R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-05-2004, 01:30 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Wheelbase?

Hi guys,

i've got a question for the experts here. The people have there own theories about it but the manual says different.

If I put the front wishbones more to the back it gives more stability and less grip.
If I put the back wishbones more to the back it gives more stability and less grip.

And of course if you do the opposite it is vice versa

But...

If you read carefully, the wheelbase stays the same if you put the front wishbones to the back. Some guides say "a longer wheelbase gives more stability and less grip". And other guides say "the front wishbones more to the back gives more stability and less grip" (exactly the same what I said at the start of this article).

So, what is the theory behind it, I am brainstorming about it but I can't find a clue for myself .

Help me and yourself to find the answer and be a better expert .
Geforcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:38 PM   #2
Tech Master

Since when can you get more stability from a car that has less grip isn't that almost oxymoronic?
Mabuchi540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:40 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Default Wheelbase?

Geforcy;

If you move all 4 of the arms (wishbones) in the same direction, you are changing (ever so slightly) the weight balance front to rear.
In general, the more weight on the rear tires the more grip, shift the weight forward (arms backward) and you would in theory get more grip in the front.

Shorter wheelbases offer a quicker, tighter turning car. This is especially helpful on small tight tracks.

Longer wheelbase make for a more stable car and works best on large high speed tracks with flowing corners. In both instances, wheelbase will have a negligable effect on overall grip.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:44 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to SalvadoriRacing Send a message via Skype™ to SalvadoriRacing

forget the theories.....

more wheelbase gives you more stability and less steering...
less wheelbase the opposite...

about the 2 theories.....only the second is correct in my opinion, nothing to say about less grip, because i believe you set only how much your car is agressive by adjusting the wheelbase...

O.S. Engines - KM RACING - CONTACT TYRES - SAVOX - LRP - ARC | Blitz | Titan
SalvadoriRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:45 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Mabuchi540
Since when can you get more stability from a car that has less grip isn't that almost oxymoronic?
Well, cause it is .
Hopefully I helped you now explaining the difference between grip and stability .
Old 06-05-2004, 01:50 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Thnx popsracer that should help me further .

Quote:
In both instances, wheelbase will have a negligable effect on overall grip.
So in fact you can try different weight/wheelbase to find the stability or grip you want. Every circuit is different so it will always take some practice to see what is the best. Right?
Old 06-05-2004, 01:58 PM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Helps me too, THANKS
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:28 AM   #8
Tech Master

gforcy-this is what happens when you change wheelbase.

if you put front wheelbase back it will give the front more grip
if you put front wheelbase forward it will give less front grip
if you put rear wheebase forward it will give more grip
if you put rear wheelbase back it gives less grip.

remember these scenarios are only if you leave the opposite end in the same positions.
now if you adjust your wheelbase front and rear using spacers on the wishbone and for examples sake you had a 2mm parameter to adjust it bothe front and rear.
and for exaple sake you had 2 2mm spacers to adjust it and wheelbase on front and rear were in the middle.
that means that on the front youd have 1mm spacer in front of the wishbone and 1mm spacer behind and the same for the back.
now if you wanted more front grip you put the spacer that behind the front wishbone to the front of it so the front wheelbase is fully back.
this will give more front grip.
or you could leave the front as it is and put the rear wishbones fully back by putting the spacer that in behind of the rear wishbone at the front of the rear wishbone.
this will give the back lees grip.
if you wanted the front to have less grip you put the spacer that in front of the front wishbone to the back of it.
or you could put the spacer thats in front of the rear wishbone to the back of it and this will give more rear end thus reducing front end.
if you wanted more grip overall you just put the front whishbones fully back and the rear wishbones fully forward.

the reason this gives more grip is because your putting the wheels nearer the to the heavy things in the vehicle and putting more weight on the wheels.

Also if you have a small wheelbase it will make the car twitchy and have less stabillity.
if you have a wheelbase thats very wide youd loose grip but the car wil be less twitchy and more stable.
stabillity is just the opposite to grip.
if your cars rolling a lot in the corners youd stiffen the car put a higher roll center in widen wheelbase etc.this IS NOT increasing grip but increasing stabillity!
i hope thats explained a few things.
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote