R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #31
avs
Tech Master
 
avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,175
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quick View Post
At our track I'm just as fast as the Tekin And Speed passions with my Mamba Max Pro in 13.5 Novak Ballistic motor. Just think what will happen when Castle Creations release the turbo function on the Mamba
It's all about setup and driving at the end of the day.
the mamba is fast, no question. but it is also larger which might be a tight fit for some situations.
__________________
Tony Shimko
avs is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #32
Tech Addict
 
Bubblehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
the mamba is fast, no question. but it is also larger which might be a tight fit for some situations.
size matters
Bubblehead is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 03:51 PM   #33
Tech Addict
 
phisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Three Rivers, Michigan
Posts: 656
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

You can always save your money and use a mechanical speed controller. Those 3 step Tamiya's where awesome!

But seriously, I am constantly amazed at how much faster my 17.5 is with my Tekin.
__________________
www.MichiganRC.net
phisher is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #34
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,002
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Bubblehead, best esc on the market might be Hobbywing. Check out their price on the XERUN. Mine was 1/3 the price of a Tekin.

I think the 2010 TC worlds winner was using Speedpassion? And Speedpassion made by Hobbywing?
__________________
www.rccartips.com
www.f1rccars.com
www.f1rcclub.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 06:03 PM   #35
Tech Master
 
HarryLeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Hampton, VA, USA
Posts: 1,596
Send a message via AIM to HarryLeach
Default

Back in the day, I ran a Tekin SpeedStar racing stock on a banked carpet oval. Still have it, still works, can't kill it.

I was out of electric for a long time, ran a lot of nitro, and when I got back into electric, I bought a GTB combo. I was shocked at how big ESC's had become, but I saw brushless as the answer to why I got out of electric in the first place [comm cutting, brush maintenance and break-in voodoo], so I made it work. At the time, I knew Tekin was back in the game, but sensorless made for some very "interesting" race starts that I witnessed.

When the RS came out, I had to have it, and got it almost immediately. Small footprint, free updates, cool operation, awesome CS, and did I mention SMALL footprint?

Best purchase I've ever made in RC, hands down. Seen lots of updates for the RS, always getting faster, and now getting faster AND even cooler running.

I've got 3 RS's in the stable now and will buy more as needed to support my full-on addiction to racing.
__________________
Privateer racing lots of stuff.
Remember kids, racing isn't fair!
HarryLeach is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #36
Tech Champion
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,524
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
I'm getting back into racing and I'm thinking of running 17.5 or 13.5. The ESC of choice at my local track is the Tekin RS Sensored and after checking the price of their combo $249.99, why should I buy something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
I wasn't aware that your signature was the end-all for figuring out who was sponsored by what. What happened to your sponsorships? Also, the only equipment I am aware that was run at the nats, was what jake ran, mark ran, and brian shook ran. And for the sizzler, why would I be observing what you were running in the first place? The only thing I know about what you ran at the sizzler, is what you said in your first reply.. that you killed the setup that I recommended, with all speedpassion stuff.

Couldn't agree more, but all those "variables" that contribute to winning the race and pulling the fastest lap times, isn't what this discussion is about. Everybody here is fully aware that driver skill, setup, tires, and electronics all contribute to winning a race, some vastly more than others.... The point of this conversation is about the esc/electronics side only. And since we are dealing with a pile of ESCs that are "mostly" the same... this discussion is about which has that 1st place spot, with the most edge. I think the Tekin does, and it does it at a hell of a price point, with the best support to boot.

Your first reply about "killing the killer setup" seemed to insinsuate that you were running a superior ESC/Motor setup. I was simply pointing out the fact that A) yes you won B) you won because of your driving skill/experience and C) your car was NOT physically faster than the tekin cars. (acceleration / speed)


Yep. you TQed over a couple of us tekin drivers because you have decades more experience... not because your ran a better ESC. (don't take that as a knock.. i mean it as a compliment) Are we agreeing here or dissagreeing? I can't tell anymore



I agree with you 99%.. except for the fact that he was certainly using the greatest ESC. That is one of the best things ABOUT the tekin.. it may not be the latest, but it IS still the greatest.

The chassis he chose, on the other hand, is a completely different topic, and I have never seen any evidence that ANY chassis released since the 008 is actually better in terms of track performance. This again would tell us that driver skill... and perhaps what that driver is most comfortable with (i.e. an old 008), dictates how well you place.

Again.. sorry to give you a hard time. Often times I think we are actually in total agreement with eachother... we just come at it from two different angles some times
again, while arguing your point, you back up and help to prove my point. Thank you, but for the record, Jon has years more experience then I do, I have only been doing RC since 1999 so your previous statement about 15years and this one about decades of experience is not based in fact. Also at no time did I suggest that the Speedpassion equipment is superior to anything, in fact I thought I explained it quite well that there are other "variables" that are just as important, which you appear to agree with.

Our back and forth as made one thing perfectly clear, just because it wins a race, doesn't make it the best. That is what you said right.. I chose to give more credit to Marc then the equipment he chose to use. but hey, thats probably just me cause I ain't nobodies fanboy anymore, and thats what happened to the sponsors, while having great success with both the Schumacher and Speedpassion, I'm chosing to run whatever suits my fancy at the time I decide to pack the RC bag.

And once again, I would like to point out, that I did indeed, suggest to the OP that he get the Tekin and have one on the way for me
__________________
semi retired..
skypilot is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 06:21 PM   #37
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
I think the 2010 TC worlds winner was using Speedpassion? And Speedpassion made by Hobbywing?
Yes but that's mod. Mod vs spec motor with open timing are two totally different animals.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #38
Team Tekin
 
Randy_Pike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norcal
Posts: 9,702
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike
Default

And you might want to make sure it wasn't something else on the inside before posting "stuff" like that....
__________________
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." Abraham Lincoln

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #39
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Dimas, CA
Posts: 598
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

You guys have mentioned On road, but what about off road? I am getting back into RC, with my son, after about 20 yrs off. We were running brushed at first, but feel the effects of needing brushless to be competetive. Is the Tekin good for stock(17.5) 2 wheel buggy or something else?
JustMe2 is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 07:40 PM   #40
Tech Champion
 
stiltskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,368
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
I'm getting back into racing and I'm thinking of running 17.5 or 13.5. The ESC of choice at my local track is the Tekin RS Sensored and after checking the price of their combo $249.99, why should I buy something else?
Ron. I've got a Tekin RS and a KO BMC that you're welcome to try out before you buy anything. I think you'll decide on the Tekin anyway.
__________________
Tony Rumple
Team EAM // Gravity RC
stiltskin is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #41
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 4,002
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

What was inside?
__________________
www.rccartips.com
www.f1rccars.com
www.f1rcclub.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/rccartips/
http://www.facebook.com/RCCarTipsFan
rccartips is offline  
Old 08-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #42
Tech Addict
 
phisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Three Rivers, Michigan
Posts: 656
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Nobody has mentioned a Novak Kinetic. I don't have one nor do I want one. The fact that they were extremely late bringing it to market ruined it for me. I would however like to hear from someone other than the Novak guy whether it is any good and worth the long wait?
__________________
www.MichiganRC.net
phisher is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #43
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 5,310
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

There are a stack of competitive ESC's on the market right now that run more or less the same on the track. What you get is more a choice of how much work you want to do to go fast. ESC's like Tekin, GM and Novak require a lot of computer work to dial in how to use your power with the setting requiring tweaking for most tracks. Castle does the same only in a slightly more simple setup with all of these ESC's requiring a computer of some sort at the track to tune. You then have a group that don't require a laptop to go fast but still require tuning like the Hobbywing and its variants, LRP, and Teamwave. These ESC's require changing settings on the ESC directly (setting card or touch button) to tweak performance and are much simpler to setup but cannot be fine tuned to the same extent. Then there are profile ESC's like the BD that require just a single profile change for performance change enhancement. All of these ESC's can win a race with a decent driver behind them.

Of note... Most local drivers have been selling up their Tekins in favor of the hobbywing system because it has proven to be much easier to use, every bit as fast, and blows up far less motors. Others have had success with the LRP of note in 10.5 and a trend has send some very fast BD's popping up.
__________________
Blade: Andro Treiber H 79g AN
FH: Donic Bluefire M3 Max Blk
BH: Donic Bluefire M2 Max Red
Powered by Falco
Dragonfire is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 05:00 AM   #44
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Tekin, hands down. That's not to say there aren't others that can run with it because there are but look at the track record. Every time someone else makes a better speedo, Tekin comes out with new software and goes back to the top. If you bought a Tekin a few years ago, you're still on top. Anything else and you would have had to buy several since then to keep up with the Jones'.
+1 My reasons for having a Tekin exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rccartips View Post
What was inside?
ALLEGEDLY they were Tekin speedos disguised as Speed Passion Speedos, and there are some photgraphs somewhere that tend to make people believe that!

I use Tekin not because it is always the fastest, but because it is consistently there or thereabouts. New systems that come on to the market will give the Tekin a run for its money from time to time, but they all come and then go. I find the Tekin reliable, very good quality and easy to use.

I also find LRP reliable, good quality and easy to use, but I need a new speedo every time there is an update, whereas Tekin provide updates for free. I also like that Tekin support drivers who support other drivers, whereas other manufacturers support drivers just for the purpose of winning, and you can not be sure what software they are running at the big races. HTH
SlowerOne is offline  
Old 08-21-2010, 07:25 AM   #45
Tech Elite
 
pakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,077
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

If customer service is important to you, this discussion is over.
__________________
*Photon* *SC10 4x4*
RCRD
pakk is offline  
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin RX8 1/8 Scale Brushless ESC Thread sharkman Electric Off-Road 18837 11-05-2017 05:29 AM
Tekin RS ESC sensored Jeff Cuffs Electric On-Road 23359 10-02-2016 06:57 AM
Team Tekin New Speedos Drew_Cat Radio and Electronics 1521 10-06-2012 12:35 AM
LRP 10.5---Why Not?? Verndog Electric On-Road 8 11-24-2007 04:52 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:02 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net