R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardboy76 View Post
Thanx for all the info. Since I work for US Airways what major airport is near by
MCO
Old 11-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #92
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
I have never had an issue with my stuff. I do avoid anything that says flammable or hazardous. I also carry my radio and cars on with me (minus any batteries in the car).

If I carry shock oil I put them in a spill proof container. Bass pro shops carries some that are water tight and I write non hazardous and non flammable on the outside. This keeps them from looking at them much. I also make sure all my batteries are discharged too. Less likely to have any issues with them that way.

EA
How do you fit all of this in a carry on? Ive always driven to large races but this one is to far so I have to fly. Anybody recommend any hard suitcases or does shipping work best?
Thanks
Old 11-22-2010, 03:53 PM   #93
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIITA View Post
How do you fit all of this in a carry on? Ive always driven to large races but this one is to far so I have to fly. Anybody recommend any hard suitcases or does shipping work best?
Thanks
I only carry my radio and cars on with me. I check two bags. One all RC stuff and the other RC stuff and clothes. The reason I carry my cars on is that if all your lugage is lost you can borrow batteries, motors, etc to race with. Its really hard to borrow a car or radio at a race though! Plus I know its safe with me!

I only fly southwest so all that stuff is free too!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #94
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Some airlines allow overages up to 100lbs for sporting goods, it doesn't hurt to check.

Neil Armstrong 1968
Cammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:26 PM   #95
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

TSA is going to touch your junk.

And your RC stuff.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:51 PM   #96
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIITA View Post
Thanks
These cases are dialed - they weight slightly under 20lb ea and I check them. Most airlines support upto 70lb for some extra cash. These cases + lock-n-lock boxes are all I use for my race stuff...

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail_...hp?Case=iM2750
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #97
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
These cases are dialed - they weight slightly under 20lb ea and I check them. Most airlines support upto 70lb for some extra cash. These cases + lock-n-lock boxes are all I use for my race stuff...

Hanulec's yellow boxes of T3!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #98
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post

What do you do about clothes, just stick them in amongst your stuff? Is there some way to stack these things when you're rolling them around?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:15 PM   #99
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
What do you do about clothes, just stick them in amongst your stuff? Is there some way to stack these things when you're rolling them around?
I didn't say that was the only bags I bring . I have two carry-ons -- one hard case roller back that has my race ready car(s), radio and some clothes. I have another bag, a large napsack, filled with my lipos, laptop and more clothes. I plan what clothes I bring in hopes of having to throw some of them out to fit race trophies. Its worked pretty well at my past few fly away races .

You might also ask -- how do you carry 4 bags. Well three of them have wheels, and one is a back pack. I make a "train" out of the smaller back and attach it to the back of one of the larger bags. Many things are good for this -- including your belt.

And for Birds you can usually find some sucker to bring either some or all of your stuff for you when they drive down. Thanks again sucker, I mean pal - Jerry "Schreff-tino" Perez!
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / [email protected] Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
Old 11-22-2010, 08:53 PM   #100
Tech Champion

I just threw together some links and info I've learned about traveling with RC gear online at my wiki - http://racerlog.com/wiki/Travel_With_RC_Gear . If anyone has something to add you can, just create an account and edit away...
Old 11-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #101
Tech Master

Awesome information thanks everyone!!!
RCThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:45 AM   #102
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Here is a link to the TSA stance on remote control vehicles.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/..._vehicles.shtm

This talks about batteries

http://safetravel.dot.gov/whats_new_batteries.html

I have flown a lot with rc stuff and I never had an issue where my stuff was taken or not allowed. Not that I recomend it but I have flow with motor spray, paint, lighter fluid ect in my checked bags. I always carry on major electronics such as power supplies, GFX, batteries, and raidos. The reason for this is that it weighs a lot and I can pack more stuff for checked bags.

There is no doubt when you put a GFX through a x-ray scanner you are going to get a bag check so arrive a little early. This has happend every time to me with out fail. Once when I went to Vegas they saw the GFX did a bag check and swabed all my stuff. My Ott light had some explosive residue on it so that got me a little extra pat down but I was still allowed to carry it on. After that I wipe all my stuff down prior to travel.

When you fly home out of Orlando (MCO) they are pretty hip to r/c stuff and in most cases TSA people think it's cool. One year from snowbirds I had a case of Nimh cells (10packs total) and they wanted to screen it. Once they opened it (they thought it was poker chips) and I explained what they were they wanted to know why I had so many? Once the head TSA guy came over and looked at the batteries and I explained what I did he said "oh yeah i've been dealing with you guys all day", he took a pic and let me on my way.

Just be prepaired to be stopped and checked, arrive early, and be NICE, no one wants to deal with a jerk off or an ass hole. LOL

Monti
Monti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #103
Tech Master

15 minutes away from entries opening up on-line! The first 10 racers get a special prize from Genesis RC Products. See more on our site!

Mike
www.snowbirdnationals.com
RCThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #104
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default sign up

Just signed up and paid!
jgraham37128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 03:16 PM   #105
Tech Elite