Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Bearing question >

Bearing question

Bearing question

Old 06-05-2004, 02:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Bearing question

Im just a little confused, as you know there are several types of bearings (rubber/teflon sealed and metal shielded)

Which one is better in terms of less friction? And which of the two is less maintenance. I am in the process of rebuilding my ride.

All help is appreciated.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:41 AM
Tech Rookie

of course go for sealed nearly zero maintenance
Old 06-05-2004, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by cjred
of course go for sealed nearly zero maintenance
There all sealed, what i meant to say was is rubber sealed less friction or metal sheilded bearings.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

metal sheild bearings are the freest of all of the seals.. both rubber and teflon seals generally rub on the bearing housing... metal sheild are smaller and dont do this...

but the turn off is metal sheild require more cleaning then the others...

but if u want your bearings good and free.. u want to soak them brand new in a degreaser type cleaner.. to get all the packing grease out... then let them dry and use a light oil.. they will spin almost as free as a ceramic bearing...but not last as long...

my tc3 spins like ceramics with a cheap set of metal sheilds...

i had the tegflon and rubber bearing but they never spun as free. i took all the seals out and boom instant super free bearings.. but they lasted half as long due to no seals...
Old 06-05-2004, 06:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would agree with burbs.

I run with out shields and mine spin free. I usually always test each one and replace before re-installation. I rarely replace bearings that do not have any shields. With shields, I always lost bearings, usually due to carpet fibers. Then again I only run on tracks and carpet which are well groomed. If you run anywhere else, I would run shields.

A-ko
Old 06-05-2004, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

Burbs pretty much said all that you need to know... i'm running teflon in one of my TC3s and i like them, but i do clean them though like every season (8 weeks of racing) though just do to the carpet fibers getting into them and build up to keep them in top performance and all that...
Old 06-06-2004, 03:21 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by burbs
metal sheild bearings are the freest of all of the seals.. both rubber and teflon seals generally rub on the bearing housing... metal sheild are smaller and dont do this...

but the turn off is metal sheild require more cleaning then the others...

but if u want your bearings good and free.. u want to soak them brand new in a degreaser type cleaner.. to get all the packing grease out... then let them dry and use a light oil.. they will spin almost as free as a ceramic bearing...but not last as long...

my tc3 spins like ceramics with a cheap set of metal sheilds...

i had the tegflon and rubber bearing but they never spun as free. i took all the seals out and boom instant super free bearings.. but they lasted half as long due to no seals...
Thanks heaps burbs im just confused, and thanks for all the other replies.
Old 06-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

The bearing issue is sometimes overrated. If you are just club racing, I would suggest getting a good set of teflon sealed bearings and leaving the grease in them. They will last the longest this way. If you are heading to a big race, cleaning out the grease might be worth it, but it is a lot more maintenance. I would suggest rebuilding non-sealed bearings at least once every week. This will insure the fibers and other particles will not rip the bearing apart. I have had a bearing literally fall apart as I popped it out of an input shaft. Not good, lol
Old 06-06-2004, 11:21 AM
Tech Elite

Every club race should be like running at a big event. Prepare as such. Bearing maintenance is required, but you will get use to driving fast all the time.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Tech Master

your statement is true but not true...

all of the fast guy i race with,, a bunch... run weekly races and we are fast.. but when it comes down to crunch time we usually do a lap or more better... not everyone can afford or mentally handle what it takes to race big events.. i do weekly as stress relief... a big race.. is alot of stress and prep... it all depends on the person..