Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Lathe?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Tech Adept

Default Which Lathe?

Looking to get a lathe in a couple of weeks. Just wondering which I should go for out of the Cobra and the Trinity? and why? Cheers in advance for any replies.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:38 PM
Tech Master

Have you considered a Hudy? I have the Tech model and love it. Whatever you decide, get the ones w/ V blocks.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I have had my Cobra Mod lathe for over 8 years without a single problem with it. It works great and is priced very reasonable. I have been very happy with it. The Trinity lathe is also a good lathe. If you have the money the Hudy lathe is the one to look at.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:37 PM
Tech Adept

Here is another one to consider, Integy X-Mod Super Lathe 2. I have one and haven't had any trouble.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

If I had the cash flow...I'd get a HUDY. I've got a friend that's got one and it's WAY nice!
Old 06-03-2004, 06:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

as posted by forty6, just get one with v-blocks. something that i look at is the thread pitch on the (feed?) axis. a fine thread will minimize the error of accidently going to deep.
Old 06-03-2004, 07:30 AM
Tech Regular

When you say go for a lathe with v-guides, is this were the com sits onto the lathe??? And what are the + & - between v-guides and bearings??? Also which is best carbide or diamond cutting???
Old 06-03-2004, 07:49 AM
Tech Master

The Team Orion lathe works really well.
A diamond bit is better than a carbide bit.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Any lathe with a ultra fine pitch feed thread, adjustable slides, and a diamond bit should cut equally as well. the adjustable slides are a necessity for a good cut down the road. after a year or so the slides are getting slack, and start to move. with the adjustable all you need to do is tighten up the set screws and go at it.

other than that, the features each lathe has is really the only thing that makes em different. do you want blue, black, purple, or red? i wanted blue so i got the trinity
Old 06-03-2004, 10:13 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info guys, I think I may go for the Trinity or the Hudy if i find the extra cash.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by 1BadTransam
Any lathe with a ultra fine pitch feed thread, adjustable slides, and a diamond bit should cut equally as well. the adjustable slides are a necessity for a good cut down the road. after a year or so the slides are getting slack, and start to move. with the adjustable all you need to do is tighten up the set screws and go at it.

other than that, the features each lathe has is really the only thing that makes em different. do you want blue, black, purple, or red? i wanted blue so i got the trinity
Anyone got a pic of the slides??

Are those the "clamps" over the armature shafts resting on the v blocks??
Old 06-03-2004, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by g4t2
Thanks for the info guys, I think I may go for the Trinity or the Hudy if i find the extra cash.
Forget the trinity, if your going to get one of the two, go with the hudy.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by stegger
When you say go for a lathe with v-guides, is this were the com sits onto the lathe??? And what are the + & - between v-guides and bearings??? Also which is best carbide or diamond cutting???
V versus bearing.
The V will wear out and in the end effectively ruin the lathe. If you keep it well oiled you can true thousands of armatures before you notice any wear.
If one bearing is slightly damaged or wobbly it can ruin the cut, but to fix it you just replace the bearing.

Diamond is usually five times as expensive as carbite and it lasts up to ten times longer, Diamond is also more fragile and can more easily chip ruining the bit.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:04 PM
Tech Master

I just got a integy and I love it. It cuts very very well.

As for the diff types of cutters. A carbide and diamond will give the same cut. The only thing that is diff is the amount of time they last. If you have access to a machine shop you can get the carbide cutters sharpend.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Tech Master

I have to say I have used many lathes and my Hudy is by far the best. I have never had a problem with the unit and it looks brand new as when I bought it..even after 4 years of use.
The difference between the Diamond and the carbide bit are first cost. The diamond bit is very expensive. As far as the cuts, I feel the diamond cuts much better (I have used both in the past). The diamond also lasts much longer but is more fragile. I have used the same diamond bit for the last 4 years and it cuts just as good as the brand new back-up diamond bit I have. Just baby the diamond bit and it will last for a very long time.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.