R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-31-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default LIPO CHARGING

Hi guys

I want to ask a simple question how many of you use the storage function on your chargers?
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
Hi guys

I want to ask a simple question how many of you use the storage function on your chargers?
I do the day after a racemeet.
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've killed good lipo packs with kindness. Now I just take them out of the car after the main and store them as is (usually around 7.8 volts).
Old 09-01-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
Tech Elite

never used it. usually after a race meet the batteries are around 7.6 - 7.8v.
also when you finished for the day you want to pack up rather than sit and wait for batteries to discharge etc.
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 4.5 V2, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
TOP Racing Scythe, SP 13.5, Hobbywing Xerun 120SD 2.0
razzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:48 AM   #5
Tech Adept

I do, then they go in the fridge. Supposed to stop internal resistance for going up.
YZFAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:51 AM   #6
Tech Elite

The reason why im asking is that i have been doing testing now for about 4 months with good named lipos and found the following

1.Ran the batterys then left the battery's to sit for a couple of days and found them to balloon .

2 The ran the battery's again ran them to safety point and then charged them full found that the battery ballooned after a couple of days .

3.Then i ran the chargers storage feature and i mean a good quality charger like a hyperion not junk and my battery sat there for 4 weeks without no ballooning .

also did another test without the storage feature and the results are as below

4.I also charged them up to full capacity again on another day and discharged them 1000mah from there spec 5000mah and then left them for 4 days no balloon .

5.The same battery's that didnt balloon i used them again as of point 1 and 2 above and found them to balloon after a few days .

so just passing on some little info about my little tests .

i hope it can help some people out there to understand
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
I do the day after a racemeet.
This really. Most of the time they are close to the right voltage after a race (for my 13.5T car anyway)
Will27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:48 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
The reason why im asking is that i have been doing testing now for about 4 months with good named lipos and found the following

1.Ran the batterys then left the battery's to sit for a couple of days and found them to balloon .

2 The ran the battery's again ran them to safety point and then charged them full found that the battery ballooned after a couple of days .

3.Then i ran the chargers storage feature and i mean a good quality charger like a hyperion not junk and my battery sat there for 4 weeks without no ballooning .

also did another test without the storage feature and the results are as below

4.I also charged them up to full capacity again on another day and discharged them 1000mah from there spec 5000mah and then left them for 4 days no balloon .

5.The same battery's that didnt balloon i used them again as of point 1 and 2 above and found them to balloon after a few days .

so just passing on some little info about my little tests .

i hope it can help some people out there to understand

Just to clarify.

Storage without some amount of charging first will likely lead to ballooning. Storage charge prevents ballooning. Full-charge followed with ~20% discharge also prevents bloating.

Have you tried full-charge prior to storage? What are the effects?

Thanks for sharing your findings.
rough512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough512 View Post
Just to clarify.

Storage without some amount of charging first will likely lead to ballooning. Storage charge prevents ballooning. Full-charge followed with ~20% discharge also prevents bloating.

best storaging for a lipo is 3v~3.5v per cell as 3.6v is at max capacity that should not stored for long time.
The actual reason ballooning is not cause of capacity, but because of plating on lithium that will evantualy turn into helium gas,
3.5v would be good storage.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Hi, cobraracing... This is my experience on lipo batt, i ve been into lipo for about 2 years now, start from rc heli and now into rc car,

This is a good tips for lipo storage

1.the good lipo storage is at 3.75 each cells.
2. If u did a full charge storage, keep ur lipo in a freezer, got this tips from kong power website, am not sure what are the effects but it works.
3. charge ur lipo at half C, eg: 5000 mah at 2.5a or lower, soo u will have get 80 or 100 recycle before it lossing power.
4. Time .... 5 min each running time or 6 max time.
5. Do not over gear on motor... Less load will make ur lipo performance work better...in mod ie low turn brushless, i cant actually know either u got a proper fdr, there for keep on checking temp on motor, faster and lower temp thats mean u r good, faster higher temp thats mean need geared down ur fdr.
Duckster Brunei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #11
Tech Elite

I use it if I have charged the batteries but been unable to make the race meeting. Or if I know I have taken a lot out of the packs (for example, running two races on one pack at the end of the night).

Otherwise, I leave the cells alone - my racing is taking around 1200mAh out of the pack, which in my opinion is enough to mean it is safe to store.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #12
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If I am storing my lipos at full charge I put them in the fridge too.. if I am storing them at full charge for longer then a day.. slows down the chemical process.. If I am not going to us them in about a week or so put them back down to 3.8V per cell..

Gotto make sure u let the cells get back up to temp before using them after having them in the fridge..

This has worked for me.. for planes helis and now do the same for cars..

Cheers
warnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
Tech Master

In my experience I have been running Li-Ion and Lipo since they were first intorduced for Heli's and planes provided the battery doesn't go flat it doesn't really matter.

I generally leave them after use, then if I haven't used them after a few weeks I do a full recharge.

I have never had a pack ballon except when they were either faulty of overdischarged. The last pack which failed was over 3 years ago.

The issue with fully charging the battery is when they warm up ie hot day there voltage increase and can go beyond there safe limits.

In the warmer months I keep them in the fridge but otherwise regular storage is fine. (Keeping the batts cold helps reduce self discharge)

I have been running the same Lipo in my TC for over 18 months now without issue and I have 3 year old packs I use in my heli without issue, all get the same treament and durring winter they often set without use for 3 months.

Last edited by frozenpod; 09-01-2010 at 05:39 PM.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rough512 View Post
Just to clarify.

I tested 10 lifep04's fully charged and left around for 4 days all ten ballooned i also tested 3 lipos fully charged an left 4 a week but was inspecting them everyday and on the second day they ballooned .

I also fully charged the batterys and then immedialty used the storage function on the charger and check on the batterys everyday 2 a day for over a week with no evidence of ballooning so all was good .

see some packs do discharge at the appropriate voltage safe haven but alot of the other less quality cells do drop below not all cells are the same from different battery companies .

im doing some more testing so ill keep you all informed
Old 09-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
Tech Master

Quote:
I tested 10 lifep04's fully charged and left around for 4 days all ten ballooned i also tested 3 lipos fully charged an left 4 a week but was inspecting them everyday and on the second day they ballooned .

I also fully charged the batterys and then immedialty used the storage function on the charger and check on the batterys everyday 2 a day for over a week with no evidence of ballooning so all was good .

see some packs do discharge at the appropriate voltage safe haven but alot of the other less quality cells do drop below not all cells are the same from different battery companies .

im doing some more testing so ill keep you all informed
Sounds to me like the cells are faulty regarding the balloning after 2 days with charge in them, I would return them for a refund.

PS what is the ambient temps they are stored in.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote