R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-18-2010, 11:05 PM   #61
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 35
Default

I work at a Hobby Shop with a carpet track and I have run 2 of the 3 cars (top and TCX) and I have seen the new TC6 on the track, so here is what I can tell about the 3.

TC6- When we first built the carpet track I had a TC5 and the car was the most trouble free car I have ever owned. Every now and then I would break a blade or coupler pin in CVD. Car was very consistent and suited my driving style. Others seem to struggle with the cars aggresive nature meaning the steering. The TC6 seems to be easier to drive and faster through the corners without the touchy steering.

Photon-Ran one for a few months when the shop owner couldn't make it work. Love the spool design, the screws were soft so I replaced with stainless, easy to work on. Car generates a lot of traction. Awesome on-throttle steering and handling but had slight push off throttle. All in all very solid car. Now remember this was the shop owners car I only raced it 2 times and tuned on it for 4 months.

TCX-I got this car 5 weeks ago and I'm still playing with a few things. This is what I can tell so far: lots of traction, way easier to drive than a cyclone, lots of cyclone parts carry over, will need pivot blocks for tuning front, this car does not have to be driven hard to be fast, silky smooth diff. Still trying to get my hands on a few parts to try a few things. Remember this car has just been released and has done quite well in it's first few races. So be patient when looking for certain parts because the kits are selling fast.

Hope this helps.
silky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:34 PM   #62
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 147
Default MY PENNIESWORTH

The Photon mimiks very closely the Tamiya 416 suspension geometry apparently

I have the photon after the Xray 008. I had the 008 as a stop-gap after a schumacher mi4lp, and a cyclone before that.

As to hot-bodies cyclone - it's actually very well made apart from the fact that the rear of the chassis puts the left rear hub in a greater toe in position than the right - it may be a mold problem.

The Schumacher MI4 is surpprisingly solid and well built - I didn't have the skill to drive such a pointy car.

The Xray - put it this way - I've kept it as a trusty car. It's built superbly.

The Photon - has some excellent design ideas - but they are not particularly well built. I got mine nearly new, but unfortunately the idiot that built it stripped loads of the screws, either in the aluminium or the screws themselves. I've never had such issues with any of my other cars before.

I have to say though, that the Photon does feel excellent to drive. You can do lots of 'stuff' to it such as flip the belts as well as the servo. It also has nice touches such as the holes to allow your drivers to go through to carry out adjustments. The other nice thing is that they are using it as a platform on which you can attache new parts/options if or when you want them.

Don't get obsessed with which driver is using the chassis at the ISTC A-MAIN. all those drivers can make any of the others cars work for them - it's not like formula 1 racing in that regard. Jurad Hudy made a point that there were more differences in tyre prep that brought about differences than there were between cars.

I've not seen the TC6, but like the Photon and the Cyclone, it aint gonna change every few months unlike the schumachers, tamiyas, and the Xrays.
Lohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:03 PM   #63
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,988
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohan View Post
The Photon mimiks very closely the Tamiya 416 suspension geometry apparently

I have the photon after the Xray 008. I had the 008 as a stop-gap after a schumacher mi4lp, and a cyclone before that.

As to hot-bodies cyclone - it's actually very well made apart from the fact that the rear of the chassis puts the left rear hub in a greater toe in position than the right - it may be a mold problem.

The Schumacher MI4 is surpprisingly solid and well built - I didn't have the skill to drive such a pointy car.

The Xray - put it this way - I've kept it as a trusty car. It's built superbly.

The Photon - has some excellent design ideas - but they are not particularly well built. I got mine nearly new, but unfortunately the idiot that built it stripped loads of the screws, either in the aluminium or the screws themselves. I've never had such issues with any of my other cars before.

I have to say though, that the Photon does feel excellent to drive. You can do lots of 'stuff' to it such as flip the belts as well as the servo. It also has nice touches such as the holes to allow your drivers to go through to carry out adjustments. The other nice thing is that they are using it as a platform on which you can attache new parts/options if or when you want them.

Don't get obsessed with which driver is using the chassis at the ISTC A-MAIN. all those drivers can make any of the others cars work for them - it's not like formula 1 racing in that regard. Jurad Hudy made a point that there were more differences in tyre prep that brought about differences than there were between cars.

I've not seen the TC6, but like the Photon and the Cyclone, it aint gonna change every few months unlike the schumachers, tamiyas, and the Xrays.
Correction......the Cyclone chassis isn't molding wrong. It was their hubs. Put Aluminum one's on or Tamiya 416 hubs on the car and the toe is equal from side to side.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:32 AM   #64
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 258
Default

As the cyclone and TCX hubs are the same part I am assuming that teh toe problem is still present with the TCX.....correct?
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:26 AM   #65
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 147
Default oh well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Correction......the Cyclone chassis isn't molding wrong. It was their hubs. Put Aluminum one's on or Tamiya 416 hubs on the car and the toe is equal from side to side.
Fair do's - still doesn't change the fact that something was 'out' on the kit, and one has to go to the trouble of spending a lot on aluminium - which I personally don't like, or another company's part.

That said, otherwise the car was well made, and is lovely to drive, not only that, but the team drivers do come to good base set-ups
Lohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 AM   #66
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 172
Default

i had the T2R the T3 the Tamiya 416, Tamiya 416X and now the TC6.

Compared to laptimes with Modified 4,5 / 5,5 and Stock 17,5
on Carpet my 416X and the TC6 are exact the same speed.

Take the TC6! Quality/Price/Performance and durability is perfect

just do it!
__________________
# Team Shepherd # http://rccar24.com/ # Brilliant RC # PICCO # Matrix Racing Tires # Hitec/Multiplex # looxon stickers
thilo-alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:53 PM   #67
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,988
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohan View Post
Fair do's - still doesn't change the fact that something was 'out' on the kit, and one has to go to the trouble of spending a lot on aluminium - which I personally don't like, or another company's part.

That said, otherwise the car was well made, and is lovely to drive, not only that, but the team drivers do come to good base set-ups
No arguement from me. I never liked running other company's equipment on my car either but I did what I had to do
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #68
Tech Elite
 
Mike Haynes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Area 51
Posts: 3,699
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr lee View Post
As the cyclone and TCX hubs are the same part I am assuming that teh toe problem is still present with the TCX.....correct?
I have been running my tcx with the stock rear hubs, toe is very very close left to right and i havn't had any issues with it. Overall it is a good car, just as the others are, you would want to run whatever you can buy parts for locally.
__________________
Team Associated - Reedy Power - Sweep - Protoform - TQ Wire - Lacher paint
Mike Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:05 PM   #69
Tech Elite
 
olhipster1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Asgard
Posts: 3,994
Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default I tried em all

I have to say the TCX is absolutely great...
only weak part is the front aluminum dog bones but that is easily fixed.. but love it handles like a demon ....picked up 2 laps with two weekends..of using it.

tried the photon for a season....very good car but just wasn't me but a great performer....car showed me how to be smoother with the throttle control.

TC6 was a super easy built, shocks were way easier to build than the old style....they seem pretty sturdy. beef up the front end with a Parma bumper.....
__________________
everything is Cause and effect
every Action has a reaction.
"I drank too much wine - I must take a p!ss"
CAUSE and EFFECT

Last edited by olhipster1; 12-23-2010 at 01:04 PM.
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #70
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 258
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Haynes View Post
I have been running my tcx with the stock rear hubs, toe is very very close left to right and i havn't had any issues with it. Overall it is a good car, just as the others are, you would want to run whatever you can buy parts for locally.
Thanks Dude! Just wanted to make sure they are now ok as I have two TCX's for next year.....one nearly finished and the other still boxed.
mr lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:42 AM   #71
Tech Master
 
Troy Mckune's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 1,690
Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Default www.thebigrc.com TC6 Review

I recently made the switch from a Photon to a TC6. I wrote a review of the TC6 comparing it to the Photon for thebigrc.com.

Check it out at http://www.thebigrc.com/

Troy
__________________
Mckune Design / facebook page / RC America / XRAY / Lunsford Racing
Mckune Design is a custom manufacturer of CNC machined carbon fiber, G10, & composite laminate parts for RC, Aerospace, medical, and high tech industries.
Troy Mckune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:58 AM   #72
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 74
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Mckune View Post
I recently made the switch from a Photon to a TC6. I wrote a review of the TC6 comparing it to the Photon for thebigrc.com.

Check it out at http://www.thebigrc.com/

Troy
hi troy , after reading your write up with interest , i am too thinking of changing from my photons ( i have 2 ) to a tc6 , but only after speaking to my mate , who is also thinking of making a change from a xray 009 to a tc6 ..

i love my photons , they are good strong cars and seem to be really consistent , more consistent than me ... ..

is it really worth making the change, as i said i love my photons and have been the best ive had !! ...
shaun207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
tc6 vs tcx vs photon


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:41 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net