Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree120Likes

TAMIYA M-06 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 11:59 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by ruebiracer
Thank you Erik-Jan, it´s the same Combo as we use. Do you know, which tester is used for the brushless motors?
The normal Sky/turnigy, also works with sensorless. Note there is minor difference between the testers even of the same batch.
Old 04-07-2019, 02:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Enjoyed having the track all to myself, tuning and testing to see which is faster, M04 or M06. And the winner is...

ruebiracer likes this.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:32 PM
Tech Regular

Great Video Joel,
you really had a tough Training day!
I really like your testing Methods, very cool you also tried axle weights on the M04.
Good luck for your next race, I´m so curious what you can do with your M04.
Also, your findings and my experience with my M07 makes me quite excited on the upcoming new M08.
Kind regards,
Matthias
Old 04-12-2019, 05:54 AM
Tech Elite

Hi Matthias,

The M04 has motivated me again into the hobby.
M06 overweight 100grams and poor weight distribution was hopeless. Cannot fight physics
M08 seems nice with the easy access oil diff and maybe droop screws. I might buy one.
Still a month away to my next race. No way will I allow a FWD to beat a RWD. A 100 gram overweight rear motor M06 yes.
But not a 1200gram mid motor M04.

Joel
Old 04-12-2019, 09:19 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rccartips
Hi Matthias,

The M04 has motivated me again into the hobby.
M06 overweight 100grams and poor weight distribution was hopeless. Cannot fight physics
M08 seems nice with the easy access oil diff and maybe droop screws. I might buy one.
Still a month away to my next race. No way will I allow a FWD to beat a RWD. A 100 gram overweight rear motor M06 yes.
But not a 1200gram mid motor M04.

Joel
Really admire the effort and training you put into your mission!
Seems I Need to check my tire temperatures now, too.
I barely use the droop screws on my M05RV2 and my M07, they are just so painful to adjust from below.
More keen on the longer suspension arms, soft springs and the 4 gear effect on traction out of the corner...
And, as you, the weight savings over my M06. (which I still love nevertheless…)

Thank you for all the tipps you gave in your Video, and the entertaining way you present everything.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Joel your M04 / M06 comparison makes me wish I still had an M04. Back when I had it, I had zero knowledge on set up.. and found it un drivable. All it did was spin out lol.. I had no knowledge of weight transfer front to back, camber settings etc.

Im curious to see how much the M08 will weigh. I have a feeling it will be heavier than M07 still.. since main chassis is tubish like the M06, instead of the exo skeleton of M07.

Tower has has it up now for pre order yet no new pictures. Tamiyablog added new hop ups yesterday
Old 04-12-2019, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Wednesday I was at track preparing for TCS race in two weeks. Installed new Reedy Fixed Timing 21.5 in M06........... oops sorry I fell asleep just typing that.

All I can say is this new motor might as well be a crawler motor. I hate it LOL. It is slower than the previous Reedy spec motor from last year.

there was an M05 on track with last year reedy 21.5 and tamiya type A slicks. I was running M06 with new reedy 21.5 on ride inch up slicks.

The track is 110’ by 60’. Our times around the track were identical. We could not catch each other. LOL.

Im usually faster in the straight and out of corners with my M06.. but not with this motor.

In truth it will make the race very even.. more about tactics and strategy.

Traction is super high on black carpet, so I’m thinking I may need to reduce rear toe to gain more speed.

I’m presently running 2°, which makes it 5° on M06? Don’t recall exactly.

so I might try what Aitutaki tried before and reverse the uprights for Sunday.!
Old 04-12-2019, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Hi Raman,

On a big track you might even go with zero rear toe in. Grip will still be there. Softer diff will be your advantage over fwd.
For me my M06 gains on fwd on corner entry. Exit is same.
Your carpet track is 110 feet? Wow. Do you have a video of your track?

My concern on M08 is weight and added friction of 4 gear transmission.

Joel
Raman likes this.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by rccartips
Hi Raman,

On a big track you might even go with zero rear toe in. Grip will still be there. Softer diff will be your advantage over fwd.
For me my M06 gains on fwd on corner entry. Exit is same.
Your carpet track is 110 feet? Wow. Do you have a video of your track?

My concern on M08 is weight and added friction of 4 gear transmission.

Joel
here is the link to track on liveRC.. today it’s set up for off road

https://702rcraceway.liverc.com/live/
rccartips likes this.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Working on M06 rear toe.. Joel, you’re right, on black carpet I should have plenty of rear grip! I’m going to take you up on your suggestion. going to try 0° rear toe.. F1 style! If need be, I still have the R spec axle weight to add if rear grip is needed. Time to shake ßhit up and get this car ready for TCS!! One last win for M06 before it retires to shelf queen.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:59 PM
Tech Elite

Raman... Mazda Miata body is your salvation to beat the FWD
Old 04-13-2019, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Another 5 hour tuning session. Garnered new insights. Realized I still have lot's to learn.

Nerobro and ruebiracer like this.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Well I spent the whole day at track today driving the M06 in preparation for the TCS race in two weeks.

There was an M05 there as well from one of the expert drivers at track.. so we drove and practiced together the whole day.

He was running a Hobby Wing 25.5 versus my Reedy spec 21.5 fixed timing. He had not yet purchased his new spec motor for TCS and the interesting part was.. he had more top speed. So when I say this New Reedy spec motor is slow.. I’m not joking!!!

I started the day with the goal of throwing my tried true set up out the window and testing something different. in preparation, I already swapped out the 1°rear up rights and installed the 2° uprights reversed, virtually giving me 0° toe. Once on the track, this set up proved to make the car very unstable. The CRC black carpet was pulling my car in all sorts of direction.

Next I tried softer spring switching from blue to yellow.. still no improvement. Car was still un drivable. Next I tried loosening the diff and no luck there either.

i suspected that the 0° degree would not work but before changing I consulted our top F1 driver and he advised me to change to 1°.

So I swapped out the hubs and the car made a 180° change for the better. It was still a little nervous but once the tyres warmed up, it became consistent. Next change, I went back to blue springs and car became more planted. Last I tightened diff as I could here it diffing out in turns and now the 06 started to turn Lapps in mid 19s.

At at this time my friend hit the track with the 05 and we did mock races together. What I found interesting was that my car was quicker into turns, out of turns and in the infield. He would catch me on the straight with his 25.5. This made me confident that with a field filled with Reedy 21.5 FT, I would be super competitive.

The car definitely felt more free with the 1° rear toe. Rear tyres were no longer scrubbing speed on the straight. Just this motor is slow.. so hard to gauge without someone at the track with the same motor.

With 1º rear toe, I also tested car with R spec brass axle weight. Car became incredibly stable and predictable. I hope by Wednesday someone else shows up with track with the new spec motor so I can have a better idea.

All in all.. super happy with results.. reversed hubs are definitely working
rccartips and ruebiracer like this.

Last edited by Raman; 04-14-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Raman
Well I spent the whole day at track today driving the M06 in preparation for the TCS race in two weeks.

There was an M05 there as well from one of the expert drivers at track.. so we drove and practiced together the whole day.

He was running a Hobby Wing 25.5 versus my Reedy spec 21.5 fixed timing. He had not yet purchased his new spec motor for TCS and the interesting part was.. he had more top speed. So when I say this New Reedy spec motor is slow.. I’m not joking!!!

I started the day with the goal of throwing my tried true set up out the window and testing something different. in preparation, I already swapped out the 1°rear up rights and installed the 2° uprights reversed, virtually giving me 0° toe. Once on the track, this set up proved to make the car very unstable. The CRC black carpet was pulling my car in all sorts of direction.

Next I tried softer spring switching from blue to yellow.. still no improvement. Car was still un drivable. Next I tried loosening the diff and no luck there either.

i suspected that the 0° degree would not work but before changing I consulted our top F1 driver and he advised me to change to 1°.

So I swapped out the hubs and the car made a 180° change for the better. It was still a little nervous but once the tyres warmed up, it became consistent. Next change, I went back to blue springs and car became more planted. Last I tightened diff as I could here it diffing out in turns and now the 06 started to turn Lapps in mid 19s.

At at this time my friend hit the track with the 05 and we did mock races together. What I found interesting was that my car was quicker into turns, out of turns and in the infield. He would catch me on the straight with his 25.5. This made me confident that with a field filled with Reedy 21.5 FT, I would be super competitive.

The car definitely felt more free with the 1° rear toe. Rear tyres were no longer scrubbing speed on the straight. Just this motor is slow.. so hard to gauge without someone at the track with the same motor.

With 1º rear toe, I also tested car with R spec brass axle weight. Car became incredibly stable and predictable. I hope by Wednesday someone else shows up with track with the new spec motor so I can have a better idea.

All in all.. super happy with results.. reversed hubs are definitely working
Thank you Raman for your test Infos on the M06! I´ve also lying around the newer 1,0° rear hubs, seems I have to test them in reverse, too!
That sounds very good, how yours is runniing already! Where did you use the blue spring? Front? or both axles?
Hope you still used the Alfa Shell.
Good luck for the upcoming race,
Matthias
Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Tag Matthias

Alfa of course. From Tamiyas current selection the only other body I would run is the Alpine.

Im not running the Miata lol.. sorry Joel im a snob haha

blue springs in rear 600 cst and red in front 550 cst

This continues to work for me since I run on high grip carpet and perhaps my driving style.

Im running -1,5 camber rear and -0,5 camber in front

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.