R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-14-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Tamiya F201 F1

Anyone running these? This is the only F1 kit I can find. F1 R/C is getting popular!
revzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:28 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

in my opinion and many outhers around here in madison wisconsin. the new F201 is a piece of crap. the previous moddle the F103 is alot better car, because it is lighter. can accelerate WAY better and can slow down quicker too, even tho it is only 2wd like Real F1 cars are.

Ps the 201 needs a 19 turn or hotter to even be able to keep up to the 103 running a Johnson or a Mabuchie silver can motor. sadly the only place you will find the 103 is ebay becasue everyone is selling them becasue they think the 201 is better till they dont have their 103 anymore and get the 201 and find out its worse and harder to work on.

the outher F1 to stay away from is the Corraly F1 car. and theres not much going for the duratrax F1 either.

here is my F103RX the only hop-up missing on it is a chasse stifiner. but i won the rubber tire class at the big event we had here last Apriland the only 2 201's that ran out of a toatle of 10 cars 7 ov witch were 103 and 1 duratrax. the 201s got last and 3rd to last the duratrax placed between them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02f1.jpg (18.3 KB, 179 views)
Owner and original purchaser of LST2#000689. RPM Arms,Sway Bar Kit, TiNi Gears,HD center skid plate, FOC and Gear swap, 420Kingpins, wing kit, body. Stuff still to do/get for 2016 season: Replace engine.
TLR22 SCT2.0 ZTW 6.5 120A SSPro ESC and Motor
Tamiya LunchBox (Project Racebox) More later
FIRE RIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 03:49 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

What makes the 201 heavier than the 103?
Old 06-14-2004, 05:14 PM   #4
Tech Regular

It is made out of heavier materials and more of them and it is also contains more moving parts AE more shocks and more drive components for the 4wd.

unlike the 103 which is made of a single piece of Carbon Fiber with a diect drive motor to wheel. and a single shock for the rear and interchangable sprins for the front suspension.

all in all the 201 has more parts and more screws to hold them together. and more components in the suspension making it a more complicated setup. i will find you a link to a pik of the 103 and the 201 without bodys.

103TL Special Edition
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rc/...103/58258.html

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rc/...201/58288.html
Owner and original purchaser of LST2#000689. RPM Arms,Sway Bar Kit, TiNi Gears,HD center skid plate, FOC and Gear swap, 420Kingpins, wing kit, body. Stuff still to do/get for 2016 season: Replace engine.

Last edited by FIRE RIDER; 06-14-2004 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:40 PM   #5
Tech Master

I somewhat agree in the sense that the car is heavier than an F103 and top speed is slower with a comparable motor, but it is no less fun to race than an F103 and much more fun than racing sedan, imo. It is an excellent car and there are tons of hopups you can get for it. It has the customary Tamiya slop that is found in all of their non-competition grade cars, but it's nothing that a few shims and o-rings won't take care of. It is one of the biggest TCS classes and we run pretty comparable laptimes to a comparable motored sedan.

I recommend the car highly. Do keep in mind that it is a pivot ball suspension design, so it is much more complicated to set up than an electric sedan. I recommend that you get a nice setup guage set from Hudy, Integy or Niftech, if you don't already have one. If you want to read other people's opinions that race the car, search back a page or so on this forum and you'll find an F201 thread. Also check out www.formula1-rc.com for tons of setup info, reviews and other info on rc F1 racing in general.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 06:53 PM   #6
Tech Regular

ya what realy pissed me off about the TCS is that i drove down to Trackside in Millwaukee Wisconsin and i had just bought my F103 from the guy who had placed in the top 5 with it 2 yeasr before or whatever time ago it was when they still raced them and they wouldnt let me race. and i had drove for over an hour. a WASTE of gas. and it pissed the hell out of me. so i got the F1 class started up at the local club and we race them indoor on carpet during the winter.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:39 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Well everyone has their own opinion. I have never driven the F103 but I do want to give it a shot. Everyone who races at my track says that you can't really use the 103 compared to the F201 as the 201 is quite a bit faster around our particular track compared to the F201. Also, if you race them together, the F201 just muscles the F103 all over the place due to the extra weight.

I really REALLY enjoy the F201 and its much more exciting to drive I THINK compared to a sedan, and just have a look at the things. They are like die cast models, IN RC!!!! Just awesome!

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 07:56 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for all your posts. I'm a big fan of R/C Racing and F1. I could only find the f201 as the only popular source for open wheel racing. I wish and hope more companies will get into the fray of producing open wheel cars. I do like the idea of complicated suspensions setups since I do have a Hudy. My F201 is still in the box and unassembled. I'd like to make it lighter and bulletproof. What parts should I purchase and/or alter the assembly process to make this a rocket?
Old 06-14-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
Tech Regular

dude the 201 is basically a sedan with a narrow chasse and there is no 4wd F1 in real life. and i dont know where you have been but the 103 is better in most of the departments. i ahve drove a 201 and it stunk next to my 103. and everyoe i know that had 201 sold them becasue they tryed mine and bought 103's and thy love them. so get one and try it at least. i only paied $50 american dollers for mine.

Last edited by FIRE RIDER; 06-14-2004 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2004, 09:29 PM   #10
Tech Master

FIRE RIDER

I'll have to disagree with you on several issues. I'm sorry that you didn't have good luck with your car. I know a couple people that weren't that excited about the car either, but that had to do more with the crappy kit tires and lower front arms when there were no other choices, than anything else. The track width is adjustable on the F201 and you can make it 190mm if you want to. It does have a considerably longer wheelbase than a sedan, which makes it a challenging car to drive. The car must be pushed hard in order to be quick. It is not a finesse car, so if you prefer a more smooth driving style, I can see how you can have trouble getting it to go quickly. I mostly race on asphalt and the F201, with 4wd, performs much better than any 2wd pan-car F1 car. I have many 2wd F1 cars and the F201 was quick straight out of the box, which is important to most racers that are considering getting a F201. I still love racing my 2wd F1 cars, but unfortunately the class is dead in my area (again) and I don't think it will be coming back. Sadly, I think this is the case in most places. Anyways, my goal is not to argue with you. The original poster asked if anyone was racing the car and you posted that it is a piece of crap, which I think a vast majority of F201 racers will strongly disagree with. I had a TC3 and couldn't get it to go fast for me, but that doesn't make it a piece of crap.

revzalot

The most important things, imo are to get good tires and the reinforced lower arms. Put some loctite on the diff screws or get the lightweight diff outdrive sets. The kit diffs tend to loosen under race conditions, so you'll want to do one of those things. If you use the kit included shock pistons, try using Mugen 3000 weight silicone diff oil (normally used in nitro car diffs.) Otherwise, Tamiya has teflon pistons available and I'd go with 3 hole piston with 50 or 60 weight oil unless the track is really bumpy, then go lower. Don't be afraid to crank in some negative camber. The high rollcenter makes quite a bit of camber necessary. I typically run a minimum of 2 degrees all around, but normally 3 or 3.5 degrees of camber up front. If you use the kit included servo saver, put a zip tie around the plastic "spring."
I hope that helps.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:19 PM   #11
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default I agree with psycho

The F201 is not a piece of crap but does need a few hop ups to make it run much better, most of Tamiya low level kits do. The biggest being tires. I race mine with a novak brushless in stock profile and it really moves.

You cannot compare the 201 to the 103 they are totally different. It's like comparing a TC3 to a 10L. I also race a pan car (CRC Pantoura) and can turn more laps than the sedans on most race days with it, foam tires though. I had a 103 and it was very fun to drive and very fast but since it has been discontinued by Tamiya I sold it since parts will eventually become hard to find. My favorite F1 is the HPI Super F1 but again it is not produced or supported anymore.

BTW I have the Tuned Chassis version of the F201.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 10:31 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the link of the 103 and 201. The 103 looks like a slimmer Micro RS4 chassis. I might just go out and find a 103 if it could be had for fifty. I do like its low cg chassis but the suspension looks limited in performance. Looks like the rear's toe cannot be adjusted. It's simple and sleek which I like. With the 201, this kit has way more parts that makes it heavy but what I like about it is the adjustability and realism of the suspension. I'm not a big fan of the 4wd but if it helps in the racetrack then I'm sold. IMO, Tamiya wanted the 201 to resemble the real F1s but made it too bulky for EP racing standards. Maybe another company or Tamiya can integrate the 103 low cg chassis with 201 suspensions adjustability and have an option to go 2 or 4wd. Best of both worlds! For now, I'll stick with the 201 and go racing!
Old 06-14-2004, 10:33 PM   #13
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Super HPI F-1 was the best in my book
Old 06-14-2004, 10:51 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Look, lets face it. If you have a 103 and you have parts then use it. If not, then don't even think about buying one because parts just aren't around much anymore, and if they are, they are bloody expensive.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2004, 11:19 PM   #15
Tech Master

newracer and ova, HPI SuperF1 is my fave too. Way more mechanical grip than the F103.

revzalot

Pan cars have a solid rear axle with a direct drive from the motor to the rear axle. There is a diff, but the pinion directly moves the spur gear. They work awesome on carpet and smooth asphalt. They are terrible on bumpy tracks (due to the low ride height) and when the track is slick or dusty. They do teach you throttle control and how to steer with bothe ends of the car. If you are interested in racing a pancar class, try 1/12 4 cell mod. You'll have just as much fun, but there are people still racing 1/12. I will never sell my F103's or HPI car, but there are not many chances to race them any more.