R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   XRAY T1R diff questions (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/42490-xray-t1r-diff-questions.html)

atlrcracer 06-10-2004 06:27 AM

XRAY T1R diff questions

I have completed the assembly of me new T1R kit. And I have read here in the boards to leave the diff loose for a breakin period.

Also...the manual says to tighten the diffs so that they spin freely, but should be hard to turn when holding the output drives.

To me....all of this is very vague.

How hard is "hard to turn"?

How loose is too loose?

Currently i have them, I think TOO loose, where that when the car throttles up (in the house for testing purposes), the car takes a bit to actually to get moving.

So..i guess I need to tighten them down a bit..but what is a good measurement to go by?

Thank you

dr_hfuhuhurr 06-10-2004 07:41 AM

You definately have the diffs too loose. If you listen closely you'll hear a screeching noise too. That's your diff balls going bye-bye :)

When re-building a diff here's the procedure I follow:

1. Assemble the diff per the instructions

2. When tightening the diff, tighten till the balls and diff rings just come into contact. At this point the diff gear can be spun easily while holding the outdrives.

3. Tighten the diff slightly maybe 1/8 of a turn. Hold the outdrives and spin the gear. It should be a little tougher to spin now.

4. Repeat step 3 till it's difficult to spin the gear while holding the outdrives but the diff action (spinning one outdrive while holding the gear) is smooth.

This should get you close. After running a pack through the car, check the diff action and slippage. It may need to be tightened a bit.

Neil Rabara 06-10-2004 08:09 AM

Re: XRAY T1R diff questions

Originally posted by atlrcracer
So..i guess I need to tighten them down a bit..but what is a good measurement to go by?
The break in period is for the balls to properly seat in the pulley and diff rings. Gradually tighten the diff 1/8-1/4 turn until the diff operates freely without slipping.

evaa 06-10-2004 07:22 PM

yep, ur diff is loose

just follow the instructions in the manual when u build the diff. then when its already assembled insert two 1.5mm allen wrenches on opposite outdrives, then try to spin the pulley. if you can spin it, u need to tighten the diff a bit, do this a little at a time till you find it hard to turn the pulley, then try it on the tracks and adjust as needed.

Lano 06-10-2004 08:54 PM

Re: XRAY T1R diff questions

I have completed the assembly of me new T1R kit. And I have read here in the boards to leave the diff loose for a breakin period.

Also...the manual says to tighten the diffs so that they spin freely, but should be hard to turn when holding the output drives.

To me....all of this is very vague.

How hard is "hard to turn"?

How loose is too loose?

Currently i have them, I think TOO loose, where that when the car throttles up (in the house for testing purposes), the car takes a bit to actually to get moving.

Thank you

I too am frustrated with the ambiguity with these instructions. I can tell you from experience that they can be too tight since I already toasted my rear diff .

atlrcracer 06-10-2004 10:06 PM

Well...all is good now.

I used my heat gun to overome the shock ball end installation.

I found an extra E-clip on the "extra parts" bag, which to me, should have been noted somewhere in the BEGINING of the instructions.

I also found the setup book VERY HELPFUL on getting the diffs set correctly. I adjusted the toe in as well.....

My fukayama cells arrived today and my ESC has been set! Tomorrow will be is 1st test drive. Anyone have any "break in" procedures to follow?

Thanks

Lano 06-11-2004 02:05 AM

Well...all is good now.

I used my heat gun to overome the shock ball end installation.

I found an extra E-clip on the "extra parts" bag, which to me, should have been noted somewhere in the BEGINING of the instructions.

I also found the setup book VERY HELPFUL on getting the diffs set correctly. I adjusted the toe in as well.....

My fukayama cells arrived today and my ESC has been set! Tomorrow will be is 1st test drive. Anyone have any "break in" procedures to follow?

Thanks

Nothing special. You'll need to adjust the diffs several times as they break in. The car stable, fast and built like a tank. Have fun!

KY9fat 06-11-2004 02:36 AM

Re: Re: XRAY T1R diff questions

For me, I never seen a better instruction manual than the Xray. Unless you start giving out figures/numbers, all descriptive instruction are vague or interpret differently. Dose that means they have to give you torque figures? If you are not familier with setting up diffs, I guess the best bet is ask someone with experience on the track.
Just my 2 cent...