R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default What did I forget, starting with 1/10 TC

I'm thinking of starting with 1/10 electric TC besides the 1/10 nitro which I'm already running.

Currently I'm making a list of all the stuff I should get and I want to ask you guys a couple of questions so I can order everything and start right away.
Don't want to be waiting on a small part I forgot while I have everything ready to go.

Ok so here is the list of stuff I have so far, will be ordering everything from Rcmarket and Rcmart.

-Xray T3 Eu spec
-Tekin RS Pro
-Teken Hotwire
-Speedpassion 13.5T motor ( Local spec class)
-Speedpassion 4.5T motor ( Fun nitro like speeds )
-3x Team Orion moleculair 5000Mah 45C battery pack
-Team orion low profile servo
-Sanwa 451 receiver
-Mazda 6 speed bodyshell
-Couple of spurgears ( have to ask fellow clubdrivers which ones to get)
-Couple of pinion gears
-LRP Vtec 30X tires (local spec tire)
-Diff grease

I already have a charger which is sufficient for charging the Lipo batteries.
Also have all the setup material and tools to build and setup the car.

But some things I don't know, like does the speedo or motor comes with wiring, batteryplugs and sensor cable or do I have to buy that separately?

If I forgot some other essential pieces please let me know so I can order everything asap.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
Tech Addict

You'll need a sensor cable(s) and spare

C hubs
steering knuckles
rear uprights
wishbones

You never know what will happen out there..

This car is very strong, quick and handles incredibly well IMO. Needs few spares

RS pro has wires included but buy some spare its cheap

Shim sets 3mm, 5mm, 10mm are always useful for removing slop

I keep an 80w soldering iron on hand

Hopefully someone else will chip in with advice
hana166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Pretty much the same setup that I just bought. You'll need 3mm and 4mm turnbuckle wrenches if you don't already have them. You'll also need some chassis weights to balance the car.
NachoGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

transmitter....
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

You are going to want more than just a couple of pinions and a pinion caddy to hold them all is nice. Also whatever your track's preferred tire traction stuff is.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by hana166 View Post
You'll need a sensor cable(s) and spare

C hubs
steering knuckles
rear uprights
wishbones

You never know what will happen out there..

This car is very strong, quick and handles incredibly well IMO. Needs few spares

RS pro has wires included but buy some spare its cheap

Shim sets 3mm, 5mm, 10mm are always useful for removing slop

I keep an 80w soldering iron on hand

Hopefully someone else will chip in with advice
Ok, added the sensor wire and some motor/battery wiring.
I figured 12awg since I also have the 4.5T motor.
Already have all sorts of shims from the nitro car.
Soldering station check, have a pretty good one.

Spare parts will be bought at the LHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachoGrande View Post
Pretty much the same setup that I just bought. You'll need 3mm and 4mm turnbuckle wrenches if you don't already have them. You'll also need some chassis weights to balance the car.
Already have the turnbuckles and chassis weights.

I only need the specific electro stuff, will order tomorrow because the car is already on it's way.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
You are going to want more than just a couple of pinions and a pinion caddy to hold them all is nice. Also whatever your track's preferred tire traction stuff is.
Why would I need a lot of pinions, if I'm correct (don't know a lot about electric so I could be terribly wrong) there is a certain ideal ratio for a single track with a given speedo/motor combination?

Since I'm planning to only drive the car at my hometrack I'm guessing I only need to find the perfect ratio once, or is the ideal ratio affected by grip level or outdoor temperatures?

Added traction stuff to the list, tomorrow we have the national electric championship at the hometrack so I can inform which one to use.

Do I also need a set of tire blankets/heater?
Old 07-24-2010, 05:55 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS Motorsport View Post
Why would I need a lot of pinions, if I'm correct (don't know a lot about electric so I could be terribly wrong) there is a certain ideal ratio for a single track with a given speedo/motor combination?
Things change constantly. Tekin comes out with new software, you get a new motor that runs a bit different, track conditions change, you try some different speedo settings and all sorts of other things will cause you to want to try a different gear. Plus you will probably need a few just to find the right ratio for YOU. I bet if you poll 10 different drivers at your track, you will get 5 or more different rollouts.

Don't get me wrong, once you find the right gear for you, you might not change it again for the nest 10 races. Then something changes and you start all over again.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

tire warmers arent used as often as they used to be (i only use them on cool summer nights) so see what the fast guys at ur track do and copy them
Alex "ACE" Kubilus
ACE design works

Last edited by RaceAce701; 07-24-2010 at 08:26 PM.
RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:12 PM   #10
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAce701 View Post
how about some setup tools
a setup station(hudy, integy ect)
or a good camber guage (not an rpm plastic thingy)

tweek station

ride heigth guage

digital calaper
Read his post again. He already has all that stuff for nitro tc.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

sorry
Alex "ACE" Kubilus
ACE design works
RaceAce701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:08 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Hey there (I believe it's Daan),

Since we run both run on the same track (MACH) I can give you some advice:

-Speedpassion 4.5T motor ( Fun nitro like speeds ).....Change for a Speed Passion 6.5T or a 5.5T (if we are talking about a speed passion version 3) A few guys are already hitting 115 kph with a 6.5T. 4.5T is overkill when used with a Tekin.

-3x Team Orion moleculair 5000Mah 45C battery pack..... There are better better ones. Buy IP 5000Mah 50C batteries, GM 5400Mah 50C, Thunder Power...

-Team orion low profile servo, same as Sav÷x servos.....They still feel a little bit odd to me. I would go for KO PDS 2413, Sanwa or Futaba low frofile servo. Can't go wrong with these.

-Couple of spurgears ( have to ask fellow clubdrivers which ones to get)..... I believe size 84.

-Diff grease: Ask for Ewald at our club and ask for Speedworks diff grease. Just finished testing phase and already really great results. Especially important for modified.

Tire heaters, very welcome...We use them a lot. http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=1897 together with http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=1898 .

Battery plugs depends on what lipo you choose. If you buy IP 5000 (or 5600Mah) 50C batteries, than these plugs are included. Just ask a few guys at the club.

Buy some extra 12 awg wire. The wires supplied with the Tekin aren't sufficient.

Buy a motor heatsink with ventilator. LRP has a great one. Expensive, but works very well. http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/electr...efter/details/
Cheaper ones work as well, just ask the guys at the track.

For your Tekin a would advice to buy a Yeah racing ventilator. Just tape it with double sided tape on your chassis to cool down the Tekin (when used with modified). http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-yea...m-p-29521.html

Buy a second charger, to make life easier. There are cheap options like these: http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bat...?cPath=52_1271

Tire preparation: Trinity Tire tweak 2000 or Marc Rheinard tire additive http://magento.p121718.webspaceconfi...-additive.html
Also soem thin superglue is needed very ofter to (re)glue the tires.

If you need other addresses for ordering your stuff, hit me a pm. I know the right places . Especially the Xray itself!!

www.machheemstede.nl
..................................Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Gkh2xZcQU
Modified 4 life
Govert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingracer View Post
Things change constantly. Tekin comes out with new software, you get a new motor that runs a bit different, track conditions change, you try some different speedo settings and all sorts of other things will cause you to want to try a different gear. Plus you will probably need a few just to find the right ratio for YOU. I bet if you poll 10 different drivers at your track, you will get 5 or more different rollouts.

Don't get me wrong, once you find the right gear for you, you might not change it again for the nest 10 races. Then something changes and you start all over again.
Ok, I understand, will order a range of pinion gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govert View Post
Hey there (I believe it's Daan),

Since we run both run on the same track (MACH) I can give you some advice:

-Speedpassion 4.5T motor ( Fun nitro like speeds ).....Change for a Speed Passion 6.5T or a 5.5T (if we are talking about a speed passion version 3) A few guys are already hitting 115 kph with a 6.5T. 4.5T is overkill when used with a Tekin.

-3x Team Orion moleculair 5000Mah 45C battery pack..... There are better better ones. Buy IP 5000Mah 50C batteries, GM 5400Mah 50C, Thunder Power...

-Team orion low profile servo, same as Sav÷x servos.....They still feel a little bit odd to me. I would go for KO PDS 2413, Sanwa or Futaba low frofile servo. Can't go wrong with these.

-Couple of spurgears ( have to ask fellow clubdrivers which ones to get)..... I believe size 84.

-Diff grease: Ask for Ewald at our club and ask for Speedworks diff grease. Just finished testing phase and already really great results. Especially important for modified.

Tire heaters, very welcome...We use them a lot. http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=1897 together with http://rcmarket.com.hk/product_info....oducts_id=1898 .

Battery plugs depends on what lipo you choose. If you buy IP 5000 (or 5600Mah) 50C batteries, than these plugs are included. Just ask a few guys at the club.

Buy some extra 12 awg wire. The wires supplied with the Tekin aren't sufficient.

Buy a motor heatsink with ventilator. LRP has a great one. Expensive, but works very well. http://www.lrp.cc/en/products/electr...efter/details/
Cheaper ones work as well, just ask the guys at the track.

For your Tekin a would advice to buy a Yeah racing ventilator. Just tape it with double sided tape on your chassis to cool down the Tekin (when used with modified). http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-yea...m-p-29521.html

Buy a second charger, to make life easier. There are cheap options like these: http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bat...?cPath=52_1271

Tire preparation: Trinity Tire tweak 2000 or Marc Rheinard tire additive http://magento.p121718.webspaceconfi...-additive.html
Also soem thin superglue is needed very ofter to (re)glue the tires.

If you need other addresses for ordering your stuff, hit me a pm. I know the right places . Especially the Xray itself!!
Hey Govert, yes Daan it is.

Thanks for the great info and the pm with even more info.
Send you a pm with some more questions.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you really want to, you can add a Trinity Li-po warmer to that list.
"Always support your local hobby shop. Internet retailers do nothing to help you race." - Tom B.
taco94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #15
Tech Master

Thanks for the help guys, everything is on order.
Car arrives tomorrow, rest of the stuff within 10 days I hope( has to clear customs).