R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2004, 06:39 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Stock set up verse Mod set up

I currently have a stock set up that I am very comfortable with and have been doing good with. I just picked up a second car and won't to try Mod racing as well. (Electric tc3 running on rubber tires on asphault). Now I have been told I can not run my stock set up with a Mod motor...

Can some explain to me why?

Thanks
Smalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 06:58 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Default depends.....

it depends on how you drive. i have two trf 414 and i set it up differently. one is surikarn's south africa and the othe is surikan's hongkong set up. one is aggressive that the other and i use different motor on each of them.the less aggressive is easier to handle so i used stock motor because stock motors are punchy compare to 8 turn doubles. so since stock motors have high torque, the car is still easy to handle, whereas the other one with more aggressive steering is to compensate the smooth driving of modified
prodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Smalls, depending on your current setup, track, and driving style, you will most likely have a problem with not enough steering. For mod i like the same spring all around with a rear sway bar (on the tc3). PM me if you want a decent mod starting point for the type of tracks in the new england area. It works extremely well at rc madness.
Old 06-09-2004, 08:06 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Here is the setup. Hope it helps you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outdoor starting.jpg (133.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 06-09-2004, 11:35 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to crACkeD ChaSsiS Send a message via Yahoo to crACkeD ChaSsiS
Default setups

well from wat ive learned if u take a mod setup and put it on a stock car. either ur car should b dialed r very close. thats wat i did and my car is hooking up. but i race carpet wit foams. but i think ts pretty much teh same maybe r maybe not. just tellin u wat i did and it worked 4 me.
crACkeD ChaSsiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:09 AM   #6
Tech Elite

From my experience, stock motors have way more drag brake in them. So with a stock motor, you'll have more braking, meaning the weight transfers more/faster to the front, resulting in more steering, compared to a (mod) motor with less braking.

So I would agree, that with mod, you need a more aggressive setup with a mod motor. A workaround could be to dial in some drag brake in the ESC, if your ESC have that feature.

Torque? It's a while since I last tried a mod motor. It was a 18x4, which was quite torqy, so I didnt notice any problems here. But as said, it's some time ago, so I might remember wrong.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:27 AM   #7
Tech Adept

well its different when you are using 8 turn mods, smooth running is needed so you can also conserve battery. when you push the th trigger full on, so much is sucked from your battery that you will lose your punch toward the last 2 minutes of the race. braking should be kept to a minimum. spooling up on mod motor also draws amps
prodrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 01:55 PM   #8
Tech Master

smalls,wot i normally do is if iam running stock ill just use my mod set up on it.
maybe increase front droop about half mm bc theres less weight going to the back in stock.
to go from stock set up to mod it depends how good ur stock set up is.
id be very surprised if your stock set up works good in mod to.
normally mod set ups are a bit stiffer because of more power.
also the set-up will have to be better and you as a driver would have to drive more consistant,which is harder in mod then stock.
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote