R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-18-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Cool Life Changing Decisions !!

Hey all, i have a birthday coming up and im trying to decide what to ask for along with money for a car in my near future. Well, Ive always used sport packs, but i recently changed them to sideby side for my xxx-s G+. Now im wondering if i should get a better charger than my dynamite prophet plus to take care of a matched set im getting. im wondering whether to ask for a
1)setup board
2)better charger
3)hop ups
I also have a nitro on-road, so i can't be buying a lathe, charger, and tons of matched packs, i just want to know the most important thing to get next, besides practice, practice, and more practice. Thanks
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:32 PM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Re: Life Changing Decisions !!

Quote:
Originally posted by bballer
Hey all, i have a birthday coming up and im trying to decide what to ask for along with money for a car in my near future. Well, Ive always used sport packs, but i recently changed them to sideby side for my xxx-s G+. Now im wondering if i should get a better charger than my dynamite prophet plus to take care of a matched set im getting. im wondering whether to ask for a
1)setup board
2)better charger
3)hop ups
I also have a nitro on-road, so i can't be buying a lathe, charger, and tons of matched packs, i just want to know the most important thing to get next, besides practice, practice, and more practice. Thanks
Charger.... A good charger will make your batteries last longer and give better performance. 3 match packs for races and a couple of "practice" packs for fun....
Hop ups next
Setup board last.....
RC Tech member #11
Aussie Rules Footy, Brisbane LIONS!!
[url]http://www.pitter-pat.com/[/url] for pet care needs in Northern Virginia
Nova F1 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Default Re: Re: Life Changing Decisions !!

Quote:
Originally posted by Nova F1 Racer
Charger.... A good charger will make your batteries last longer and give better performance. 3 match packs for races and a couple of "practice" packs for fun....
Hop ups next
Setup board last.....
Really?? i thought setup board. if a charger, i would need one for around 100 used, so the ce turbos are out. Recommendations??? I was looking at the duratrax digital one, but have heard bad and good about it. Thanks
Old 06-18-2004, 01:08 PM   #4
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to handyrandyrc Send a message via AIM to handyrandyrc

I'm using the Piranha digital and it works wonderfully -- charged everything I've thrown at it -- from 6 cell 3300 packs to my 8-cell packs for my Makita cordless drill. Even charged a 3-cell cordless telephone battery just to see if it could do it.

Wonderful product.
handyrandyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
Tech Regular

what brand charger is the pirahna??
Old 06-18-2004, 01:39 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rcguy2477

Look at the quasar pro's. I am now seeing them often for 115 or under on different bb's, some are even new!
greddy t04b, megasquirt ecu, PlX wideband, 12x28x3 fmic, 50mm hks clone wg, ssqv bov, Safc, ss oil lines, walbro fuel pump, tubo intake manifolds, ssac exhaust manifold, 3" dp, 550cc primary/720cc secondary injectors, etc.
rcguy2477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
Tech Master

BUY A LATHE...You'll be sorry if you don't
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 03:12 PM   #8
Tech Master

Default Re: Life Changing Decisions !!

Quote:
1)setup board
2)better charger
3)hop ups
I also have a nitro on-road, so i can't be buying a lathe , charger, and tons of matched packs, i just want to know the most important thing to get next, besides practice, practice, and more practice. Thanks
He can't buy a lathe.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 03:28 PM   #9
Tech Regular

I can get my comms cut for 3.00, and i have access to a tire truer, so i should be set there.
Old 06-18-2004, 03:33 PM   #10
Tech Regular

So is it for sure more important to get a quality charger rather than a set-up system?? I can only use my charger for electric, but i can use the setup system for both. Basically what im saying, if i get a discharger seperate, will my prophet plus be enough to get me by for a while??
Old 06-18-2004, 03:56 PM   #11
Tech Master

Quote:
I can get my comms cut for 3.00, and i have access to a tire truer, so i should be set there.
Thats cool then
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 04:07 PM   #12
Tech Regular

My main problem is not knowing battery maintenance, but i assume that as long as i discharge my cells and don't let them get too hot, that is basically all i need to do. charging at only 4 amps with my charger now won't give me the most punch, but it wont be that noticable or hurt my batts, right? If i can get by with the stuff i have now ill be fine i guess, i just realized i am probably going to just get a setup system (sorry for going against your advice nova f1 racer) Later
Old 06-18-2004, 04:33 PM   #13
J-P
Tech Regular

hey,

again i say a charger, when i got my good charger i found that i got more out of my cells!! i use the lrp comp, you co use a flat piece of glass and a camber gauge to set up your car, i know
theres a bit more to setting up abou, but im just saying that a charger is what help me improve a bit

hope this helps

J-P
J-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 04:41 PM   #14
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by J-P
hey,

again i say a charger, when i got my good charger i found that i got more out of my cells!! i use the lrp comp, you co use a flat piece of glass and a camber gauge to set up your car, i know
theres a bit more to setting up abou, but im just saying that a charger is what help me improve a bit

hope this helps

J-P
it depends were you are lacking in performance.
could be set-up so a setup board may help,it could be motors so the obviouse choice is peak,or if batterys are letting you down a charger would be best.
charger wise the LRP pulsar competion is a great charger.
all it needs is 30amp discharge current and a rpm checker and it would be one of the best chargers ever.
please pulsar 2 have these features.
this would mean youd have a motor checker,a discharge that you can compare results to other 30 discharged packs and one of the best chargers ever.
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 06:06 PM   #15
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

id say get a charger....setup boards arent that imporant i mean theres altewrnatives for a hudy where u can get cheap.

i usually get the most expensive stuff from my want to get list when someones paying for it, the rest i save up for
rc_square24 is online now   Reply With Quote