Search

Transmitter Settings\Aids

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Transmitter Settings\Aids

hi guys,

What features, do you use and why?

I just wanted to start a threadabout the above. I haven't seen anything about this previously and thought it wopuld be a interesting topic of discussion.

Personaly I have a KO Vantage, and I have all the gizmos switched off, I just use it to set my end points and off I go...

I have always been tempted to try things in the past and never have and thought my thumbs should be the only thing that determines the speed of the steering etc etc....

Possibly im missing a few tricks.

Lets discuss...
Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default Other functions

I am still getting the hang of racing and this fancy computerized radio, but here are some other functions i've used(Still alot to learn and use on this radio):

Dual Rate: I race pan car and dual rate can increase the rate at which the servo throws the wheels. If your steering feels sluggish, you can increase dual rate or if it feels too twitchy, you can turn down the dual rate.

EPA: Still don't totally understand this one, but this allows you to set the throttle curve of your trigger finger. A linear EPA means that at the mid point of your pull, the throttle is 50% and at the end point, it is at 100%, like a 45 deg chart. You can adjust that to suit how you race.

The radio I use has alot of other neat functions for nitro like mixing, braking etc, but I only race electric.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dynamic_e

EPA: Still don't totally understand this one, but this allows you to set the throttle curve of your trigger finger. A linear EPA means that at the mid point of your pull, the throttle is 50% and at the end point, it is at 100%, like a 45 deg chart. You can adjust that to suit how you race.
Thats Expo (Exponential), not EPA. EPA stands for End Point Adjustment, basically the travel of the throttle or steering. You can use it to limt steering lock, or ''turn down'' the throttle travel to make a car slower for a newer driver.

The best way Expo was described to me, is how the car drives. More throttle Expo makes the more aggressive, less makes it less aggressive. Ideal for different grip conditions (negative expo to calm down the power input). Less steering Expo will take the twitchiness out of a car, more will sharpen it up.

Be careful though, transmitter settings can mask a car's handling faults, but won't fix them.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

normally i just run the EPA for my throttle and steering for the car and speedo i am running then a little Expo on the steering just to settle my super fast servo , should have just bought the cheeper servo LOL
Old 07-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sidecarphil1
normally i just run the EPA for my throttle and steering for the car and speedo i am running then a little Expo on the steering just to settle my super fast servo , should have just bought the cheeper servo LOL
This is a mistake.

You are using a steering curve to calm down a fast servo - the steering might feel less sensitive near the centre, but it is still just as twitchy (relatively more so) close to full lock.

If the servo is too fast... move your finger/thumb more slowly! Or fit a basic Futaba which is pretty much all the servo most of us need in a touring car.

I only ever use sub-trim, EPA (end-point), EXP (exponential) and the dual rate, and only on the steering.

Everything else is set to 100% and linear. If the throttle feel is wrong, I use the ESC's own programming.

For the steering, set the sub-trim for symmetrical geometry on the steering linkages. Then, with dual rate at 100%, use the EPA to get full lock (no more, no less) when steering each way. On the track, decrease the dual-rate if necessary to decrease total steering. I always make sure the car can still turn full circle in the width of the narrowest normal section of track, so I'm rarely below 85-90% personally. Use the EXP to adjust the feel of the car with small inputs, I use corrections on the straight as a guide, never more than 10%.

As stated above, big adjustments and gimmicky adjustments just mask the true handling of the car - they won't make you any faster. Make the car handle well, use your hands to drive it fast, not the transmitter menus!
Old 07-26-2010, 02:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

When you guys sets your epa for trottle do you set at 100% or at your max radio settings??