R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #76
Tech Master
 
Owen RaCing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Valley
Posts: 1,940
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedgti View Post
Also, I've been a stock racer for god knows how long, and just tried MOD recently. MOD cost a lot less than 17.5 Xpert, period! I buy way less motors.
Seriously Cheaper.
__________________
powered by anti-anxieties, sarcasm and chipotle
Owen RaCing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #77
Tech Elite
 
KHoff7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,166
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

50mph+curb launch+concrete retaining wall= Oh no not again!
__________________
Awesomatix USA / Middle River Hobbies / Sweep / Psycho Cells Racing
Karl Hoffmeister
KHoff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #78
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,267
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to joey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHoff7 View Post
50mph+curb launch+concrete retaining wall= Oh no not again!
......
__________________
=Joe Wright=
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #79
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
If you wreck that bad, those people should not be thinking about mod. They should be thinking about novice. People that break chassis don't break them because they strapped in to much power, they did that because they have not learned the basics in the first place. I don't know how you break a car that bad in the first place. Ive seen screws pulled out of bulkheads, but never bulk heads pulled out of chassis.
I don't think your track has curbs, ours does, if you clip the entry to the sweeper by turning in a bit too early you get launched into a concrete wall. Maybe it's cheaper for you at your track, but its not the case everywhere. You can't tell me that you don't need to rebuild a diff in mod 5x more often.
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #80
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 815
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
I tell you after this years Nats i think their should be one. Id be willing to bid again to have all those 130 awesome people and all that fun again. Someone step up and put a bid in and just do it. Onroad electric racing is to cool to not continue.
NorCal!!! Bid on the paved nats again for 2011. ROAR, If no other track in the country bids, then give it to NorCal!! When I raced SCCA the nats where always at Road Atlanta, every year. I understand why ROAR wants to move the nats around but if no one else bids, then why not give it to a track that not only wants it but can put on a good show. That's better than no Nats at all.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #81
Tech Master
 
Owen RaCing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Valley
Posts: 1,940
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I don't think your track has curbs, ours does, if you clip the entry to the sweeper by turning in a bit too early you get launched into a concrete wall. Maybe it's cheaper for you at your track, but its not the case everywhere. You can't tell me that you don't need to rebuild a diff in mod 5x more often.
I don't run on curbing, but if you hit the curbing then hit the wall, you will break with any wind motor. So that is a debate of personal driving skills/class.

Now your grasping at straws, but yes, you do have to. With good gear diffs on the horizon you won't need to be (unless a ball diff is personally preferred)
__________________
powered by anti-anxieties, sarcasm and chipotle
Owen RaCing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #82
Tech Champion
 
skypilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,524
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schurcr View Post
JL .... FYI...... 12th scale at the worlds is usually run on carpet. In the last 12 years carpet nats have had only 2 races that were less than 200 entries, 2004 and 2010. Paved nats have been poorly attended the last 3 years, although this year was better than the last 2. IMO, 128 entries and 101 drivers in this economy is a success.

As far as classes we should have a Sportsman/Stock TC class, no sponsored drivers, treaded tires, no timing ESC's, 21.5 motors with locked timing, and realistic, licensed, race car bodies. If you limit the amount of available traction, get rid of the high down force TC bodies of the current era, eliminate boost timing in ESC's and make a motor spec that basicaly puts all "stock" bl motors on the same playing field. Limit the sensor location or get rid of sensored al together in stock/sportsman. Make the cars something the hobbyist could enjoy and be competitive with and just maybe we'll see TC make a come back. Go ahead and the flame begin.

Open TC - open esc, open motor, slicks and current TC bodies.

1/12th 17.5 or 13.5

1/12th Open

It's time for people to man up. Run what you can HP wise and see where you really stack up in a real field. JL remembers Ripon in 1999. Making the B in Stock TC ment something in a field of over 100 stock TC's a few nor Cal guys will remember even making the A at that race. Now that's an accomplishment.
hey Ruben, pretty much spot on, except I run 1/12 with a 10.5 non boosted so we need to include that class.. J/K

actually a month or so ago, me myself and I "Turtlemaster Racing" sponsored a class that was 13.5 boosted, "real" bodies, sorex 40's (on a cold parkinglot) spec traction compound, and no warmers. Even put my own money on the line to get more interested, only a few took the challenge, but many enjoyed the hell out of watching the close racing. I've been asked to do it again and more would join in. I just may do it again, but without the cash, which btw, the winner turned down because he said he just had so much damn fun. (thanks Jake)

and yea I agee with you on the 19T thing
__________________
semi retired..
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #83
Tech Adept
 
rwhit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ca.
Posts: 110
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rwhit
Default Woo shaa Woo shaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
Sure they could so to hell with the Nationals!!! Who needs it!!!
take it easy Big guy you could always come over to the Dark side..... Nitro he he he
__________________
R.W
rwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #84
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 1,853
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I don't think your track has curbs, ours does, if you clip the entry to the sweeper by turning in a bit too early you get launched into a concrete wall. Maybe it's cheaper for you at your track, but its not the case everywhere. You can't tell me that you don't need to rebuild a diff in mod 5x more often.
And front axle/cvds, and tires...
__________________
SMC ( www.smc-racing.com the only place to order your batteries online.), Awesomatix, Gonzo Paints, BN Racing

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #85
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Nor-Cal
Posts: 1,853
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
Seriously Cheaper.
I had a 17.5 for two years, bought a new one for the nats "just because" and then lent the old one to A-Yo because it was faster than his brand new motor.
__________________
SMC ( www.smc-racing.com the only place to order your batteries online.), Awesomatix, Gonzo Paints, BN Racing

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #86
Tech Elite
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,839
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schurcr View Post
JL .... FYI...... 12th scale at the worlds is usually run on carpet. In the last 12 years carpet nats have had only 2 races that were less than 200 entries, 2004 and 2010. Paved nats have been poorly attended the last 3 years, although this year was better than the last 2. IMO, 128 entries and 101 drivers in this economy is a success.

As far as classes we should have a Sportsman/Stock TC class, no sponsored drivers, treaded tires, no timing ESC's, 21.5 motors with locked timing, and realistic, licensed, race car bodies. If you limit the amount of available traction, get rid of the high down force TC bodies of the current era, eliminate boost timing in ESC's and make a motor spec that basicaly puts all "stock" bl motors on the same playing field. Limit the sensor location or get rid of sensored al together in stock/sportsman. Make the cars something the hobbyist could enjoy and be competitive with and just maybe we'll see TC make a come back. Go ahead and the flame begin.

Open TC - open esc, open motor, slicks and current TC bodies.

1/12th 17.5 or 13.5

1/12th Open

It's time for people to man up. Run what you can HP wise and see where you really stack up in a real field. JL remembers Ripon in 1999. Making the B in Stock TC ment something in a field of over 100 stock TC's a few nor Cal guys will remember even making the A at that race. Now that's an accomplishment.
This is one of the wisest posts I have seen in a while...
__________________
REFLEX RACING/ RSD/ GIZMO RACING USA/ HOBBYWING/ AXON/ QTEQ/ TEAM PRIME
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #87
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 742
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to DJGonzo69
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
I tell you after this years Nats i think their should be one. Id be willing to bid again to have all those 130 awesome people and all that fun again. Someone step up and put a bid in and just do it. Onroad electric racing is to cool to not continue.
I would like to see the Nats back at Norcal again. They already proved they can put on a awesome show! If no one bids...give it to Norcal.
__________________
|XRAY|RCAmerica|Hobbywing|KO PROPO|Team Scream Motors|Gonzo PaintWorX|
DJGonzo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #88
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,000
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schurcr View Post
JL .... FYI...... 12th scale at the worlds is usually run on carpet. In the last 12 years carpet nats have had only 2 races that were less than 200 entries, 2004 and 2010. Paved nats have been poorly attended the last 3 years, although this year was better than the last 2. IMO, 128 entries and 101 drivers in this economy is a success.

As far as classes we should have a Sportsman/Stock TC class, no sponsored drivers, treaded tires, no timing ESC's, 21.5 motors with locked timing, and realistic, licensed, race car bodies. If you limit the amount of available traction, get rid of the high down force TC bodies of the current era, eliminate boost timing in ESC's and make a motor spec that basicaly puts all "stock" bl motors on the same playing field. Limit the sensor location or get rid of sensored al together in stock/sportsman. Make the cars something the hobbyist could enjoy and be competitive with and just maybe we'll see TC make a come back. Go ahead and the flame begin.

Open TC - open esc, open motor, slicks and current TC bodies.

1/12th 17.5 or 13.5

1/12th Open

It's time for people to man up. Run what you can HP wise and see where you really stack up in a real field. JL remembers Ripon in 1999. Making the B in Stock TC ment something in a field of over 100 stock TC's a few nor Cal guys will remember even making the A at that race. Now that's an accomplishment.
I made the A-main that year and finished 8th Schumacher SST99 baby!!!!
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #89
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 676
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Was that when you were fast or everybody was slow
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #90
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 9,000
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARON YOUNG View Post
Was that when you were fast or everybody was slow
That was when I tested 5 days a week!!!
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:22 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net