Search

Need help with Indoor Track Design

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 07:08 PM
MVG
Tech Rookie

Default Need help with Indoor Track Design

Need help with Indoor Track Design
We are expanding Red Jacks Raceway in Cary, North Carolina from 3,000 SF (slot racing only now) to 14,000 SF. We intend to have a indoor carpeted RC track in the 50'x30' range. I have been trying to design a ROAR legal track (8 feet clearance at all points????). The attached drawing shows meet those requirements except for the "Zig-Zag" at the right side of the drawing, on either side of middle turn is 7 feet. Acouple of questions

1) Is 50' by 30' enough for a track?
2) Is this track something people would race on?
3) Is there a resource or good place for track designs or examples
4) Is the 7 feet spacing in these areas a problem?
5) Anyone have any better ideas?

If anyone can design a better track for this space and we use it, we would be willing to compensate you. The track needs to support running - road races, Oval, stadium trucks and monster trucks.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice you can offer

Mark....
[B][I]
Attached Files
Old 06-03-2004, 07:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can't open the file, mine says it's damaged. Anyways, the track size does seem small. Especially since our track here in Goldsboro, NC is 106x44 indoors carpet. I could do track designs no problem. But when you try to do oval... trucks... touring.. etc.. you will be very limited in track design unless if you run them on separate days. That is.. if you want to make full use of the track. Let me think up something...

Jimmy Mac
Old 06-03-2004, 07:30 PM
MVG
Tech Rookie

Default Trying again to post the Track design mentioned in the first post

The fist attempt indicated that the file was not working - try this
Attached Files
Old 06-03-2004, 07:36 PM
MVG
Tech Rookie

Default Response to KilRuf about design

I was hoping the design could be easily converted from road racing to Oval on, say Thursday's and Saturdays. I was also hoping to use a series of prefabricated jumps and slight modifications to the track for the trucks.

I'm sure that I'm making this seem to simple. We are are couple of slot racers fresh back from the world championships of slot car racing who upon return from the highest level of slot racing are flipping, crashing and fixing our RC cars as we learn to be better drivers.

Interesting Trivia....Ernie Provetti (Mr. Trinity) got his start building slot car motors and winding armatures. I used to run his stuff in the 70's....
Old 06-03-2004, 07:37 PM
Tech Elite

Haha, that's about what I came up with...
Old 06-03-2004, 07:43 PM
MVG
Tech Rookie

Default Is the 7 foot clearance a problem?

I can fix the problem by making the track 32' from top to bottom. But.....We are going to have a couple of slot track which may not fit. I was hoping to keep the track at 30'. I also notice many of the pictures of other tracks seem to have sections less than 8 ft. Is that True and if so does it make it a "back track".
Old 06-03-2004, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Well it can be done. But I've seen small tracks open big the first 2 race weekends, then die off due to larger tracks. But if you already have a group of guys willing to come out every weekend, then that should be great. I might even pop in from time to time once you get it set up. If you haven't been down here to Rosewood/Goldsboro... come check us out. We race every Saturday. We have both indoor and out door TC tracks. Currently we run on the Asphalt unless if it rains. Then we go indoors on the carpet. Then during winter.. we are indoors. We are also hosting the Region 3 Touring Electric and Nitro Championships this month. Stop on by and check it out.

Anyways, I'll pass on the word here about your place. Just post up here when yall are open.

The name is Jimmy Mac. I don't run the track here. Just a local racer that does all over the place racing. Take it easy...

JMac
Old 06-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Also, I would not worry what-so-ever about keeping 8 feet. Only way I'd worry would be if you ever held a Roar Race. So with a track that small... 6 feet would do just as good. I've raced on smaller (4foot lanes).
Old 06-03-2004, 07:47 PM
MVG
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks Jimmy Mac

I'll stop by to check you guy's out. We have a USRA slot race this weekend at the raceway (a multiple region race)