R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakman View Post
uh..........Stock National Champion used Tekin.................
so did you run out and buy a 008 too. just wondering.

naturally your going to get suggested to you, what ever that person as in thier car, theres probably only a handful of people to ever suggest running something that they don't.

The Tekin as been around longer and is a proven winner in the right hands, however I have had little trouble kicking its ass repeatly over the last couple of years AT MY TRACK, I've also been had my butt handed to me by an ORCA which darn near no one runs. now I'm experimenting with a Novak, I have got it just as fast as my 'Normal product' but have burnt a couple of rotors doing it. my Novalink arrived today and I expect a couple more rotors tomorrow and I will be trying Ed's setting this weekend. all in all the esc's are all getting really close and its the driver that makes a difference now. IN MY OPINION
Old 08-23-2010, 08:05 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakman View Post
uh..........Stock National Champion used Tekin.................
Well, that is cool and all, but you did not say "Stock" national champion.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:42 AM   #18
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

ya the "stock national champ" doesn't count he is inline after every MOD guy lol. That's why there is no stock World Champ......
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayL View Post
ya the "stock national champ" doesn't count he is inline after every MOD guy lol. That's why there is no stock World Champ......
Haha I agree
Old 08-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default It probably doesn't matter which one you buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyansky View Post
Im in need of a new esc for 1/10 rubber. Which would you reccomend and why? Not worried about the small price difference.

If you want to be on the pace in stock immediately, the Tekin. Lots of drivers use them so there will be quite a few you can ask

If you want to run mod, most likely Novak

If you believe Novak have the skill to design a competitive esc, and you are patient enough to find the settings which are best for you, Novak. They have taken a long time to release, and have an extremely strong reputation for doing it right

The best two companies for customer service I have ever dealt with
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:14 PM   #21
Tech Master

Tekin!

Less balancing issues and you don't have to look for someplace to put that cumbersome Novak "Trashcan" cap.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #22
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Bob Novak

Back in the late 80's and early 90's: Tekin makes very good products and so does Novak. Tekin went into a long hibernation because it had poor customer service but now they have revamp their infrastructure and methods. Novak literally monopolized the ESC until 3 or 4 years ago when Tekin came back. Novak supports races such as The Novak Race and they give free upgrades on big races not to mention the door prizes. There is one name that is synonymous with the name Novak, and that's Bob. Another example is Reedy. When someone says Reedy, the face of Mike comes into mind and bammm, you know it's serious. There is no first name or face to Tekin but I do respect for them coming back. I still have some old G10 regenerating speedos from them that needs work.
N2Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:57 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Randy Pike?

Pretty good guy that is very helpful. I have seen him at several races supporting people who use their products.
Old 08-26-2010, 02:10 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

And as far as Kinetic Vs Tekin, I think in stock they are pretty much equal. Power delivery seems to differ, but I have not driven a kinetic. It does look smoother. Although, I believe a tekin can be made to feel smooth if someone wanted that. I think most tekin owners enjoy the rush of speed that tekins make.

I think the real selling point is if you plan to run mod. Although the Tekin is good for lower turn mod motors, I see many people have thermal issues. That does not mean you can't run mod with a Tekin, I think it just mean you need to spend a little more time setting things up right so that you can "safely"

Now if Kinetic is able to run 3.5's with out hiccups and keep pace with a Tekin in 17.5, you have an ESC that might appeal to more people. But we just don't know yet. I think one guy was running mod with a Kinetic at the nats. I want to say it was an 8.5. I forget the guys name, but I do remember watching his car. I don't think he had any ESC issues.