Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Anyone have problems traveling to Races ? >

Anyone have problems traveling to Races ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone have problems traveling to Races ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Anyone have problems traveling to Races ?

I just got back from the Nats, and all my bags were checked, on both flights, but they did not confiscate anything. By reading this article it looks like I was in breach of regualtions by putting 5 packs, not connected to devices in my checked bag.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...terstitialskip

Last edited by TimPotter; 08-16-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tim - Don't worry. I'll call the FAA and report you next time that happens.

The fact is that most of the aircraft screeners do no understand the rules concerning lithium based batteries. The rules themselves are too complex - especialy the "equivalent lithium" calculation. No screener is gonna whip out a calculator to find your "equivalent lithium content". Be safe and travel with all your lipos mostly discharged and stored in a lipo sack.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Some of my friends If they are racing on another state and they have to fly they usually have all Their racing gear ship to the hotel to avoid hassle on the airport when checking in your luggage And their is a high risk for airport security not to allow you take your stuff with you specially the batteries..
Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TimPotter
I just got back from the Nats, and all my bags were checked, on both flights, but they did not confiscate anything. By reading this article it looks like I was in breach of regualtions by putting 5 packs, not connected to devices in my checked bag.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...terstitialskip
Update: March 18, 2009

The DOT has a whole slew of tips for traveling with batteries, in addition to the more general battery guidelines that clear up some of the questions being asked in the comments below. Plus, it looks like there has been a change in the number of batteries allowed for personal use. Here are some key points:

Carry spare batteries in the original packaging. If that's not possible, pack the batteries in such a way that the ends of the batteries won't touch one another, and batteries won't come in contact with any other metal objects (coins, keys, jewelry, etc.)
For safe transport of loose batteries, you can also put tape over the battery's contacts (at either end).
Make sure not to pack batteries in such a way as to crush or puncture them, as it can cause a short-circuit.
For personal use, there is no restriction on the number of batteries you can carry on, though there are restrictions for larger lithium ion and lithium metal batteries. Here's the DOT quote: "For personal use, there is generally no restriction on the number of spare batteries allowed in carry-on baggage. This is the case for cell phone batteries, "hearing aid" button cells, and AA batteries [or] AAA batteries available in retail stores, as well as almost all standard laptop computer batteries."
Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Here is the official TSA site.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...batteries.shtm
Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I check everything but my batteries and my radio, i carry those 2 on. They want you to carry on the batteries so if something happens to one while on the flight they can deal with instead of it being in the cargo. As far as stuff being taken out my checked bags, i tried to fly with 2 cans of motor spray once and they took both since both combined were over the volume limit, so i just take 1 can now with me.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by linger
Tim - Don't worry. I'll call the FAA and report you next time that happens.

The fact is that most of the aircraft screeners do no understand the rules concerning lithium based batteries. The rules themselves are too complex - especialy the "equivalent lithium" calculation. No screener is gonna whip out a calculator to find your "equivalent lithium content". Be safe and travel with all your lipos mostly discharged and stored in a lipo sack.
Mostly discharged is critical.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i read last year that they didn't want lipo in cargo area and to carry them on, I carry my radio and lipos in my radio bag, it helps if you take them out and place them in the tray for them to just look at, sometimes they will do a exposives swip sometimes not, this last trip, it went right thru at seattle but was checked at oakland, usually its the reverse. my big bag always has a your junk was checked ticket in it.

btw, the little power shot of redbull they gave away at norcal, went right thru the walk thru with it in my pocket. I feel SSOOOO much more secure now.