R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #76
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonedgti View Post
Also, I've been a stock racer for god knows how long, and just tried MOD recently. MOD cost a lot less than 17.5 Xpert, period! I buy way less motors.
Seriously Cheaper.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

50mph+curb launch+concrete retaining wall= Oh no not again!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #78
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to joey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHoff7 View Post
50mph+curb launch+concrete retaining wall= Oh no not again!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #79
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
If you wreck that bad, those people should not be thinking about mod. They should be thinking about novice. People that break chassis don't break them because they strapped in to much power, they did that because they have not learned the basics in the first place. I don't know how you break a car that bad in the first place. Ive seen screws pulled out of bulkheads, but never bulk heads pulled out of chassis.
I don't think your track has curbs, ours does, if you clip the entry to the sweeper by turning in a bit too early you get launched into a concrete wall. Maybe it's cheaper for you at your track, but its not the case everywhere. You can't tell me that you don't need to rebuild a diff in mod 5x more often.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 PM   #80
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
I tell you after this years Nats i think their should be one. Id be willing to bid again to have all those 130 awesome people and all that fun again. Someone step up and put a bid in and just do it. Onroad electric racing is to cool to not continue.
NorCal!!! Bid on the paved nats again for 2011. ROAR, If no other track in the country bids, then give it to NorCal!! When I raced SCCA the nats where always at Road Atlanta, every year. I understand why ROAR wants to move the nats around but if no one else bids, then why not give it to a track that not only wants it but can put on a good show. That's better than no Nats at all.
Crashby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #81
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I don't think your track has curbs, ours does, if you clip the entry to the sweeper by turning in a bit too early you get launched into a concrete wall. Maybe it's cheaper for you at your track, but its not the case everywhere. You can't tell me that you don't need to rebuild a diff in mod 5x more often.
I don't run on curbing, but if you hit the curbing then hit the wall, you will break with any wind motor. So that is a debate of personal driving skills/class.

Now your grasping at straws, but yes, you do have to. With good gear diffs on the horizon you won't need to be (unless a ball diff is personally preferred)
Old 08-10-2010, 07:15 PM   #82
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schurcr View Post
JL .... FYI...... 12th scale at the worlds is usually run on carpet. In the last 12 years carpet nats have had only 2 races that were less than 200 entries, 2004 and 2010. Paved nats have been poorly attended the last 3 years, although this year was better than the last 2. IMO, 128 entries and 101 drivers in this economy is a success.

As far as classes we should have a Sportsman/Stock TC class, no sponsored drivers, treaded tires, no timing ESC's, 21.5 motors with locked timing, and realistic, licensed, race car bodies. If you limit the amount of available traction, get rid of the high down force TC bodies of the current era, eliminate boost timing in ESC's and make a motor spec that basicaly puts all "stock" bl motors on the same playing field. Limit the sensor location or get rid of sensored al together in stock/sportsman. Make the cars something the hobbyist could enjoy and be competitive with and just maybe we'll see TC make a come back. Go ahead and the flame begin.

Open TC - open esc, open motor, slicks and current TC bodies.

1/12th 17.5 or 13.5

1/12th Open

It's time for people to man up. Run what you can HP wise and see where you really stack up in a real field. JL remembers Ripon in 1999. Making the B in Stock TC ment something in a field of over 100 stock TC's a few nor Cal guys will remember even making the A at that race. Now that's an accomplishment.
hey Ruben, pretty much spot on, except I run 1/12 with a 10.5 non boosted so we need to include that class.. J/K

actually a month or so ago, me myself and I "Turtlemaster Racing" sponsored a class that was 13.5 boosted, "real" bodies, sorex 40's (on a cold parkinglot) spec traction compound, and no warmers. Even put my own money on the line to get more interested, only a few took the challenge, but many enjoyed the hell out of watching the close racing. I've been asked to do it again and more would join in. I just may do it again, but without the cash, which btw, the winner turned down because he said he just had so much damn fun. (thanks Jake)

and yea I agee with you on the 19T thing
Old 08-10-2010, 07:55 PM   #83
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rwhit
Default Woo shaa Woo shaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hubbard View Post
Sure they could so to hell with the Nationals!!! Who needs it!!!
take it easy Big guy you could always come over to the Dark side..... Nitro he he he
Old 08-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #84
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
And front axle/cvds, and tires...

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:17 PM   #85
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
Seriously Cheaper.
I had a 17.5 for two years, bought a new one for the nats "just because" and then lent the old one to A-Yo because it was faster than his brand new motor.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
JL .... FYI...... 12th scale at the worlds is usually run on carpet. In the last 12 years carpet nats have had only 2 races that were less than 200 entries, 2004 and 2010. Paved nats have been poorly attended the last 3 years, although this year was better than the last 2. IMO, 128 entries and 101 drivers in this economy is a success.

As far as classes we should have a Sportsman/Stock TC class, no sponsored drivers, treaded tires, no timing ESC's, 21.5 motors with locked timing, and realistic, licensed, race car bodies. If you limit the amount of available traction, get rid of the high down force TC bodies of the current era, eliminate boost timing in ESC's and make a motor spec that basicaly puts all "stock" bl motors on the same playing field. Limit the sensor location or get rid of sensored al together in stock/sportsman. Make the cars something the hobbyist could enjoy and be competitive with and just maybe we'll see TC make a come back. Go ahead and the flame begin.

1/12th 17.5 or 13.5

1/12th Open

It's time for people to man up. Run what you can HP wise and see where you really stack up in a real field. JL remembers Ripon in 1999. Making the B in Stock TC ment something in a field of over 100 stock TC's a few nor Cal guys will remember even making the A at that race. Now that's an accomplishment.
This is one of the wisest posts I have seen in a while...
Old 08-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #87
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to DJGonzo69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin J View Post
I tell you after this years Nats i think their should be one. Id be willing to bid again to have all those 130 awesome people and all that fun again. Someone step up and put a bid in and just do it. Onroad electric racing is to cool to not continue.
I would like to see the Nats back at Norcal again. They already proved they can put on a awesome show! If no one bids...give it to Norcal.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #88
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:

1/12th 17.5 or 13.5

1/12th Open

I made the A-main that year and finished 8th Schumacher SST99 baby!!!!
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 PM   #89
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Was that when you were fast or everybody was slow
AARON YOUNG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #90
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARON YOUNG View Post
Was that when you were fast or everybody was slow