and Andy Moore (Hot Bodies)...

All 3 are capable vehicles with the right setup and driver
Old 09-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
I know its not on your list but it costs the same as TCX, and same design features. Maybe you want a challenge lol
Costs the same as the TCX? Can you point me out to who is selling it? Thanks. I do like the Tamiya, but I think it's at least $100 more than the TCX. Also, I like the purple anodizing of the TCX vs blue on the Tamiya. But if it costs the same as the TCX, I may just go for it.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplantlife View Post
Does this come with the kit already or is this another $200 extra?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #13
ark
Tech Addict

Yep these may help.
http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=19487
http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=9074
http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=9250
Old 09-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default .

If you don't see the bif differences in the TC5 and TC6 maybe you are loking at the wrong pics. It's a totaly different car. They adressed the biggest complaint about the TC5, the shocks. The Tc6 has all new shocks with a bottom loaded seals and more travel. New chassis for Lipo batteries. The motor is moved in for better balance. They've updated the steering. They lowered the center of gravity on the layshaft, so the spur gear sits lower in the car. It is going to be a very fast, competaive car. As far as top level pros using or not using them you can't go by that. They use the car of whoever is paying them, not what car they like best. As far as the TCX, I ran HPI/Hot Bodies cars for a long time ad I was NEVER impressed with the quality of the materials they use. The Cyclone TC had major issues with the chassis being poorley made. I only used them cause I races the HPI Challenege every year. I got tired of them cancelling the series constantly, and tired of the poor quality, and I'm done with them now. Now the T.O.P. nice car. If there wasn't a new AE coming, I would have a T.O.P.
Twiztid Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Thanks ark... But I'm not really interested in purchasing a car overseas (RC Mushroom is in Hong Kong, RC Market in the UK). I'd have to pay for high shipping. But more important than that, I'm not risking sending my credit card information overseas! Identity theft / credit card theft is not your friend. I'm all too familiar with it from my line of work and I wouldn't order any car from outside the US even if it cost me a $1!

Tags
tc6 vs tcx vs photon