R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to g12314 Send a message via Yahoo to g12314

Charge, Race, Place Car in Bag.

Remove car from bag (sometimes 1 week, sometimes 1 month), Charge, Race.

Have done this for all my packs, various manufacturers, never a single problem. If you are getting packs to balloon, I would question the quality of the cell they are using. Typical 6 minute race for 17.5 or 13.5 will get a good 5000mAH pack to about 50% SOC, so I see no need to do anything fancy for storage. If your running MOD, then sure, probably need to put some charge back in.

Jimmy
Old 09-01-2010, 10:58 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by g12314 View Post
Charge, Race, Place Car in Bag.

Remove car from bag (sometimes 1 week, sometimes 1 month), Charge, Race.

Have done this for all my packs, various manufacturers, never a single problem. If you are getting packs to balloon, I would question the quality of the cell they are using. Typical 6 minute race for 17.5 or 13.5 will get a good 5000mAH pack to about 50% SOC, so I see no need to do anything fancy for storage. If your running MOD, then sure, probably need to put some charge back in.

Jimmy
There is nothing wrong with the cells the tests we conducted was to prove a point and most of the advice was also given by a university which study battery tech chemical engineering im sure they know better than what we do right?

battery's no matter what brand if not treated in there proper manner and thats being discharged to a certain point will always bloat no matter what .The storage funtion on chargers is there for a reason and the reason is many years of testing has been done to come up with it not because we just guess that the battery has 85% charge and its good to store .you know what im getting at .These are proven theories and test procedures and im sure these guys who invented the chemistry would know more than what we know .

lets keep the info coming its good to learn from everyone i will pass on all the info so it can studied by the uni .
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
COBRARACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to g12314 Send a message via Yahoo to g12314

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRARACING View Post
There is nothing wrong with the cells the tests we conducted was to prove a point and most of the advice was also given by a university which study battery tech chemical engineering im sure they know better than what we do right?
Sorry, but if you were charging the cells at 1C and discharging them similar to a typical 17.5 / 13.5 motor use profile and getting them to balloon then something is indeed wrong with the quality of the cells. MOD is a different story, so use case needs to be clarified. I'd be interested to see the details for the experiment to better understand why they would balloon. As far as Universities knowing more, based on my experience that is not always the case (those that know my background will understand, I will not mix work with fun here).

Quote:
battery's no matter what brand if not treated in there proper manner and thats being discharged to a certain point will always bloat no matter what .
Agreed.

Quote:
The storage funtion on chargers is there for a reason and the reason is many years of testing has been done to come up with it not because we just guess that the battery has 85% charge and its good to store .you know what im getting at .
Marketing hype is my conclusion on such features, as they are not required if you dont abuse the packs. I wouldnt spend extra money on a charger just to have such a feature.

Quote:
These are proven theories and test procedures and im sure these guys who invented the chemistry would know more than what we know .

lets keep the info coming its good to learn from everyone i will pass on all the info so it can studied by the uni .
Again, would be great to share the experiment details and the brand of cells. That would be a real benefit to all.

Jimmy
Old 09-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

battery's no matter what brand if not treated in there proper manner and thats being discharged to a certain point will always bloat no matter what .The storage funtion on chargers is there for a reason and the reason is many years of testing has been done to come up with it not because we just guess that the battery has 85% charge and its good to store .you know what im getting at .These are proven theories and test procedures and im sure these guys who invented the chemistry would know more than what we know .

Well unless the cells are fully charged when cold then exposed to a warmer ambient temperature which leads to voltage rise and then failure there will not be a problem.

This is the reason for not fully charging the cells for storage charging as this can lead to overvoltage situation.

But if it was soo bad and kills all cells straight away then why hasn't my laptop, mobile, digital camera batteries balloned when I fully charged them...
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #20
Tech Addict

I have never used Storage Charge on my LiPo. I just charge 'em, use 'em and leave 'em. The last time I used my TC LiPo, was in May. I charged it, ran 2 heats and then left it. I just checked - no balooning.
Nilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

I agree with most guys here, I arrive at the track, set up my gear and start charging my batteries, pull them off the charger run my heats/main and toss them in the bag until the next race.... no storage charging and all my batteries are still going strong after 12+ months of my abusive driving.
Cyclone Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:06 PM   #22
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
But if it was soo bad and kills all cells straight away then why hasn't my laptop, mobile, digital camera batteries balloned when I fully charged them...
Last I checked, none of these use LiPo batteries(dont think they want cell phones exploding). They use Li-Ion
Will27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will27 View Post
Last I checked, none of these use LiPo batteries(dont think they want cell phones exploding). They use Li-Ion
My current phone and my last phone both use LiPos.

The latest laptop batteries also supposedly use Lipos.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #24
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
My current phone and my last phone both use LiPos.

The latest laptop batteries also supposedly use Lipos.
Hmm ok. I stand corrected. Interesting. They are probably less volatile than rc batteries since they don't need to deliver as much power I guess. My phone is too old
Will27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:02 PM   #25
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I charge and run my lipo as I please with no problems.

You aint messin wit my dougie..
JKL1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will27 View Post
Hmm ok. I stand corrected. Interesting. They are probably less volatile than rc batteries since they don't need to deliver as much power I guess. My phone is too old
Answer is they dont draw the amount of current that rc cars do .phone and laptop current are very low very very low
4th Floor, 3rd Building, KeLunTe Industrial Park, ShangLiLang, BuLan Road, LongGang District, ShenZhen, China
Old 09-04-2010, 02:18 AM   #27
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I store them using that setting when im not running them with in a week. Kinda like the feeling that they are safe that way
Chase1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:04 AM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Answer is they dont draw the amount of current that rc cars do .phone and laptop current are very low very very low
But the chemistry is the same.

I use Lipo in cars, planes helis and long distance bike riding powered LED lights.

The bike riding packs get used about 1-2 times a month, I have a few packs and one pack might go 3 months without use. These are 5 cell 5000mAh 20 C packs.

I fully charge them after use and let them sit, I will admit storage charge isn't a bad idea but if the packs puff after 2 days at rest when fully charged they are faulty.
Old 09-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Good info guys keep it coming this way we all leanr something new from other peoples experiences .
Old 09-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Here is a good write up about bat tech

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-12.htm