R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-05-2004, 12:33 AM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally posted by 403forbidden
ROAR should approve Lithium Polymer batteries...3300 is old news compared to the 8000 mAh packs that Thunder Power has.
WHAT DA F--K!!??
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 12:39 AM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

5 posts? IP ban
Old 06-05-2004, 12:48 AM   #33
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Actually, the 8000 mAh pack I referred to goes for around $170. Lower mAh packs are even cheaper. You can get 6000 mAh packs for $139 here:
http://www.tppacks.com/

And prices are going down steadily.

Not bad considering the top of the line 3300 NIMH packs can reach almost $100 if not more. Furthermore, the best NIMH cells are not even available to the public! The matchers reserve them for their factory drivers

Also, one of the best Li-Po chargers is tha Astro Flight 109D which goes for around $110 to $130.

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieO
Well at $200+ a pack for lithiums, plus the cost of a new charger.....I don't think we will be seeing them anytime soon in racing....

I just had two cases matched up for sale.....and we had VERY few 1.15 cells, and really not many 1.116 cells either....most were 1.117 with a fair amount of 1.118 cells.

Later EddieO
403forbidden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:15 AM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

How come nobody ever discuss about those wierd looking panasonic 3500s?

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:48 AM   #35
Tech Master

Well, Fab, because they are illegal due to their shape.
And for our use, they do not gve better results.

How is the amps (powerwise) with current quality of lipo batts.
Are they faster in racing if put to the test 1-on-1 with GP3300 right now?
In touring cars I mean.
PizzaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 03:17 AM   #36
V12
Tech Elite

There was a discussion about the Sanyo 3600 here too.
Oscar from Team Orion said they tested about 6000 cells now and he agrees on the statement from SMC.

Also I heard from a different matcher there are some of the Sanyos with much higher capacity than the GP´s but voltage and IR really sucks.
Running on a very large 1/8 gas track as we have here sometimes the Sanyo´s may have a little advantage because of the higher capacity but on smaller tracks and for stock in general the Sanyos are useless.
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 07:26 AM   #37
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

$100 for a 3300???

Later EddieO
Old 06-05-2004, 08:09 AM   #38
Suspended

even more

$129 here:
http://www.peakmotors.com/batteries.asp

Like I said...the 3300's with the high numbers are not cheap.

Quote:
Originally posted by EddieO
$100 for a 3300???

Later EddieO
Old 06-05-2004, 08:15 AM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Those are list prices. You'd probably pay around $75 in a hobby shop for one of those.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:27 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TexRacer

403 your not real bright are you.
The prices you listed for YOUR batteries are selling price.
The prices you listed for NMH cells were retail and that $129.99 pack can be found for $67.99-79.99 depending on where your shopping.
#2 correction.NOT all matchers save cells for their teams and the public can more than win with 1.17's or higher in sedan and 1.15s or higher in offroad.
Hell last year I placed in the top 3 regionally with a XXT and 2000's due to lost luggage so dont give me that crap.KNOW YOUR INFO before you open your UNKNOWING filled mouth PLEASE TO GOD!!!!!!
I really DISLIKE unknowing Moron's like yourself.
If you DONT KNOW do us all a favor and SHUT UP!.lol
Now if you had some basic knowledge and it was truthful I would say post all you like for others without the knowledge to read and learn.You yourself are actually a person WANTING others to think you may have a clue when you actually DONT.So please save us the trouble of putting a STUPID sign on your head and sit back and read info posted by those with knowledge.Now if you have questions post away but dont make claims you have NO KNOWLEDGE OF.
Thanks in Advance for following your NEW RULES.
Les
Old 06-05-2004, 08:30 AM   #41
Suspended

Correction:

the price I listed for both types of batteries are retail prices..if you noticed, tppacks is the manufacturer of lipos...thus they sell at retail prices on their own site...cheaper at the LHS.

But I am not going to quote an LHS store price where people here cannot verify easily...like you did.

I never said ALL manufacturers withhold the top packs from the public...but a significant number of them most certainly do

anyhow you must be one an angry person...lol life is too short to worry aout people like you

Quote:
Originally posted by TexRacer
403 your not real bright are you.
The prices you listed for YOUR batteries are selling price.
The prices you listed for NMH cells were retail and that $129.99 pack can be found for $67.99-79.99 depending on where your shopping.
#2 correction.NOT all matchers save cells for their teams and the public can more than win with 1.17's or higher in sedan and 1.15s or higher in offroad.
Hell last year I placed in the top 3 regionally with a XXT and 2000's due to lost luggage so dont give me that crap.KNOW YOUR INFO before you open your UNKNOWING filled mouth PLEASE TO GOD!!!!!!
I really DISLIKE unknowing Moron's like yourself.
If you DONT KNOW do us all a favor and SHUT UP!.lol
Now if you had some basic knowledge and it was truthful I would say post all you like for others without the knowledge to read and learn.You yourself are actually a person WANTING others to think you may have a clue when you actually DONT.So please save us the trouble of putting a STUPID sign on your head and sit back and read info posted by those with knowledge.Now if you have questions post away but dont make claims you have NO KNOWLEDGE OF.
Thanks in Advance for following your NEW RULES.
Les
Old 06-05-2004, 08:40 AM   #42
Suspended

Oh another thing TexRacer, could you please stop harrassing me via email?

RC talk is not worth getting your panties in a bunch over.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2004, 10:20 AM   #43
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
but being different in this industry is sometimes a GOOD THANG!
Being different just for the sake of being different is not a "good thang". For example, changing the discharge cutoff from .90 to .85. What's the point of that? Well, you'll slightly increase the discharge time of the cell while slightly lowering the average voltage. BUT THE CELL IS STILL THE SAME! The matcher hasn't magically altered it. So exactly how do its numbers compare to another cell matched at .90 cutoff? The vast majority of racers, even serious racers, don't know. We can make a ballpark estimate and that's it because we don't have exact numbers to compare. So you see, there is no logical reason to be different there. Considering the cost of high end matched packs, I want exact numbers that I can compare side by side. Being different is ONLY a good thing when it's for the better. I haven't had a chance to take a close look at Novak's new matching methods yet, but I know the stats they produce for each cell are completely different than anything the industry has ever seen. If it's simply a better way of doing it, then I'll embrace it with open arms. If not, I'll pass.
mwcet8k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 11:30 AM   #44
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Quote:
Originally posted by mwcet8k
Being different just for the sake of being different is not a "good thang". For example, changing the discharge cutoff from .90 to .85. What's the point of that? Well, you'll slightly increase the discharge time of the cell while slightly lowering the average voltage. BUT THE CELL IS STILL THE SAME! The matcher hasn't magically altered it. So exactly how do its numbers compare to another cell matched at .90 cutoff? The vast majority of racers, even serious racers, don't know. We can make a ballpark estimate and that's it because we don't have exact numbers to compare. So you see, there is no logical reason to be different there. Considering the cost of high end matched packs, I want exact numbers that I can compare side by side. Being different is ONLY a good thing when it's for the better. I haven't had a chance to take a close look at Novak's new matching methods yet, but I know the stats they produce for each cell are completely different than anything the industry has ever seen. If it's simply a better way of doing it, then I'll embrace it with open arms. If not, I'll pass.

who came out with the 1st shaft drive; the 1st one-way; the 1st adjustable threaded shock body; the 1st 3300 packs, etc.,etc.--I CAN GO ON AND ON. it's called change, progress, 'being different'. OF COURSE THESE NEW BATTS AREN'T ANY GOOD 'YET', THEY HAVE TO PROVE THEMSELVES LIKE THE 1ST 2400 PACKS, 3000 PACKS, THE 3300 PACKS WE HAVE TODAY!!
dude get a grip and give me a holla when you get your 1ST 3600 PACK

YOKOMO--- simply put --- THEE BEST!!
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 12:14 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Herminator

Quote:
Originally posted by JayBee
who came out with the 1st shaft drive; the 1st one-way; the 1st adjustable threaded shock body; the 1st 3300 packs, etc.,etc.--I CAN GO ON AND ON. it's called change, progress, 'being different'. OF COURSE THESE NEW BATTS AREN'T ANY GOOD 'YET', THEY HAVE TO PROVE THEMSELVES LIKE THE 1ST 2400 PACKS, 3000 PACKS, THE 3300 PACKS WE HAVE TODAY!!
dude get a grip and give me a holla when you get your 1ST 3600 PACK

YOKOMO--- simply put --- THEE BEST!!
Changing the cutoff's and charge rates isn't actualy changing anything in the cell. It's just playing with numbers, which makes comparing cells, fairly, impossible.
Change of technoligy is good, but by changing parameters you're not actualy changing the product, just the way you measure performance.
What they can play around with is the zapping process, but that will take a long time to perfect, and from the looks of it may not even be worth it until Sanyo improve their own quality.
Herminator is offline   Reply With Quote