R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-01-2010, 02:21 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Run 'em 'till you run outta parts. Any TC is capable of Mid-pack performance at most club races as long as you're driving is up to it. When you can't find anymore parts, upgrade to something newer.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:24 AM   #17
Tech Addict

Up until recently I was running a xxx-s in VTA at a relatively competitive track. On open layouts with moderate traction I didn't feel like I was loosing much to the newer cars. I could usually finish in the top 4 out of a field of almost 20.

However, when the traction came up at large races the higher CG made traction rolling a limit to the performance that I could achieve. On these layouts I would loose 3/10th to the newer designs.

If you have mid pack or lower driving skills, it really doesn't matter. But if you start pulling the majority of your laps within a tenth or two and run fast and consistent a newer chassis can make you go from 4rd or so to TQ and winner.

When I switched to a Type R I picked up a tenth on low traction open layouts and 4 tenths on high traction technical layouts.

My guess is that you would see the same differences between other manufacturers tub chassis touring cars and newer plate cars. The Tamiya TA05 being an exception. The light weight version keeps the cg pretty low and its competitive with the plate cars.

Low CG and Polar Moments matter on high traction tight layouts.

IF your driving is consistent enough that tenths of a second matters, you will appreciate a newer design.
IF you are just learning to stay on the line and off the boards, give the old design a shot. Plus you will get more credit when you do well. Its fun having people ask you what you are running when you blow by them and answering with a car almost as old as they are.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 AM   #18
Tech Regular

I ran my XXXS at this years UK Nationals in the wet!
JRXS_chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:07 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons56 View Post
Up until recently I was running a xxx-s in VTA at a relatively competitive track. On open layouts with moderate traction I didn't feel like I was loosing much to the newer cars. I could usually finish in the top 4 out of a field of almost 20.

However, when the traction came up at large races the higher CG made traction rolling a limit to the performance that I could achieve. On these layouts I would loose 3/10th to the newer designs.

If you have mid pack or lower driving skills, it really doesn't matter. But if you start pulling the majority of your laps within a tenth or two and run fast and consistent a newer chassis can make you go from 4rd or so to TQ and winner.

When I switched to a Type R I picked up a tenth on low traction open layouts and 4 tenths on high traction technical layouts.

My guess is that you would see the same differences between other manufacturers tub chassis touring cars and newer plate cars. The Tamiya TA05 being an exception. The light weight version keeps the cg pretty low and its competitive with the plate cars.

Low CG and Polar Moments matter on high traction tight layouts.

IF your driving is consistent enough that tenths of a second matters, you will appreciate a newer design.
IF you are just learning to stay on the line and off the boards, give the old design a shot. Plus you will get more credit when you do well. Its fun having people ask you what you are running when you blow by them and answering with a car almost as old as they are.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm still just trying to stay off the boards and I have TONS of street weapon parts as well as a place where i have my belts manufactured since no one can seem to get rears. I dont hold out though. I help other street weapon people when i can. I'm gonna keep what I got and put a nice Speed Passion Cirtix setup in it. Never tried brushless. Hopefully it eliminates my frequent motor maintanance problems. It seems right when I get my driving up to snuff, the motor starts to go.
Need belts or parts? I can help.
SWs, RWs, XX-4s, XXX-S
jhwnissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:22 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRXS_chris View Post
I ran my XXXS at this years UK Nationals in the wet!
Wow.

Perfect environment for the xxx-s!

If we ran in the wet here I would have kept mine.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 AM   #21
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwnissan View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I'm still just trying to stay off the boards and I have TONS of street weapon parts as well as a place where i have my belts manufactured since no one can seem to get rears. I dont hold out though. I help other street weapon people when i can. I'm gonna keep what I got and put a nice Speed Passion Cirtix setup in it. Never tried brushless. Hopefully it eliminates my frequent motor maintanance problems. It seems right when I get my driving up to snuff, the motor starts to go.
You will LOVE brushless.

Between Brushless and Lipo those are the things that brought me back into racing with two young children at home.

No more hours a week on the com lathe and battery testing/ constant replacement.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Mike Collins ran old Pro 2 and Pro 3 cars getting ready for the HPI Challenge a season ago. His laptimes were about the same as the newer chassis... I think he went to a TC5 for a little then went back to the TC 3 because it was still faster.....
Mike Pulfer is my HERO....
scootr117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr117 View Post
Mike Collins ran old Pro 2 and Pro 3 cars getting ready for the HPI Challenge a season ago. His laptimes were about the same as the newer chassis... I think he went to a TC5 for a little then went back to the TC 3 because it was still faster.....
That's amazing.. I remember when I was a kid (I'm 24 now), everyone always commented on the Street Weapon's handling prowess. It does handle great, it's just built like a tank compared to recent plate chassis. I can get it to turn and that's what keeps me wanting to continue using it.
SWs, RWs, XX-4s, XXX-S
Old 09-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhwnissan View Post
I remember when I was a kid (I'm 24 now)
You're still a kid!

You'll know what I'm talking about when you hit 50
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
You're still a kid!

I may still be a kid, but I'm trying to make up for lost time not doing as much rc as I would have liked when I was younger. Oh the priorities... how they got in the way. haha
SWs, RWs, XX-4s, XXX-S
Old 09-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #26
Tech Master

I am still running a FT TC4, great car with carbon fiber chassi it is very similar to modern day cars and drives very well.

The only issues with the car is weight and it is hard to work on, pulling the diffs out ect is a pita.

The lastest weight specs (just introduced locally) I cannot reach, dispite everything already being built for reduced weight and because of this I am now looking to update to a new chassi.

Until the latest weight spec I was able to finish first and second at club days with some very good competition who are A main drivers.

I have not seen a new car that really grabs my attention except for the yet to be released shaft drive car (cant recal the name) with the very low spring/damper units carbon fiber arms.

If my car cant keep up with the new weight specs I will buy a new car on my list that I will look further into are TOP, Mi4LP, Yok and HB.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
You're still a kid!

+1
John Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

if you have an older car but still needs to improve on driving because you need practice, I say stick with what you got. If you are confident in your driving abilities and are going strictly for spec, stock or mod class, you're better off getting a nice expensive car so that you can tweak and tune it to your driving style. You need to drive that car and know the in and outs of that car so that you can make educated guess when you race on different tracks with different road conditions. Some tracks have more grip and while some are wide open in which using a spool is key to being 1st place A-Main. It took me almost a whole year just to feel comfortable with my car and the different setup. You have roughly 3 yrs to play with the car till something new comes out...and it's not necessarily for the better. If you run VTA, cars like the tc3 is still a good car.
N2Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:27 AM   #29
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post

I have not seen a new car that really grabs my attention except for the yet to be released shaft drive car (cant recal the name) with the very low spring/damper units carbon fiber arms.
Are you thinking of the Awesomatix? I've not heard anything about that car for a while now...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:38 PM   #30
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Racing (and winning) in VTA with a Kawada SV-10 Alcyon - which was released in 1998. The class isn't as competitive as it was this past winter, but the car runs great on our carpet track.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...0/ai_n8814319/

Lots of option parts and parts gathered from other cars (notably the Photon and Tamiya 416).

Saddle Pack LiPo and proud of it!

The VTA Photon! (Inactive - back to the Kawada!)
http://vtaphoton.blogspot.com/
Thirtybird is offline   Reply With Quote