Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Understanding spools... >

Understanding spools...

Understanding spools...

Old 06-01-2004, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Understanding spools...

Hey all...Just your local friendly KGB Assassin here. I have a question.

Spools...I'm trying to understand just how they help and/or can hurt your setup...also...what conditions would they be helpful in and when can they hurt. I've been racing for years now and have just really gotten back into TC stock/mod classes lately.

I race on an outdoor, poor surface track. (rocky, deteriorating asphalt) and use both front and rear diffs. However I had a spare IRS diff that was just lying around so I cleaned and stripped everything in it and filled it with 5-min epoxy and now I have a spool.

When / how should i use it? I understand when 1-ways should be used (groomed, fast open tracks) but what about the spool?

Thanks in advance for the replys.

-Soviet
Old 06-01-2004, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Soviet

I'm in a similar situation having never used one....but as i understand it.......

You would use a spool on a technical track where lots of breaking into tight corners is needed as as you could guess the spool gives tremendouse breaking power.

Where you loose is that your turning circle will be greater as your car will push as a downside of running the spool and it's harder to get your car rotating.(people seem to alter there rear roll center to help with this)

I'd guess you really want to speak to someone like linger or maybe speedtech on the alex cuda thread that has done some running with a spool in !!
Old 06-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Some people like spools and some dont,with a spool you will have "push" off power,so if your track is very tight I would not use one,but if your track has a few hairpins and the rest of the track is for the most part flowing with wide turns a spool will work.(you can make a spool or a oneway work anywhere)I'm not a big fan of spools(it's very hard on your outdrives and cvd's)if you want to see how a spool will work(well you'll get a general idea)tighten your front diff..real tight.The only time I ever would run a spool is if they(track I'm racing at)makes me.If a spool works a oneway works better for me,but most racers dont like using a oneway.(esp.on carpet.. )all you need to remember, push in,pulls out..
Old 06-01-2004, 01:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I agree with xxxkat 100%. I just ran with the spool at Reedy because it's required but I definitely like the one-way for overall speed better. The spool is cool just for mandated no one-way racing which I wouldn't mind becoming the norm but until then it's the one way on asphalt for overall lower lap times for me.
Old 06-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by MikeR
I agree with xxxkat 100%. I just ran with the spool at Reedy because it's required but I definitely like the one-way for overall speed better. The spool is cool just for mandated no one-way racing which I wouldn't mind becoming the norm but until then it's the one way on asphalt for overall lower lap times for me.

Wait why not just use a diff ???

I don't understand i thought there was a better reason than if i can't use a 1-way a spool it is

HELP
Old 06-01-2004, 02:13 PM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

A spool will give you more on power steering and faster acceleration, compared to a diff.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

And as Mo said more acceleration,so in some cases it's better than running a diff.,But Mo I know you guys run oneways at speedworld.. I would try running a spool but you will need some time to get used to how it works.I had a hard time trying to get use to a spool,all I have really ever run is a oneway and driving a spool (IMHO)is way different in terms of turn in points,lines through corners,when and where to get back on the throttle,but I would at least try it,It might work great for you.
Old 06-01-2004, 03:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Spools

ok ... I hate one ways .. I have never been able to get used to them.... what a spool does (atleas for my driving style ) is let me drive in harder than with a diff ... jam the brakes to break he rear end loose and then pull out like what a one wy would ... basically .. its like one guy told me when I first tried one ... think of a one way car set up wih a little push but monster brakes for that hot brake late drive into the corners .... yes they are terrors on your cvd's .. I wouldnt consider running a spool without IRS big dawg cvdz up front wih the IRS plastic / metal drive pins... they are the only ones that I have found to be able to stand up to the spool .... but again ... thats just with my hard driving style ... also I have no fear with an electric car .. now with a ntro car .. I dunno .... maybe not such a good idea ... I am still learning the nitro stuff ....

have fun racing

E
Old 06-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

If I understand it correctly, the spool will give you less initial turn-in/steering, but will allow you to pull harder, i.e. get on the gas earlier in the turn, through the middle and exit of the turn. Also, you still have some semblence of brakes with a spool.

Rob
Old 06-01-2004, 04:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Spools are deadly for CVD's. Even on a track that is as easy on cars as Tamiya, guys in mod were rebuilding their CVD's EVERY run this past week @ the Reedy Race. Mike is right. Oneway will yeild lower laptimes if you can drive one and IMO make you a better driver. My spool is coming out tonight! It is nice having brakes in a big race like that where you're running absolutly punched all the time. I like the idea of no oneways at big events because it creates some awesome racing. But for club racing and such, I like running a oneway much better.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Why are/would one-ways be banned at 'large' events???
Old 06-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Soviet
Why are/would one-ways be banned at 'large' events???
I would think because the cars are supposed to be 4WD at all times, with a one-way, when your coasting off power, thats technically 2WD. Just an guess.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

No oneways creates some very exciting racing because you now have the best drivers in the world out braking eachother into corners and trying some bold and daring moves that you'd never see at a race where they're running oneways. Personally I think anywhere there's going to be a lot of spectators and video being shot where people are going to see racing like this should have the no oneway rule. It's a little hard to understand until you're there and watch these guys throw themselves into the corners like they do at this race. As a driver it can be a little frustrating because you have to setup the car and you're driving style differently and you know you could be faster with a oneway. But it's exciting none the less.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Tech Elite

Front oneway forever, I dislike running dual diff's so a spool up front would be horrible.

Q? when you change to a spool what would you do to a standard dual diff setup? increase toe-out? Get rid of front swaybar?...
Old 06-01-2004, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

WOW!!! Good thread! Keep the good info coming in...I'm doing my best impresson of a sponge and soaking it all in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.