Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Associated SC10 Pavement Track Setup---HELP!! >

Associated SC10 Pavement Track Setup---HELP!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Associated SC10 Pavement Track Setup---HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 06:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Associated SC10 Pavement Track Setup

I bought a SC 10 last year and recently put a novak 17.5 brushless motor with a GTB Speed control. I also have a spectrum receiver and M8 radio. Everything else is still stock the way it came out of the box. Im in a racing club in Everett WA and below is a link to a video for you to get a feel for the track Im racing on.

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=zykT7xwjLLM

Im having some issues with handling, basically getting the truck to turn quicker at higher speeds around those tight turns on this pavement track. I really have to slow way down almost to a crawl to get a tight turn and all the other racers are flying by me on the corners.

Right now my setup has the camber at 1 and I use 50 weight shock oil in the front with silver springs and 40 wt in the back with green springs with a couple of ½ inch shock clip/spacers on every shock.
I read something about keeping the arms just above level? l but I have not checked those yet.

Any help at all with a good set up for this road course would be very much appreciated!!

Last edited by milamo; 08-02-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Is your truck flipping over like the others?

Try going heavier on the springs and run the arms level or just below level.

Those trucks have such a high center of gravity that their weight will cause them to pitch and roll all over the place.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

No problems with fliping over...I will try the heavier springs, Thanks!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have not seen your video but I know how to make your SC10 handle on a asphalt road course . Do you have any jumps. That would possibly be the difference with what I'm running.
I'm using a 13.5 with a Tekin RS ESC.But I did use a Novak GTB.
Front shock oil 80-100 weight Springs- Red (associated)
Rear shock oil -50-60 weight. (Springs -Green (associated)
Lowered the shocks with internal spacers (if you have jumps ?)
Tires- I used the stock tires an rims. but I've got Road Rages with the stock associated T4 rims with a traxxas rear axle adaptor($1.95). works fine.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey Mike, couldn't get any secrets out of Ben and Bubba? Before my SC10 broke for the day, I thought I had it running pretty good. I had green springs and 45wt oil in the back, with red springs and 45wt oil in the front. Both have the stock pistons. I also set the camber to -1.5 all around. Ride height is set at arms level front and back. Most of this was after asking Bubba for a few hints. I had started with heavier springs in the back, but I was spinning out at every turn. I'm also running the battery pretty far back in the tray to shift weight to the back and no drag brake on the ESC. I'm also pretty sure I saw the anti-roll bar on the rear of Bubba's Blitz, although I haven't tried that.

For those willing to help us out, rules stipulate off-road SC tires, and must have the same suspension travel amount as stock.

-Jeff
Old 08-02-2010, 04:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by blanchjd
Hey Mike, couldn't get any secrets out of Ben and Bubba?
Well they always seem so busy at the track and then Im busy during the week at work and I wanted to reach out for some different opinions. I dont want to just copy everyone down at our track. I just got back from hobbytown with a new set of front and rear springs so I will start with that, adjust my camber and thats a great idea about the battery!!
Wes had suggested that I try yellow springs in the front and one step lighter to blue in the back, but I think I will try the green and red. You said -1.5 on the camber? I was told by a couple people to run it a +2 ????

And thanks to everyone who has replied with their comments, I appreciate it.

Last edited by milamo; 08-02-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by milamo
Well they always seem so busy at the track and then Im busy during the week at work and I wanted to reach out for some different opinions. I dont want to just copy everyone down at our track. I just got back from hobbytown with a new set of front and rear springs so I will start with that, adjust my camber and thats a great idea about the battery!!
Wes had suggested that I try yellow springs in the front and one step lighter to blue in the back, but I think I will try the green and red. You said -1.5 on the camber? I was told by a couple people to run it a +2 ????

And thanks to everyone who has replied with their comments, I appreciate it.
No that's cool, its why I looked at the thread to begin with, thinking it was from somewhere else, and saw that it was you posting. Hopefully others have some good ideas.

I imagine with the camber, people are just telling you the quantity, as no one I know actually runs positive camber. That would have the wheels tilting out instead of in.

I modded the chassis and battery hold down to be able to push the battery back past the stop that is molded into the strap. I'll take a picture if you're interested. Of course the factory team battery strap will let you position it wherever.

-Jeff
Old 08-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I did forget to say I made my own sway bars. I orginally installed the associated but they were too weak.So I made a .078 out of wing wire for the front and back. I also installed spacers inside the shocks.Even if I run the stock truck tires my set-up is will work.presently I just have the front sway bar hooked up.I made holders for the oront sway bar out of old parts I had frpm my 1/12th days.