R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-18-2010, 01:28 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dodo

i used the universals and had no problem on regular use, i am using it with 11.5T brushless motor and tekin RS esc (with turbo)

i secured the pins with heatshrinks instead of grub screw and well in the end i still broke the pin after 4 race weekends excluding practice runs and it was due to really hard knock on one side of the wheel.

i guess it's pretty decent IMHO and yeah it reduces the chattering, i feel my car more stable and consistent on full steering throw.
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo View Post
i used the universals and had no problem on regular use, i am using it with 11.5T brushless motor and tekin RS esc (with turbo)

i secured the pins with heatshrinks instead of grub screw and well in the end i still broke the pin after 4 race weekends excluding practice runs and it was due to really hard knock on one side of the wheel.

i guess it's pretty decent IMHO and yeah it reduces the chattering, i feel my car more stable and consistent on full steering throw.

Good times!!! I like the heat shrink idea...I might give that a shot and see how it works out.
Turillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've run these in my 416, the pins are weak, replace them with spring wire, or buy some drill bits the same dia, and cut the shank to length, toss the set screw and use the shrink deal. The only thing to watch out for is, on mine the outer coupler was very close to the opening on the c-hub and at full lock it actually rubbed a little, so you may have to trim the c-hub for clearance. On the stand it definately calmed the chatter but never did see a difference on the track over the stock setup, course never ran with lock to lock steering either. JMO
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-man View Post
Mine broke on the second pack on the track. Running 11.5T turbo. It broke on 2 places. One on the 2mm pin on the spool end, the other was the pin(1mm maybe???) on the universal, the cross joint broke too.

So far not seeing anywhere that has these replacement parts.

But while it lasted, it was good. Car really flowed through the corners especially on tight turns.

Its a pity its not that reliable.
kshobby have them in stock - the cross joint replacement parts

btw, i was using the swingshaft in my bd5, so far never break anything yet and it's eliminating the chattering/ vibration during tight cornering....