R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
I'll say it again, in theory having only 2 classes is a great idea but there is at least one major problem, If a lot of guys are forced to only run one class they just wont show up. Spending up wards of 1-2k for me to attend a race on the west coast is not worth it to me for 30 minutes of track time.

And don't tell me to run 12th scale or wgt. This is my hobby and I will run what I want. I know coming to a race is my choice but if many choose not to come because of this rule and or class structure then attendance will be even lower.

I think the idea of an amateur class now at the nationals is a good idea, Its basically like the stock class of 2006 but not full of 75-100 percent sponsored drivers. Some of you may say that an amateur class should not be at the "Nationals" ok well I would maybe agree with you if these races were selling out but they are not and until they do add as many classes as you can to keep them afloat so it is at least profitable for the Host track.
I never said you had to Mr Fairtrace...if you want to run touring car, you should be able to run touring car. But not everyone runs touring car. What's good for the goose may not necessarily be good for the gander. Now Im not saying there should be 27 classes because again it goes back to my point of what would be better...finishing top 10 in a class of 30 or top 10 in a class of 100...I dont think that someone should be mandated to run a class but you shouldnt not at least consider offering a class just because some people dont want to run it because its not what they want to run.
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

I wasnt refering to your post. I was simply saying that is the usual response to a statement similar to the one I made.

I have been told you dont even race much and have never been to a big race but have a lot of opinions on them. I could be wrong becasue I dont know you.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #108
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Vega View Post
Are you going to show up next year?
maybe Reedy is always fun.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #109
Tech Fanatic

Default Continued Success of On Road Racing

Of course the economy is playing a big role in the current state of RC car racing but there are some things that can be done to make it better and to ensure that on road continues through these hard times and well into the future.

1. Have track/host site criteria that reflects the status of a Nationals race and is viewed as a World Class facility. (these are just suggestions)
a. Air conditioned pitting?
b. Painted tracks?
c. Curbing?
d. Race car friendly track?
e. Ballard table smooth?
f. Permanent driverís stand that holds 18 drivers and must be at 5 or 6 ft high?
g. Track size? 120 X 60?
h. Easy to turn marshal?
i. Quality PA system?
j. Electronic race updates so everyone knows what going on, on the track at all times?
k. High quality, fairly priced track food?
l. If you have a World Class track like this, more racers will want to attend.

2. Have the race the same time each year.
a. If you can schedule it in conjunction with a holiday, so much the better.
b. Labor Day will become available after this yearís IIC but that time could present a problem with some racers who are still attending school.

3. Do a five year agreement with one site to hold the ROAR On Road Paved Nationals. If the location is in the middle of the country, great! However..
a. Do not compromise the site criteria just to get it placed.
b. If all of the racers know that for the next five years, the Nationals will be held at the same location, they can plan accordingly. Flights booked a year in advance are far cheaper than flights booked three months in advance.
c. Everyone will know exactly what bring for equipment and parts.
d. Host site can negotiate lower hotel rates if the hotel has a five year agreement.

4. ONLY FOUR CLASSES!
a. Stock & Mod TC & Stock & Mod 1/12th. Maybe each year allow a promoterís option of adding a 5th class but it must be announced what that class will be a year in advance. I know this will push those drivers away that want to run three TC classes but if they do not want to compete to be a National Champion, so be it.

5. Clearly define the rules for the four classes. (this will be the hardest part)
a. This will drive the other tracks/clubs around the country to provide at least the four Nationals classes to be in their race programs if they have any drivers that aspire to be a National Champion. They can run as many other classes that they want but if they have any racers that want to be a National Champion, they will push their local promoters to provide one or more of the National level classes.
b. Manufactures would clearly know what products will fit into each of these four classes and build/market accordingly.

Of course this is just talking points and suggestions. It will take strong leadership and member support to make something like this come to fruition but if we donít do something quick, on road could fade away.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #110
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
I wasnt refering to your post. I was simply saying that is the usual response to a statement similar to the one I made.

I have been told you dont even race EVER and have never been to a big race but have a lot of opinions on them. I could be wrong becasue I dont know you.
Fixed.
BBSpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:48 PM   #111
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSpence View Post
Fixed.

Ok so thats what I heard but I wasn't sure.

Whats up SeŮor Guillermo

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:53 PM   #112
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:

I have been told you dont even race much and have never been to a big race but have a lot of opinions on them. I could be wrong becasue I dont know you.
And you would be correct...and I dont apologize for either...I know it doesnt give me a lot of credence and I agree with those who say that...(saves me a lot of grief and sleepless nights). Being in Lynchburg, VA doesnt lend itself to being within hailing distance of many tracks, and having quite a few other hobbies and only so much dinero to work with tends to limit that as well
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #113
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

how about two ROAR nationals a year?

1st the 1/12 & WGT carpet nats

1/12-17.5 1 cell
1/12-mod 1 cell
WGT-13.5 1 cell

2nd the out door Touring Car nats

TC 17.5
TC mod

We're going to skate to one song and one song only!
Dave Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:21 PM   #114
Tech Regular

1. Have track/host site criteria that reflects the status of a Nationals race and is viewed as a World Class facility. (these are just suggestions)
a. Air conditioned pitting?
b. Painted tracks?
c. Curbing?
d. Race car friendly track?
e. Ballard table smooth?
f. Permanent driverís stand that holds 18 drivers and must be at 5 or 6 ft high?
g. Track size? 120 X 60?
h. Easy to turn marshal?
i. Quality PA system?
j. Electronic race updates so everyone knows what going on, on the track at all times?
k. High quality, fairly priced track food?
l. If you have a World Class track like this, more racers will want to attend.

2. Have the race the same time each year.
a. If you can schedule it in conjunction with a holiday, so much the better.
b. Labor Day will become available after this yearís IIC but that time could present a problem with some racers who are still attending school.

3. Do a five year agreement with one site to hold the ROAR On Road Paved Nationals. If the location is in the middle of the country, great! However..
a. Do not compromise the site criteria just to get it placed.
b. If all of the racers know that for the next five years, the Nationals will be held at the same location, they can plan accordingly. Flights booked a year in advance are far cheaper than flights booked three months in advance.
c. Everyone will know exactly what bring for equipment and parts.
d. Host site can negotiate lower hotel rates if the hotel has a five year agreement.

4. ONLY FOUR CLASSES!
a. Stock & Mod TC & Stock & Mod 1/12th. Maybe each year allow a promoterís option of adding a 5th class but it must be announced what that class will be a year in advance. I know this will push those drivers away that want to run three TC classes but if they do not want to compete to be a National Champion, so be it.

5. Clearly define the rules for the four classes. (this will be the hardest part)
a. This will drive the other tracks/clubs around the country to provide at least the four Nationals classes to be in their race programs if they have any drivers that aspire to be a National Champion. They can run as many other classes that they want but if they have any racers that want to be a National Champion, they will push their local promoters to provide one or more of the National level classes.
b. Manufactures would clearly know what products will fit into each of these four classes and build/market accordingly.

Of course this is just talking points and suggestions. It will take strong leadership and member support to make something like this come to fruition but if we donít do something quick, on road could fade away.
Today 08:30 PM

HEA!!! Sounds just like Leisurehours raceway....The best check it!!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:24 PM   #115
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bowser View Post
how about two ROAR nationals a year?

1st the 1/12 & WGT carpet nats

1/12-17.5 1 cell
1/12-mod 1 cell
WGT-13.5 1 cell

2nd the out door Touring Car nats

TC 17.5
TC mod
carpet stuff in the winter.... TC stuff in the summer?
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #116
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
carpet stuff in the winter.... TC stuff in the summer?
If the races had more entrys, this would work. But with limited entrys..