R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Drift set up help

I have a cyclone tc that I want to convert over to a drift set up. Other than changing out the tires, what elese needs to be done in order to get this thing set up for drift?
omalley72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Tech Regular

any input?
Old 08-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Xmod_Racer Send a message via MSN to Xmod_Racer

get a pretty even shock setup front and rear, then tune to your liking with the diffs. Ball diffs are a must in my opinion. They allow you to adjust your tune to your driving style and the surface your drifting on.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Tech Master

You don't want much in the way of camber anywhere, 0 to 1 deg. Make it as stiff as possible, chassis flex is no good for drifting. Also, make your shock nice and hard with stiff springs.
Lock your rear diff up as much as possible to help the rear end break-out. I've heard of people running spools in the rear

My car just hit 88mph. I hope it comes back soon....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Thanks. As far as the front diff goes, is it better to run a standard, one way, or spool? do you want your front diffs tight as well? what about tires? I've noticed there are a variety of different tires. I was thinking of going with the yokomo with plastic rings.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Xmod_Racer Send a message via MSN to Xmod_Racer

i'd go with ball diffs all around so you can adjust it to how you drive. For tires i just use pvc.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:11 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I run a 1way front, and medium to tightish ball diff rear on both of my drift cars. The TA05 is running 93% overdrive, countersteer drifting is way more fun in my opinion. Hit up youtube and you will see what I mean. with soft springs all round and 25wt oil inside all 4 corners.

My 50/50 car is a TB EVO IV shaft drive car. I run a bit of camber on the front with a little toe out. And the rears toe in at 2deg. The shocks are the same as the CS car. I find that with the soft suspension and tuning by the pre load it is eaiser to find a sweet spot.

A oneway in the front acts like a handbrake, Full drive in forward motion and when you hit the brake the rears lock and fronts still turn free. It aids in tight stuff thats for sure.

Though this is just my experience and everyone has their own style, my mates hate driving my CS car. It all comes down to time on the wheel. Good luck dude.
aliceisadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceisadog View Post
I run a 1way front, and medium to tightish ball diff rear on both of my drift cars. The TA05 is running 93% overdrive, countersteer drifting is way more fun in my opinion. Hit up youtube and you will see what I mean. with soft springs all round and 25wt oil inside all 4 corners.

My 50/50 car is a TB EVO IV shaft drive car. I run a bit of camber on the front with a little toe out. And the rears toe in at 2deg. The shocks are the same as the CS car. I find that with the soft suspension and tuning by the pre load it is eaiser to find a sweet spot.

A oneway in the front acts like a handbrake, Full drive in forward motion and when you hit the brake the rears lock and fronts still turn free. It aids in tight stuff thats for sure.

Though this is just my experience and everyone has their own style, my mates hate driving my CS car. It all comes down to time on the wheel. Good luck dude.
^This guy know what hes talking bout!^

I have two CS Hpi rs4!

on one set up im running a one way up front, with a modded one way locked up solid in ther rear, Full time locked.. very stiff springs up front with 60wt oil, and softer springs in the rear with 45wt oil in the rear, with a 155t spur and 22pinion, with 20 7gm wieghts on my front bumper to aid in steering,wheels up front are like 4-5 neg camber and like 1.5-2.5 out back,also running a custom belt tensioner 3/4 of the way towards the back of the car! All powered buy a Velineon 3500kv brushless system with a 2s lipo, etc etc etc....

and thats just one of my cars!