R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-15-2004, 02:35 PM   #16
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Hey Bill... is there any way you could snap a few pics of your install for us... a picture is worth a thousand words... maybe I can see something that might be causing the problem....
Old 06-15-2004, 03:19 PM   #17
Tech Master

If you're soldering on capacitors to a Monster, you are effectively cutting the filter capability in half since the endbell already has capacitors on it. That's what the little circuit board is. You should never use external filter caps on a motor that has internal caps already. I'm not sure if that esc has an internal schotke diode, but you could try adding one. It eliminates back emf as a possible source of interferrance.

One thing to watch out for on the xxx-s is that the brush shunt and endbell tabs are not touching the chassis. I have experienced problems with that on my car and have had to bend tabs to keep them from contacting the chassis. Also, put a couple strips of electrical tape on the chassis so the battery bars do not make contact with the chassis. I'm not sure if that's what you meant when you said you taped the packs. You might also try sticking your receiver to the top of the servo rather than on the chassis itself. Again, since the chassis conducts, you can get interferrence on the receiver.

I already commented on JR in the other thread, so I won't beat a dead horse with that again.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:24 PM   #18
Tech Master

Nick, sounds like a coincedence to me. I suppose the scraping of the pin on graphite could cause some signal to be sent through the graphite, but even when the throttle is wide open, that frequency would be far to low to cause interferrance. I've had a pin scrape before like this and never had any glitching, only the scraping sound.

My advice is to ditch the JR and get a KO or Futaba radio. You might also try a Novak XXtra receiver and see if that helps. You are still using the JR syntesized radio, right? I sent in an XXtra for replacement, so I can let you borrow it if you want to try and see if that helps.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:30 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to JohnMatrix

Hey Psycho,

How you been?

I dont think it was a glitch per say, more like at that point on the track the pin caught and pulled the tire in, maybe?

who knows? but i am happy its gone and I did go over to the novak, but it did happen when i had the novak in.
JohnMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 03:32 PM   #20
Tech Addict

and i do agree on Jr, im not that happy with it, my next radio will be something different.
Old 06-15-2004, 03:57 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Just curious about the brushes on those motors. Ever checked to see how the connection was to the motor, cleaned the comm enough, or even if the brush hoods are in bad shape, bent etc..? If you get enough arcing from any one of these it can lead to massive glitching. I have also experienced the cap boards go bad after a while. Since I also have a XXX-S G+ those were all things I have looked into preventing as much as I can.
As far as the brush tabs, I haven't had a problem with glitching. I also made sure to mount the motor with any part away from the chassis (old habit) that might come in contact with the chassis. So far I haven't had any glitching. But I also use an OLD Airtronics VT2P. I have my reciever between the motor and servo, esc behind the motor.
wcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 10:09 PM   #22
Tech Addict

we just tested bill's car and oh my lord its bad.

tried everything in the book. different radio, diff receiver, diff receiver position batteries off the car pulled the motor and hit the power but it just kept getting worst.

so the only thing we think it could be is the ESC. it is the last variable.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:46 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to b4racer

Id say try taking the extra caps off of the MHP....
b4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:21 PM   #24
Tech Regular

Hey Bill and John, will one of you do all of us a favor and let us know what the problem is once you track it down? It's all about trial and error in situations like this it seems, and knowing what is wrong in your situation may come in handy for one us in the future. Good luck getting it fixed.
mwcet8k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 11:25 PM   #25
Tech Addict

oh yea no prob.

Looks like Bill and I are going up to speedworld Hobby town and RCcar this weekend so we should know if it works.

Ill also take pics of what we did and do to eliminate problems.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:02 AM   #26
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to Rockheadsguy

I've got a XXX-S and JR XS3 radio, a pretty similar setup to Bill's except for the exact servo. I've never had any glitching or interference problems (using it in at least 3 different vehicles, two of them most every week) until tonight when I put in a new QC2 speed control (I'd been running a brushless in the sedan for a while). The motor was one I'd used before with no problems. I tried most of the obvious remedies mentioned here in the time I had at the track but didn't get rid of it by the end of the night.
I have to think the speed control is the common denominator... if somebody comes up with a solution, or any more tips in general to stop glitching (which I've never had to deal with before) please let me know...

Brian
Rockheadsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:50 AM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Boy, I sure started something here.

At John Matrix's home, John came up with a brilliant idea. He carried the car about 20 yards away from me until it started glitching while still in his hands. So, it even glitches with no load. Glitches consisted of erratic steering and motor speed changes.

John thought of a few tests to try at the above indicated distance.

Motor out of chassis; battery out of chassis; receiver out of chassis. All while still connected so the car was running. Glitching continued as we went through these tests one by one.

After leaving John's home, I came back and installed a brand new QC2 (it's only money) in my problem car. No improvement.

My two fast Monster motors are turning 25,000 rpm with no load at 5V. I decided to try a slower Monster motor (23,600)...And the glitching was completely eliminated as far as I could tell up to about 50 yards away. Guess I need to stop tuning my Monsters for rpm and go for torque or something.

Will be at the Speedworld Cup this weekend. Maybe I can pass the Monster glitch issue by a couple experts and report back.

Oh, by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN MATRIX (alias NICK). He sacrificed being with dancing girls (OK, his wife) to help me on his b'day. What a guy!!!

Bill

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:11 AM   #28
Tech Master

Welp, it was the motor all along, did you guys try that motor in a different car?

Only money?! Its so hard to get money at this age. (13). Lol.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:52 AM   #29
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

XXX-S Bill- Toasted the cap boards? Have you tried removing the boards and putting on three external caps? I havn't tried a different motor yet so I'll try what you did, hope it works.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 02:44 AM   #30
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default RF Filter from Horizon Hobbies

XXX-S Bill,

Do you know or race with Mark Dawson?
He is sponsored by JR.
We had a similar problem at the Roar On-road Nats. in NC last year.
There were about 10 Losi XXX-S' with the some type of radio glitch. Every radio and speed control brand was affected.
I was one of them. I have a Airtronics radio w/ Novak speedo.
Mark called JR to inform them of the problem.
They shipped him some new RF filters that clip on your wires and keep out radio noise.
Mark let me use his during my races. It was the only thing I changed (added) to the car.
Instant problem fix.
I have run one ever since.
Check out Horizon Hobbies website.
They have them there.
I'm not sure of the stock #, but there are only 2 choices.
Clip-on and the other is a ring type.
Try that! I think that will cure it.

Doorman
Tracy Rumschlag
Akron, Ohio
[email protected]
doorman is offline   Reply With Quote