R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Default Battery Questions

After 5 years I'm getting back into the hobby. I don't remember anything and it seems like everything I remember has changed.
I'm finally purchasing a TA05v.2 kit (mainly because I had a TA05 back then and loved it) and I'm trying to figure out what batteries will work with it stock.

I'll eventually switch over to lipos with deans but I'm going to start out with the NiCd/NiMH with standard plugs to save money.

I know the 6 cell 7.2v batteries will fit but I want better..

How do I shop for a battery and know it will fit?

Do they all have to be 6 cells to fit properly? I want to get one with higher volts

or just how can I tell if it will fit or not?

-Zac
Zac_with_no_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Zak,

Welcome. Based on your questions, you really have been out of it for a while! Things have really changed since the name of the game was more volts. Now, all you need is a middle of the road Lipo and brushless motor and that thing will be way faster than it needs to be. Seriously, don't waste one penny on a nicad or nimh battery or charger. If you can only afford one lipo for now, so be it. There are Lipos out there that are rounded like an old stick pack that easily fit into the Tamiya cars. You can also fit the boxy ones if you do a little work to remove the ridge in the battery compartment. If money is tight, I would recommend a venom stick pack from Tower for like $42. You can get a good remanufactured brushless speedo from Novak for $60. A 21.5 motor will feel like a good old 27 turn brushed motor if you remember. A 17.5 will be very fast. Good used brushless motors are always being sold in the for sale section. Lots of 21.5s available because the VTA guys are dealing with a rule change that makes their 21.5s illegal. I know I didn't really answer your question but trust me, in the long run, this is the cheaper way to go.
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

TA05 version 2 takes either stick pack or side by side, they have to be six cells for either configuration.

I would recommend side by side because the battery pack sits lower and chassis is already cut out for that type of configuration.

However, keep in mind that more people are switching to LiPO battery so you might just want to buy some inexpensive sport packs (stick pack type) in the mean time. At my hobby store, we got 3300, 3600mah NiMH packs around $20.

In the good old days, we used side by side because we can build them out of matched loose cells and use battery equalizer trays to enhance life and performance on the batteries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac_with_no_K View Post
After 5 years I'm getting back into the hobby. I don't remember anything and it seems like everything I remember has changed.
I'm finally purchasing a TA05v.2 kit (mainly because I had a TA05 back then and loved it) and I'm trying to figure out what batteries will work with it stock.

I'll eventually switch over to lipos with deans but I'm going to start out with the NiCd/NiMH with standard plugs to save money.

I know the 6 cell 7.2v batteries will fit but I want better..

How do I shop for a battery and know it will fit?

Do they all have to be 6 cells to fit properly? I want to get one with higher volts

or just how can I tell if it will fit or not?

-Zac
superspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Thanks for the replys!
I will be looking for any good deals lipos for sure
Zac_with_no_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac_with_no_K View Post
Thanks for the replys!
I will be looking for any good deals lipos for sure
Lipos are definitely the way to go. Charge 'em and run 'em. That's it. No re-peaking, discharging, matching, etc. Just be sure to shut the car down IMMEDIATELY when you notice the battery starts getting weak.
PDX-Spike is offline   Reply With Quote