Search

Brushless motor comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Brushless motor comparison

Guys looking for a little comparison

What is the best recommendable motor out there for 17.5 & 21.5T (1/10 onroad)

I need something that isnt going to burn out once it hits 70 degrees C but will not compromise on performance. Preferably something that will handle some pretty low FDR <4.0
Old 08-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I'm currently running a Fantom Racing 17.5 Ion2. It is based on the proven and bullet proof Duo2 motor. I'm using a Tekin RS Pro with dynamic timing and so far it has preformed wonderfully.

Last year I ran a Novak Ballastic 17.5. That motor was also bullet proof and ran very cool. I geared the hell out of my touring car and the temps never got high. The best part about the Ballastic motor is it's completely rebuildable and you can get different stators to change the wind of the motor.

From what I have read, and I'm sure this list will increase as others chime in, the good motors out there are: Novak Ballistic, Team Epic Dou2 (Fantom Ion2), Tekin Redline, and LRP. Of course you could get a Neu motor which are regarded as some of the best motors in the business but I'm not sure if they make ROAR legal winds.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The Speed Passion V3 motors are reliable, quick, and run very cool. My 17.5 V3 that gets ran at club races every week hasn't lost any top end or punch since the day I took it out of the box. They like to run a slightly higher FDR than the Trinity/EPIC motors, and they seem to really like this new generation of speed controls.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Regular

Another vote for the Trinity Epic EA duo 2 range. Also hear that the duo 1 is a good motor.

A lot of guys at our club run them and they punish the hell out of them. Seem to work with all speedos too.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:31 PM
Company Representative

Our TeamNovak Ballistic Motors are unique due to their completely rebuildable, and customizable design. With the addition of different wound stators, you can have four spec motors in one.

Take a look at our Build-A-Ballistic™ options to see just how customizable our motors are
Old 08-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Motor comparison

This is great info guys thanks. I guess the big issue that I can see is heat. Some motors (ie. Ballistic) seem to have a greater/higher preferred operating temperature which is fantastic for low fdr with higher turbo settings (not promoting it just comparing available specs). I have had some bad experiences this year with some elite brand motors giving up after a handful of races (then again the motors could've been duds who knows) just because the motor temp got above 65c.
Another thing that I am noticing is the kv output. All motors seem to be within a 100kv of one another with the exception of the redline which has roughly a 2-300kv higher output. What effect does this have in the overall comparison?
Old 08-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Company Representative

It is difficult to compare Kvs among different mfgs' motors of the same wind; we measure our Kvs unloaded. We get very few Ballistics back for service; apparently, racers can manage minor repairs without returning them to the factory. We make our service replacement items available through our distributors/dealers.

Originally Posted by emerge
This is great info guys thanks. I guess the big issue that I can see is heat. Some motors (ie. Ballistic) seem to have a greater/higher preferred operating temperature which is fantastic for low fdr with higher turbo settings (not promoting it just comparing available specs). I have had some bad experiences this year with some elite brand motors giving up after a handful of races (then again the motors could've been duds who knows) just because the motor temp got above 65c.
Another thing that I am noticing is the kv output. All motors seem to be within a 100kv of one another with the exception of the redline which has roughly a 2-300kv higher output. What effect does this have in the overall comparison?
Old 08-14-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

Check out www.bossrcmotorsports.com you won't be disappointed. Best 17.5 out there period!!!
Old 08-14-2010, 07:56 PM
Tech Addict

The following quote was taken from the Fantom Racing website. This is just one of the reasons why I have chosen to support this company by purchasing their products. Their honesty and devotion to customer service compliments the top quality products they offer.

"Some companies are offering "Team Edition (hand-selected)" and/or "Dyno Tuned" brushless motors, and charging up to $25 extra for their "special" services. You should be aware that you cannot "dyno tune" a brushless motor, other than change the timing and test the results. Most of the tuning on brushless motors is done with the speed control. Also, beware of companies offering so called "Team Edition" and/or 'hand selected" motors. Your chances of getting a top percentage motor is no better getting one from a company that offers them compared to a company that doesn't offer them, but you will pay a premium price just because they call it a "Team Edition" motor. The reason for this is because companies offering "team edition and/or hand-selected" motors sell 100% of their inventory and you can bet that the majority, if not all, are sold as "team edition" motors. Which part of their inventory is yours coming out of? Chances are the actual top percentage motors are going to their team drivers and the general public gets the rest of the so called "team edition" motors. At Fantom Racing, we DO NOT hand-select motors for anyone...not our team drivers or even the people that work here. When a motor is purchased from us, it is randomly selected, so everyone has the same chance of getting a top percentage motor. Also, we do offer the same upgrade services that these other companies offer, but at a fraction of the cost (see details above)."
Old 08-16-2010, 08:33 AM
Company Representative

All Novak motors are dynoed as part of our testing/QC procedures. Also, we include the resistance numbers an the stator label. We build all motors here in our Irvine factory; so we test our motors at every stage of our work-in-process. No one has either test equipment (custom designed) or experience in BL motor building that is superior to ours.

After all, Novak engineers originally designed these sensored, brushless motors.
Old 08-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by phisher
The following quote was taken from the Fantom Racing website. This is just one of the reasons why I have chosen to support this company by purchasing their products. Their honesty and devotion to customer service compliments the top quality products they offer.

"Some companies are offering "Team Edition (hand-selected)" and/or "Dyno Tuned" brushless motors, and charging up to $25 extra for their "special" services. You should be aware that you cannot "dyno tune" a brushless motor, other than change the timing and test the results. Most of the tuning on brushless motors is done with the speed control. Also, beware of companies offering so called "Team Edition" and/or 'hand selected" motors. Your chances of getting a top percentage motor is no better getting one from a company that offers them compared to a company that doesn't offer them, but you will pay a premium price just because they call it a "Team Edition" motor. The reason for this is because companies offering "team edition and/or hand-selected" motors sell 100% of their inventory and you can bet that the majority, if not all, are sold as "team edition" motors. Which part of their inventory is yours coming out of? Chances are the actual top percentage motors are going to their team drivers and the general public gets the rest of the so called "team edition" motors. At Fantom Racing, we DO NOT hand-select motors for anyone...not our team drivers or even the people that work here. When a motor is purchased from us, it is randomly selected, so everyone has the same chance of getting a top percentage motor. Also, we do offer the same upgrade services that these other companies offer, but at a fraction of the cost (see details above)."
thats great, but but the second to last sentence...
"so everyone has the same chance of getting a top percentage motor."
tells me that some motors are better then others, this means that a "motor" guy can check for this, sell these motors at a premiuim and dump the rest at regular cost. Yes, no, maybe..... make sense to anyone else... just saying
Old 08-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Tech Addict

Some brushless motors, from the same manufacturer, are better than others. That is true with EVERY motor manufacturer in the business. The only way this would not be true is if a manufacturer threw away all the motors that did not meat their standards. This would include those motors that tested above their standards. The business side is based on supply and demand. A company can only sell what they have. If 10% of a companies motors test above average, than only that 10% can be labeled as such and sold as such. If demand for "team spec" motors was higher than 10%, that manufacturer would either have to produce more motors with the hopes of having 10% of them test above average (basically over producing and creating a huge overhead for their company) or lie about their specs to the consumers.

I have heard that Novak does do a tremendous amount of test during the manufacturing process. This would lead me to believe that their tolerances are extremely high and the variation between motors is very low. This doesn't make them the best motor but, it does lessen the variance between motors.

My old Novak Ballistic 17.5 was a great motor. The main reason why I switched to Fantom Racing is because Fantom is located less than 10 miles away from my house and I like to support local businesses. That and they offer some fantastic products. When I purchased my last motor from Fantom, I asked Jeff if he could select a "hot" one for me. He replied quickly with "no". None-the-less, my Fantom 17.5 is one fast motor.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Champion

its really not all that difficult, I buy a case of motors, say 30 of them, I test them all, I get only 2 outstanding motors, I sell those at a premium, or save them for my "team" the rest I put on my web site at web price. same thing happens if i get 5 good ones, 9, or 11. there is no % number, no supply and demand, I get what I get and sell or save those at a premiuim.

and with that said, its just an example, I don't have motors. I just read some double speak that didn't make sense to me, thats all.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
All Novak motors are dynoed as part of our testing/QC procedures. Also, we include the resistance numbers an the stator label. We build all motors here in our Irvine factory; so we test our motors at every stage of our work-in-process. No one has either test equipment (custom designed) or experience in BL motor building that is superior to ours.

After all, Novak engineers originally designed these sensored, brushless motors.
I have ran novak brushless motors for almost 4 years now and have had no issues. They take heat and run strong.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

What about LRP's X12 brand of BL motors....I just ordered a mild mod (a 9.5)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.