R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

Surge batteries has a different type of zapping process then matchers....seems to work well...excellent numbers

about having high end cells to win...YOU DONT NEED HIGH END CELLS to win(but they do help a tad, maybe a couple tenths a second a lap)! For most club racers you wont notice it a ton anyways. ive placed well at several national events ( A and B mains) with only 1.14-1.15 semi-matched cells at under 27 bucks a pack that are a few months old. Packs that are well maintained with lower voltages are better off then good packs that never get equalized or conditioned.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:23 PM   #47
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally posted by R/C Anonymous
Surge batteries has a different type of zapping process then matchers....seems to work well...excellent numbers

about having high end cells to win...YOU DONT NEED HIGH END CELLS to win(but they do help a tad, maybe a couple tenths a second a lap)! For most club racers you wont notice it a ton anyways. ive placed well at several national events ( A and B mains) with only 1.14-1.15 semi-matched cells at under 27 bucks a pack that are a few months old. Packs that are well maintained with lower voltages are better off then good packs that never get equalized or conditioned.

right about that.
that's why i got the new Novak Smart Tray coming tuesday.
man, i have to get me some of those Surge packs.
what about the Yoke packs (not the ones that Reedy has)?

YOKOMO --- simply put --- THEE BEST!!
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 02:12 PM   #48
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Herminator
Changing the cutoff's and charge rates isn't actualy changing anything in the cell. It's just playing with numbers, which makes comparing cells, fairly, impossible.
Change of technoligy is good, but by changing parameters you're not actualy changing the product, just the way you measure performance.
What they can play around with is the zapping process, but that will take a long time to perfect, and from the looks of it may not even be worth it until Sanyo improve their own quality.
Exactly my point. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hey JayBee, people started running the 1st shaft drive; the 1st one-way; the 1st adjustable threaded shock body, etc. because there was a LOGICAL reason to do it. Based on the numbers I've seen for the new Sanyos, there is NO LOGICAL REASON to use them. If we were running eight minute races and struggling to make time, then there would be a logical reason to use the Sanyos, but we're not so there isn't. And like Herminator said, changing parameters in no way changes the product, it only changes how we measure it.

But I'm going to follow your logic and start running square tires. Because that is different, and thus good. Never mind the fact that they will absolutely suck compared to circular ones (sort of like the IR and average voltage of the 3600's suck compared to GP).

BTW, you're not employed by Trinity and/or Sanyo are you?!?
mwcet8k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 04:56 PM   #49
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi everyone,

I just want to clarify a few things.

SMC is about performance, we have had a few months to test with the Sanyo 3600. ( both pre production and production) These cells offer nothing more then 10 seconds of extra runtime compared to the current GP cell. The high IR and Low voltage make this cell very hard to use or justify to use for racing. Trust me if their was a way to get them to perform we would have found it, For the people that Know Danny, this should be no surprise. Danny is a perfectionist.

The Current GP cell is pretty killer, They have tweaked it again for this last batch. GP is a company that keeps moving forward but does it in a reasonable manner. That is a random sheet from our matchers, we would not take the time to "doctor" a sheet up.

As Ray said earlier, mathematically the current GP cell could carry a shrink saying 3500MAH. The runtimes we are seeing indicate this . Hats off to GP, A legal 3500 mah cell that can be used in IFMAR & ROAR races this year

Parameters while matching, should be the same for grading purposes, Hermintaor hit it on the head with his comment.

Zapping makes a difference to every cell ( about 100-200th per cell) depending on the how that particular cell takes it. Our process is very unique and I am pretty sure no one has the same or a similar set up to us.

SMC is Moving forward with the New GP cell, Danny feels that we have outgrown 30 amp matching, it no longer weeds the good from the bad as accurate as it first did, Our touring cars are placing a lot more stress then 30 amps. So with that we are introducing a new "Pro Series" 35 amp matched line of packs.

The results have been incredible, Burch Wining the Mod Class @ Snowbirds and then Cyrul dominating The Carpet Nats, all with the new pro series concept.

Gentlemen, its time to raise the bar once again.

Korgae

SMC Racing

Last edited by Korgae; 06-05-2004 at 09:06 PM.
Korgae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:04 PM   #50
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by mwcet8k
Exactly my point. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Hey JayBee, people started running the 1st shaft drive; the 1st one-way; the 1st adjustable threaded shock body, etc. because there was a LOGICAL reason to do it. Based on the numbers I've seen for the new Sanyos, there is NO LOGICAL REASON to use them. If we were running eight minute races and struggling to make time, then there would be a logical reason to use the Sanyos, but we're not so there isn't. And like Herminator said, changing parameters in no way changes the product, it only changes how we measure it.

But I'm going to follow your logic and start running square tires. Because that is different, and thus good. Never mind the fact that they will absolutely suck compared to circular ones (sort of like the IR and average voltage of the 3600's suck compared to GP).

BTW, you're not employed by Trinity and/or Sanyo are you?!?

didn't i say were not running them 'YET' you idiot or can't you read . but you go on ahead and run those square tires, i'll wipe your ass all over the track.
it's only a 'matter of time' before we start running packs over 3300. and when we do, you just stick to what we're currently running shirttailer.
BTW, i'm not employed by Trinity and/or Sanyo, but if i was i'll still wipe you ass up all over the track

I'M JAYBEE AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE
Old 06-05-2004, 09:18 PM   #51
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to HuDy WiNnEr
Default Numbers

I heard that the 3600's wont be producing numbers that much higher than the 3300's right now my fukuyama 3300's when discharged to zero charge up to 3900 mah.s so i am not really looking forward to buying these its all about the way you take care of them and discharge its not all about the mah. or the money
HuDy WiNnEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:06 AM   #52
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
didn't i say were not running them 'YET' you idiot or can't you read . but you go on ahead and run those square tires, i'll wipe your ass all over the track.
it's only a 'matter of time' before we start running packs over 3300. and when we do, you just stick to what we're currently running shirttailer.
BTW, i'm not employed by Trinity and/or Sanyo, but if i was i'll still wipe you ass up all over the track

I'M JAYBEE AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE
Your maturity level is amazing Jaybee. But what I really think is great is what a tough talking badass you are on this message board. It takes a real man to talk to someone like that on here! I better not mess with you, because damn, you'll kick my ass if I do!!!
Old 06-06-2004, 02:13 AM   #53
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by mwcet8k
Your maturity level is amazing Jaybee. But what I really think is great is what a tough talking badass you are on this message board. It takes a real man to talk to someone like that on here! I better not mess with you, because damn, you'll kick my ass if I do!!!
I'VE COME IN PEACE; I'M JUST ALL TALK
and as far as asskicking, -- on the track man!!
don't get your kneehighs ina bunch. I'M OVER IT
Old 06-06-2004, 02:24 AM   #54
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
I'VE COME IN PEACE; I'M JUST ALL TALK
and as far as asskicking, -- on the track man!!
don't get your kneehighs ina bunch. I'M OVER IT
Likewise. Peace.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:00 AM   #55
Tech Addict

Hudy winner,

It has been said here before. The capacity of the batteries is for Discharge , not charge. There is a world of diffeference.

The rating is 3300 Ma for one hour. OR 3.3 Amps for one hour or 6.6 amps for 1/2 hour or 33 amps for 1/10 (6 mins) of an hour.

This isn't always true because as discharge amps increase IR has a lot to do with it. Some is lost to heat etc.

What they are trying to tell us is because the IR in the sanyo's is higer, it will not do the 36 amps in 1/10 of an hour. Because of this voltage is lower too.

What you put in to a battery is always more than you get out. They are rated on what comes out.
David Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 11:57 AM   #56
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to HuDy WiNnEr
Default thanks

David Root,

thanks for the extra info. on those I really epreciat it. now i understand the purpose for the new 36's.
HuDy WiNnEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 02:37 AM   #57
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to donoman

I bought a Triton charger because it could do LiPo's as well as niMH... Even though I suffer at max charge of 4A, I'm hoping this decision will help me in the future. I have a plane ready to be built, just need the time & organization to do it.

LiPo's are awesome technology but from what I've read they are very unstable.
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:29 AM   #58
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

Anyone knows the GP website?

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 05:43 AM   #59
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by GundamWZero
Anyone knows the GP website?
http://www.goldpeak.com/
Old 07-25-2004, 06:31 AM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to GundamWZero Send a message via Yahoo to GundamWZero Send a message via Skype™ to GundamWZero

Okay, I am not a noob when it comes to the hobby; I've been at this for little over 15 years......what I am a noob is at batteries.

Normally, its buy, run, charge, waste the pack and buy another. All that changed when I started racing on the tracks instead of backyard and park ground bashing. I evolved from 2000 mah NiCad cells, to 3000NiMH cells, to 3300 NiMHcells rather quickly ( gotta keep up, don't I?) So anyway, here is my question: Why so expensive? I spent about 200 dollars for two packs of Trinity Vis-Extra matched 3300mah NiMH batteries (which they had the lowest numbers and nobody wanted those), it has the GP logo. I also had two packs of Sanyo 3000mah NiMH which cost far less than the GPs. These where bought at two different points of time; when 3000 dominated then the 3300 showed up. Now I just want to by-pass the local hobby stores and go directly to the source; buy from GP. Do they do battery matching?

Its bad when a company jack up prices on a pack of matched batteries, and hold the prices there until a better set of numbers comes up. Then the prices drop on one set and go up on the other. This gives only a certain group of racers, sponsored racers, and those who have nothing better to do with money, access to these types of packs. In turn, I stay in Novice class races, where guys either don't have the funds or new to the hobby. And if I had to "bump up" to fill a position in the Stock class, I cheat (yeah I do, so what??) and switch to a modified motor to keep pace with those guys!

I love the hobby and and competing fairly and with honor, but how can one compete with the way things are changing in the hobby, and the prices are so high that you are left behind in the dark ages? 50 to 60 bucks is pretty reasonable for a pack of top of the line batteries, not $125 to $150.

And for what? Already, I lost a cell, a 3300 matched cell, in one of my packs. Now the 100 dollar pack is worthless.

If I don't know what I am talking about, let me know...... I got a lot of guys who would like the same thing without going to "spec-class" races.

‎"We fight not because we hate what's in front of us...
We fight to protect whats behind us."
GundamWZero is offline   Reply With Quote